• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SCG to lose Test Cricket?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just posturing by Cricket NSW to get themselves a better deal out of the SCG Trust. Similar thing happened with the Docklands Stadium, MCC and Cricket Australia/Victoria when the 'G was up for renegotiations.

Wouldn't surprise if it were Sydney authorities who sold their soul first. :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Be a crying shame if the SCG lost test cricket, one of the venues IMHO. Hope it is just a negotiation tactic as vic says. Would the demand be there for the extra capacity of the Olympic Stadium tho? Could imagine there might be for Ashes tests, but for others?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with Vic but the idea does have some merit

After all, what's not to like about taking the game away from its revered, traditional home and selling it to a crap-hole out the back of nowhere and playing on a drop-in pitch?

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
After all, what's not to like about taking the game away from its revered, traditional home and selling it to a crap-hole out the back of nowhere and playing on a drop-in pitch?
Ha, lol. Never catch us doing anyhting like that. :ph34r:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Considering they could get double the money playing at the ANZ Stadium, could see them going this sooner then later. Reckon they will take ODI and T20I matches there this contract period and then Test matches there in the next contract period. Don't think they will take the Ashes there but India or South Africa could be a good bet.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with Vic but the idea does have some merit

You mean the venue close to the centre of Sydney's population and with public transport straight to the front door? Yeah, what a **** hole.

Agree with James though - tests should stay at the SCG but I wouldn't mind it if other forms went to Homebush. SCG holds about 50K now with the Trumper Stand in. Its still comfortably bigger than any ground in England UIMM.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You mean the venue close to the centre of Sydney's population and with public transport straight to the front door? Yeah, what a **** hole.

Agree with James though - tests should stay at the SCG but I wouldn't mind it if other forms went to Homebush. SCG holds about 50K now with the Trumper Stand in. Its still comfortably bigger than any ground in England UIMM.
No, you're right. Lords is the biggest and I don't think it holds quite 30k.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Homebush is actually a pretty terrible place to watch sport in general IMO. It'd be a complete farce, particularly now that the Trumper Stand has been built (and it's awesome tbh).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Remember hearing that members of the SCG have to pay something ridiculous to maintain their membership. Talking five figures each year?

What would they get for it then? Honestly, does anything ever happen there these days besides AFL and international cricket?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Why? Telstra's a league ground, not a cricket ground.
Most grounds around the world are multi-purpose these days.

It's very easy to get to Homebush by car and by train. SCG is awful for parking and getting in and out of the area by car or public transport.

Lots of people seemed to enjoy the concept of domestic T20 being played at Homebush last domestic season.

I'd be firmly against moving Test cricket there, but got nothing against ODIs and T20s going. Certainly worth a try I would have thought.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nah I'm against the move especially when it comes to Test Cricket.

I don't really care if a T20 each year is played at Hombush, in fact I would encourage it.

But the crowds aren't that high in Sydney and I think they would be even lower in the matches were played at Homebush, except for matches against England and probably India.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Homebush is actually a pretty terrible place to watch sport in general IMO. It'd be a complete farce, particularly now that the Trumper Stand has been built (and it's awesome tbh).
I've been fortunate enough to attend some of the biggest events staged at Telstra ) State of Origin, ARL Grand Final, Bledisloe Cup) and sit in some of the most expensive seats (corporate boxes on the half-way line)

Literally, the best thing about it was that I didnt have to pay for any of them because there is zero atmosphere, and the view is **** (most people went back into the function rooms and watched the events on big screens)

The only good thing is that transport is at the door so you can get the hell outta there as quickly as possible

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've been fortunate enough to attend some of the biggest events staged at Telstra ) State of Origin, ARL Grand Final, Bledisloe Cup) and sit in some of the most expensive seats (corporate boxes on the half-way line)

Literally, the best thing about it was that I didnt have to pay for any of them because there is zero atmosphere, and the view is **** (most people went back into the function rooms and watched the events on big screens)

The only good thing is that transport is at the door so you can get the hell outta there as quickly as possible
Yeah I agree with this completely.