• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Home Ashes to return to free-to-air TV

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm of the opinion that the rights should never have been sold in the first place. It seems a little odd that it's the government and not the ECB that have taken a u-turn though.

Perhaps this summer hit home hard. England won back the Ashes and no one gave a fiddler's fart. Should see some of the viewing figures compared to '05.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm of the opinion that the rights should never have been sold in the first place. It seems a little odd that it's the government and not the ECB that have taken a u-turn though.

Perhaps this summer hit home hard. England won back the Ashes and no one gave a fiddler's fart. Should see some of the viewing figures compared to '05.
Yeah, they're a lot worse. But the ECB would never have made such a U-turn. Their attempts to get some live cricket onto free-to-air TV failed last year when the BBC didn't make a bid for anything at all. I'm not sure how the government can do this, I thought Sky's contract lasted until 2013, which is the next Ashes, but perhaps it's earlier in the year.

Personally, I think it's a lot more important to get a decent length and quality highlights package onto the BBC than any live cricket. It's pretty hard to get the time to watch home test cricket, but it would be good to have highlights at a time in the evening when kids can be watching.

Edit: The BBC has updated their article. It now says this would start in 2017.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, they're a lot worse. But the ECB would never have made such a U-turn. Their attempts to get some live cricket onto free-to-air TV failed last year when the BBC didn't make a bid for anything at all. I'm not sure how the government can do this, I thought Sky's contract lasted until 2013, which is the next Ashes, but perhaps it's earlier in the year.

Personally, I think it's a lot more important to get a decent length and quality highlights package onto the BBC than any live cricket. It's pretty hard to get the time to watch home test cricket, but it would be good to have highlights at a time in the evening when kids can be watching.

Edit: The BBC has updated their article. It now says this would start in 2017.
I think the figures for the current highlights on Five show that they don't really work as far as stimulating interest goes. I certainly didn't get interested in cricket by watching highlights anyway. Live sport has always been where it's at for me, although that might be a personal thing.

You could say that the sub-standard coverage is affecting the viewing figures, but the thought of Nicholas and Boycott commentating never stopped anyone from tuning in when it was all on Channel 4.

Now what we have to wonder is how much the landscape will have changed by the time this comes into effect. It's eight years away, it might have gotten to the stage where it makes no difference.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
All Test cricket should be free to air TV. ECB took short term profit over long term health of the game. I saw a survey where students in school ranked cricket as #22!

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Less money and popular > More money less popular. That more money would be temporary because the level of interest would go down and the money would eventually dry up too.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Less money and popular > More money less popular. That more money would be temporary because the level of interest would go down and the money would eventually dry up too.
Personally, I don't agree. Everyone plays football, everyone talks about the Premiership all the time, all the kids want to be Steven Gerrard and so on. And that's all on Sky.

I'd be worried that if the Ashes went free-to-air and the ECB lost ~25% of their income then the players would just rather play the IPL instead. I'd also be upset if they weren't able to subsidise the clubs and womens cricket as much.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This is where I'm coming from, too. I am very worried about what this idea might do to County finances. Making the Ashes free to air only will then massively deflate the value of the other Test series that now sell as part of the package. We could lose millions over this, which will knock on into the grass roots either having to charge families more to participate or simply cut down on sessions. We have a 14 week winter programme for Youth squads in Oxfordshire this winter - more than double what it was in previous years.

We can't play 1970s idealistic politics in a 21st century consumer market. Sky coverage is absolutely fantastic and IMO miles ahead of any other country, and we're going to piss that away for what? People who don't give a crap the rest of the year to spend one summer in four watching? Participation numbers are massively up because of Chance to Shine and Spirit of Cricket making things accessible. The women's game is the best in the world. That all runs through Sky, who fund massive amounts of coaching development to boot. The ECB know far better what's good for the whole game than the government. Get your hands off.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Absolute ****ing disgrace.

Meddling at its worst. Unless there is a sustantial compensation package then this is fair to noone.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, I'm in the pro-Sky camp on this one too. Even leaving aside the money, they've been good for cricket in the UK; no channel showed any interest in showing our away tests live before they came along and we're also treated to tests not featuring England from around the globe live now too. The BBC or ITV couldn't even be arsed to bid for a highlights package of home tests. It's clear which broadcaster has done more for the sport.

f_or_s raises an interesting point about the Premiership too; all its live games are on Sky or ESPN, but association football has never been more popular in the country. Back in the pre-Prem era I would guess the live Div 1 (as was) games that ITV or BBC showed got higher viewing figures, but those alone didn't translate into as much (popular) cultural significance.

There's no doubt that our 2009 win didn't have the impact that 2005 did, but that's not entirely due to the host broadcaster. Our 2005 victory was our first since 86/7 and the series was, objectively, a better contest. I'd disagree with Uppercut that no-one gave a toss about it tho; our win was still reported on the front pages rather than the back and was the lead story on the news programs of the day too, silly season as it may've been.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There has to be some live cricket on terrestrial. Otherwise there will be significant numbers of people who have been exposed to the sport. I would however say that things like World Cups are more suited to being on TV than Tests.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
There has to be some live cricket on terrestrial. Otherwise there will be significant numbers of people who have been exposed to the sport. I would however say that things like World Cups are more suited to being on TV than Tests.
This. I don't understand why they don't put the T20 cup or something out for tender from terrestrial.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Strange how there was such outrage over how cricket was lost to sky, and now there is outrage about the Ashes being lost to terrestrial.. I'm firmly in the pro-terrestrial camp to be honest, it's not like English cricket is starving, and you can see their penchant for the big buck when it came to Stanford, and nobody liked it, so it's a bit rich to say they are holding cricket to ransom now..

What is also worrying is how the Ashes get different treatment to other test cricket.. A step closer to world of English cricket where we only have the Ashes and T20 methinks

I just look at how I can watch more English cricket from the other side of the world, for less money than my parents do, who live a few miles from the county ground in Taunton.. That to me isn't right..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Presently we are more money and more popular because of the amount of input in state schools, particularly primary, that is providing a far better introductory window than channel-hopping fluke could ever manage.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Presently we are more money and more popular because of the amount of input in state schools, particularly primary, that is providing a far better introductory window than channel-hopping fluke could ever manage.
I'm so impressed when I hear about how much more cricket there is in schools than when my brother and I were younger, and it seems so much better for girls than it was when I was at school. But then again, so is football which has improved amazingly. I had to stop playing that when I was 11 because you can't play with boys after that and there were no teams! Now I see girls playing everywhere.

I think the T20 domestic competition helps a lot too though, as well as the extra Sky money. There's so many kids down at Chelmsford who would probably never get to an international match and they're having a brilliant time.

TambourineMan

Cricket Spectator
What nobody has picked up on is that the B list which requires terrestrial highlights and includes Home Test matches and World Cup matches featuring England is being scrapped. That means there's a significant chance that the only cricket on terrestrial TV will be the Ashes, no other series will even get highlights.