• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Treachery of Jonathan Trott

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
"It was a sad day for English cricket......" so says Michael Vaughan in his autobiography "Time To Declare" LINK

Is it possible for a player at this level of the game to play with divided loyalties ?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it possible for Michael Vaughan to be more annoying?

So many players put me off them just after their careers with their books.

Edit: Patting an opposition player on the back and saying well done is hardly 'celebrating'

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd take this with a big pinch of salt. MV needs to sell his books. Trott was greeting and congratulating an old mate of his whom he hadn't seen for a long time and who was leaving the tour after the Tests. Players on each team know each other, greet each other, congratulate each other etc. I see no problem with that. After a Test series you expect the teams to get hammered in one team's dressing room together.

We'll see how divided trott's loyalities are during the Test series. I expect him
to give a wholehearted effort in the England cause. After his showing on debut I don't doubt his ticker.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Based on my experience of human nature the more South African that Trott considers himself the more motivated he will be when he plays against them

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It could just be Mick doesn't much care for Trott's brand of aftershave. I haven't seen any examples of it on the pitch or in interviews, but there have been a few subtle suggestions in the cricket meedja that Trott has a bit of a "singular" personality. In fact, given his form over the past two seasons, I'd kind of assumed this was at least part of the reason he wasn't called up until our Ashes hopes were circling the drain.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Moreso in ODIs. With some of the absolute bollocks that's passed for batting in England's ODI side over the past couple of years their continued ignorance of someone so obviously good at the format and with the figures to back it up seemed as though it had to have something behind it.

Word on the street is, he doesn't see eye-to-eye with KP.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Moreso in ODIs. With some of the absolute bollocks that's passed for batting in England's ODI side over the past couple of years their continued ignorance of someone so obviously good at the format and with the figures to back it up seemed as though it had to have something behind it.

Word on the street is, he doesn't see eye-to-eye with KP.
Surely that is in his favour in terms of judging his personality? ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Come what may, the fact that he'd never played more than a couple of useless Twenty20 Internationals until 2009 shows clearly that someone has(\had?) some sort of alterior motive about him - whether that be Vaughan or KP, and whether that be the fault of Vaughan\KP or Trott. It is not possible to completely ignore someone with such a strong purely-on-field-based-case without some sort of off-field-based reason. Well, unless you're a plain idiotic bunch of selectors, which England's however bad aren't, quite.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Both Vaughan and Flintoff have come across as self important ****s recently, IMO... All their opinions seem to be totally self centered and smacks of "I m bigger than England", really...

analyst

U19 12th Man
What is treacherous is the lady forgetting that many South Africans had forefathers who were English. It is fine to mock his decision to play for England from a simplistic point of view and a journalistic standpoint but hardly the wrong decision when his career is on the line and his pride is being mocked. Silly article, typical nonsense which should focus more on Kolpak's rather than players who have a genuine pathway to playing for their country. Ridiculous. Cricket is stuck in a rut while other sports embrace players from different nationalities, cricket takes this view that players are somehow misguided in choosing to play cricket for their country.