• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who had careers that started off gun...

Sir Alex

Banned
I think Micheal Hussey qualifies for this list in test matches. He had a very good start to his career and about 2-3 years of great cricket but in the last few years it has been steady downhill.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Shoaib Akhtar
I watched him in the series in South Africa before the Eden test and I was really in awe that he was beating the South African batsmen because of sheer pace. When I met the Pakistan team before the Kolkata test, Shoaib was the one I was excited to meet more than most. Then, the Eden test happened and he made headlines.

Really makes me sad the way his career has panned out. One cricket magazine (of good repute) used to have a Shoaib meter and in it's every issue, it used to have some thing going on about Shoaib Akhtar which was unrelated to cricket. That's how his career has been - more out of cricket than in it.

JBMAC

State Captain
Dirk Wellham fits into this category admirably.Was once touted as future Australian Captain....and do not forget Ian Craig who was the youngest Australian Captain then his game fell apart

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Frank Hayes scored a century in his first Test and then played 15 more, nondescript innings in 3 years including 6 ducks.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
........ but what an innings it was - my memory may be at fault but weren't the majority of those who ran on to the pitch to congratulate him when he got to 100 West Indians?

although given the state of the game I suppose they could afford to be magnanimous

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
........ but what an innings it was - my memory may be at fault but weren't the majority of those who ran on to the pitch to congratulate him when he got to 100 West Indians?

although given the state of the game I suppose they could afford to be magnanimous
The sparse crowd was made up mainly of West Indians apart from the members area, though a few school boys ran on as well.

stumpski

International Captain
Laxman Sivaramakrishnan
Mohammad Zahid
Greg Blewett

Edit: noticed Siva's already been namechecked.

Tim Robinson
Rodney Hogg

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Harbhajan Singh. Never looked close to reaching the level of play which made him take 30 odd wickets in 3 tests.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Azharrudin

Started career with centuries in first 3 tests (a record), banned for life for match fixing and finally hit rock bottom when he became a politician

From the penthouse to the ****house in no time at all

Flem274*

123/5
Still better than Daniel Flynn.

Its time we moved on from our Sinclair rotating door. He's not up to it, there's many theories on why but the bottom line is he'll only fire one in ten goes. It's not worth it.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Three batsmen that started out as perhaps the best in the world but were merely very good after that:

Arthur Morris
Denis Compton
Dougie Walters

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
Still better than Daniel Flynn.

Its time we moved on from our Sinclair rotating door. He's not up to it, there's many theories on why but the bottom line is he'll only fire one in ten goes. It's not worth it.
tbh I know nothing of NZ cricket, but i'd relate it to Hodge in that, he clearly has a good record but regardless hes 34+ its time to move on anyway. (bad relation i KNOW)

That being said NZ do seem to lack a batsman that gets on with it.

Flem+Perm could you name your preferred NZ 11's for tests; just interested in an insiders view.