• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player Workload

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
WTF? You do have motorised cars over there that can exceed 15mph don't you? Durham to Taunton is 450 kilometres. The drive from Melbourne to Canberra, door to door, not just on the highway, takes seven hours and is 750 kilometres.

Call it 5 hours for frigging around in town, but really, the UK is the size of Victoria and you can't drive for eight hours anywhere that small.

And that is presumably the most extreme example you can come up with.
When I've travelled around the country watching the footy, it's getting into the towns etc which often adds the most journey times on, or the long ones can be heading somewhere not easily accessible by motorway, like Peterborough. I've been in my mate's car to somewhere like Kent and he's sped a lot more than he should and it still taken us about four hours or so

I agree with your basic point, just being a pedant as I said

Woodster

International Captain
Yes it is surprising how long it can take to make what should be a routine 3 hour trip in England. Not as simple as these 'estimated' route planners suggest in terms of time the journey takes!

A lot of these series are quite clearly all about the money, and I agree with Matt79 in that a lot of them are meaningless, imo. The T20 is suffering from severe overkill and the administrators won't relent until the profit from such tournaments diminishes. It is ridiculous to think the T20 World Cup took place not so long ago and already sides are planning for the next one in 2010! Serious overkill.

I don't think they are playing more cricket these days, just the schedules need to be re-jigged, they do spend a heck of a long time away from home, while admittedly being well rewarded for it.

I think squad rotation will begin to play a bigger part, and I'm in favour of England sending a reserve side to Bangladesh next year. It gives some of the fringe players a chance to play Test cricket, those that are out of form the opportunity to find some, and those that have been on the road for some time, the chance to spend some time at home. We all know how much good that can do.

For me it is a case of prioritising such tournaments and making changes to the side as necessary.