Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCG to lose Test Cricket?

2011 and 2015 champ - find me in the Platinum Lounge -

SCG to lose Test Cricket?

Sorry if it's already been mentioned, couldn't find it anywhere

BBC SPORT | Cricket | SCG in fight to retain Ashes Test

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Just posturing by Cricket NSW to get themselves a better deal out of the SCG Trust. Similar thing happened with the Docklands Stadium, MCC and Cricket Australia/Victoria when the 'G was up for renegotiations.

Wouldn't surprise if it were Sydney authorities who sold their soul first.

Be a crying shame if the SCG lost test cricket, one of the venues IMHO. Hope it is just a negotiation tactic as vic says. Would the demand be there for the extra capacity of the Olympic Stadium tho? Could imagine there might be for Ashes tests, but for others?
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Brexit is the Tory party's baby; it's been a long and painful labour and, at the very last minute, they've sh@t all over it.'" - Frankie Boyle

Agree with Vic but the idea does have some merit

After all, what's not to like about taking the game away from its revered, traditional home and selling it to a crap-hole out the back of nowhere and playing on a drop-in pitch?
    Last edited by social; 11-11-2009 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    After all, what's not to like about taking the game away from its revered, traditional home and selling it to a crap-hole out the back of nowhere and playing on a drop-in pitch?
    Ha, lol. Never catch us doing anyhting like that.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Considering they could get double the money playing at the ANZ Stadium, could see them going this sooner then later. Reckon they will take ODI and T20I matches there this contract period and then Test matches there in the next contract period. Don't think they will take the Ashes there but India or South Africa could be a good bet.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Take ODIs and Twenty20s to Homebush but leave Tests at the SCG IMO.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Agree with Vic but the idea does have some merit

You mean the venue close to the centre of Sydney's population and with public transport straight to the front door? Yeah, what a **** hole.

Agree with James though - tests should stay at the SCG but I wouldn't mind it if other forms went to Homebush. SCG holds about 50K now with the Trumper Stand in. Its still comfortably bigger than any ground in England UIMM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    You mean the venue close to the centre of Sydney's population and with public transport straight to the front door? Yeah, what a **** hole.

Agree with James though - tests should stay at the SCG but I wouldn't mind it if other forms went to Homebush. SCG holds about 50K now with the Trumper Stand in. Its still comfortably bigger than any ground in England UIMM.
    No, you're right. Lords is the biggest and I don't think it holds quite 30k.

Homebush is actually a pretty terrible place to watch sport in general IMO. It'd be a complete farce, particularly now that the Trumper Stand has been built (and it's awesome tbh).
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Remember hearing that members of the SCG have to pay something ridiculous to maintain their membership. Talking five figures each year?

What would they get for it then? Honestly, does anything ever happen there these days besides AFL and international cricket?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Why? Telstra's a league ground, not a cricket ground.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Why? Telstra's a league ground, not a cricket ground.
    Most grounds around the world are multi-purpose these days.

It's very easy to get to Homebush by car and by train. SCG is awful for parking and getting in and out of the area by car or public transport.

Lots of people seemed to enjoy the concept of domestic T20 being played at Homebush last domestic season.

I'd be firmly against moving Test cricket there, but got nothing against ODIs and T20s going. Certainly worth a try I would have thought.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Nah I'm against the move especially when it comes to Test Cricket.

I don't really care if a T20 each year is played at Hombush, in fact I would encourage it.

But the crowds aren't that high in Sydney and I think they would be even lower in the matches were played at Homebush, except for matches against England and probably India.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Homebush is actually a pretty terrible place to watch sport in general IMO. It'd be a complete farce, particularly now that the Trumper Stand has been built (and it's awesome tbh).
    I've been fortunate enough to attend some of the biggest events staged at Telstra ) State of Origin, ARL Grand Final, Bledisloe Cup) and sit in some of the most expensive seats (corporate boxes on the half-way line)

Literally, the best thing about it was that I didnt have to pay for any of them because there is zero atmosphere, and the view is **** (most people went back into the function rooms and watched the events on big screens)

The only good thing is that transport is at the door so you can get the hell outta there as quickly as possible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information