• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty 20 Expanded

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Is it going for too much of a good thing?

Next year we will have quarter finals as well.

As long as it doesnt go beyond that, ive got no problems...

But the ECB being as spineless as they are, will no doubt increase the amount of games, and the novelty will wear off rather soon..

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with Rich/Langeveldt/Jaques Rudolf or whatever he's known as! I really hope they don't go overboard with this because although it's good for the counties, it's not really good for the players even though it's a bit of fun. In 5 years everyone will have got bored with it and will view it as tacky anyway.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Just for an alternative opinion, maybe we should cash in before the novelty wears off?

Anyway I agree it should remain unchanged, although quarter finals aren't too bad (not too dramatic a change).

Andre

International Regular
I think the 20/20 could possibly be used as a pre-season carnival in the future.

Surely England could have a geniune, week-to-week 50 over competition? Would it not help the national side?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Andre said:
I think the 20/20 could possibly be used as a pre-season carnival in the future.

Surely England could have a geniune, week-to-week 50 over competition? Would it not help the national side?
Our test side can get bowled out inside 50 overs already. With the extension of the Twenty20 cup, they're working on getting that down too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Andre, the problem with making it a pre-season Tournament is that the weather is'nt good enough to play the game at the key time to get the target audience through the turnstiles.

Andre

International Regular
Ok - fair enough.

The idea basically sprang because it seems more suited to a carnival type atmosphere than ongoing cricket.

Maybe possibly a week's break from all other domestic cricket in England and have a 5 day '20-20 Carnival', with the final on a saturday or something.

Just a thought.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That's what they're planning on doing - moving all the group matches forwards to July and playing the finals shortly afterwards.

I look forwards to being there, once again :)

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
They wrote an article on Twenty20 in The Inside Edge earlier this year. For those who don't know, this is an Aussi Cricket magazine. It was well written, and they raised the question of wether Twenty20 was coming to Aus anytime soon. Does anyone know the answer?