• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Feature: Eastern Promise

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
A couple of years ago, I read a book called "The Black Swan" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, which talked - to put it in layman's terms - about the ideas that Donald Rumsfeld had infamously termed "unknown unknowns" in a garbled press briefing on the Afghan war. In short, the theme is that the biggest impacts on your life are the things that you have absolutely no idea about until they happen. Take the bloke who steps off the pavement into the path of your car, for instance, or the power lines collapsing in a storm, inches from your front door.

In my case, last Monday afternoon contained the e-mail saying, "Neil, someone has had to pull out of the school exchange trip. Do you fancy coming to Tokyo on Thursday?" One of my rules for working at the place I do is "never be surprised by anything", but this rather stretched the bounds of credulity. Ignoring the fact that I didn't own a suitcase, and spoke as much Japanese as I did Tagalog, I decided that saying no would be an utterly stupid thing to do, and signed myself up for nine days of chopsticks and subway trains.

Read on...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am sure it is a great piece Neil because you are one of the best writers I have come across.

I am here to say that Eastern Promises is a great movie though.

*runs away*

Indipper

State Regular
A few things to cheer you up: Not all food in Japan is cartilagey (the Korean and Mongolian restaurants are pretty good I hear). And if Japanese simply walk away from you in the middle of a conversation they aren't pricks, they just don't like you.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
A few things to cheer you up: Not all food in Japan is cartilagey (the Korean and Mongolian restaurants are pretty good I hear). And if Japanese simply walk away from you in the middle of a conversation they aren't pricks, they just don't like you.
Much of the food was awesome... and no one walked off mid-conversation because my conversations don't get past "ohaiyu gozaimasu"...