• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rashid Latif finally admits it...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play for finally confessing, but given how blatant it looks one wonders why it's taken quite so long.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Personally I couldn't a monkey's until every batsman that didn't walk and every bowler who's taken wickets they knew damn weren't out start confessing.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Wow, the comments on the Youtube link are special. Clearly some lovely people out there....

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a bit like when someone who everyone already knew was gay comes out of the closet. It's not really news.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, the comments on the Youtube link are special. Clearly some lovely people out there....
Yeah this kind of clip really brings out the best of YouTubers.

Of the comments that are neither obscene nor abusive nor racist, the pick has to be this:

YouTube Halfwit said:
hey wait a a second he caught the ball and after sometime the ball came out, its same as when someone catches the ball and then throws it in 1 second

Matt79

Global Moderator
Just so we're clear, would you be able to post a link to this infamous claimed catch of Clarke's? I'm pretty certain I know which one you're referring to, but I'm continually confused as to why some people are SO up-in-arms about it, so am wondering whether I've missed something...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just so we're clear, would you be able to post a link to this infamous claimed catch of Clarke's? I'm pretty certain I know which one you're referring to, but I'm continually confused as to why some people are SO up-in-arms about it, so am wondering whether I've missed something...
Has to be the one against NZ;

YouTube - Michael Clarke catch

There was a contentious one in the Sydney Test against India but I thought it was fine.

Matt79

Global Moderator
nah bs... one had the ball fall out and bobble back in before he landed on the ground, the other took it, rolled over three times, dropped it, looked at it for a second, THEN picked it up and appealled.

The Clarke one is bad, but nowhere in the same league. I remain perplexed as to why he gets singled out for such loathing when there have been several instances much like that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I haven't seen one as bad as Clarke for a while tbf Matt.

But yeah, not as bad as Latif.

Clarke should have come out and apologised though, similarly to Jayawardene back in 2005. I don't remember Clarke doing it.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Fair play to Latif, obviously something he had to make public. A lot easier to do once retired and the weight of the media, public and officials expectations have dimmed.

Not sure if it will have any major reputational effects in years to come. Few will recall the name Rashid Latif in 50 years time as it is.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Fair play for finally confessing, but given how blatant it looks one wonders why it's taken quite so long.
Exactly and its amazing that he said this when it was so very blatant.
"If I had been convinced that I had not taken a clean catch and that the ball popped out of my gloves before I completed the catch motion, I would have called the batsman back"​

There is absolutely nothing to his admitting it now. What difference does it make? You have to be blind in one sense or another to sea that footage and still need to hear it from Rashid's mouth that it was not deliberate to know for sure.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
AB de Villiers last summer was pretty poor, it seemed obvious to everyone after the replay that he must have known it hadn't carried.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
AB de Villiers last summer was pretty poor, it seemed obvious to everyone after the replay that he must have known it hadn't carried.
Oh yeah, that's the one where Vaughan went and had a massive go at de Villiers at lunch and then got involved in a controversy about one of his own that afternoon.