Cricket Player Manager
Page 54 of 103 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Sri Lanka in India

Not yet, but will be I think.

Bhogle wrote an article about Gambhir, some interesting points raised.

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/con...ry/436716.html
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Dunno, Sehwag invariably has the advantage of already having been batting for 10 or 15 overs before he ever faces any spinners. If you always start your innings against pace and face spin once you're well-set, it's inevitable that you'll look like a better player of spin than of pace.

Agree with you though, keep Sehwag-Gambhir together. Isn't it by far India's most successful opening partnership ever?
    While being set is obviously always an advantage, I don't think it makes much of a difference to him. He simply does not rate spinners at all and he has come out and said so - and certainly he plays like he doesn't. That is actually his biggest weakness too - if he was more respectful he could be as good as Tendulkar is against spin. He's close anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Dunno, Sehwag invariably has the advantage of already having been batting for 10 or 15 overs before he ever faces any spinners. If you always start your innings against pace and face spin once you're well-set, it's inevitable that you'll look like a better player of spin than of pace.

Agree with you though, keep Sehwag-Gambhir together. Isn't it by far India's most successful opening partnership ever?

Ideally I would never want to fiddle with Sehwag-Gambhir partnership but the only reason I opted for Gambhir at 3 is because in the situation in the future of an Indian team without Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman, I can rely on an excellent batsman like Gambhir to take the responsibility more than an untested M Vijay. I havent seen any of the other players, I dont think much of Yuvraj or Rain at the test level.
    However if Vijay proves to be good, I would be happy to send him at 3 and leave Gambhir and Sehwag alone.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    While separating Sehwag and Gambhir is indeed not a great idea. I would surely like one of them to come down the order and strengthen the batting once the trinity retire. Three new faces with Yuvi makes me a bit queasy.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Ideally I would never want to fiddle with Sehwag-Gambhir partnership but the only reason I opted for Gambhir at 3 is because in the situation in the future of an Indian team without Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman, I can rely on an excellent batsman like Gambhir to take the responsibility more than an untested M Vijay. I havent seen any of the other players, I dont think much of Yuvraj or Rain at the test level.
    However if Vijay proves to be good, I would be happy to send him at 3 and leave Gambhir and Sehwag alone.
    I think if/when the time comes where India have two openers averaging in the fifties but an untested and perhaps fragile middle order, you'd want to ease their pressure by ensuring a good start more times than not. That makes it easier for the middle anyway and if the order is indeed fragile, you'd want to protect them from the new ball, as most of the new players are likely better at playing spin then they would be facing 150+ kph new ball bowlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    While separating Sehwag and Gambhir is indeed not a great idea. I would surely like one of them to come down the order and strengthen the batting once the trinity retire. Three new faces with Yuvi makes me a bit queasy.
    Why would you want the trinity to retire together? I'd say, let them play. They can be phased out (or will leave) at different times, and I guess they're aware of it. In the meanwhile, one place can be opened up for a newcomer, and they should stick to one for a long time, form slump notwithstanding. It will take time.

Besides, the Indians have still not found a replacement for Kapil Dev and Manoj Prabhakar, or even Anil Kumble (or maybe they threw that replacement aside inexplicably) in this team. But they seem to cope well with that, so why not the trinity? One of those three is already on his way out.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    Why would you want the trinity to retire together? I'd say, let them play. They can be phased out (or will leave) at different times, and I guess they're aware of it. In the meanwhile, one place can be opened up for a newcomer, and they should stick to one for a long time, form slump notwithstanding. It will take time.
    Don't think he's wanting the trinity to retire together, just stating that at some point over the next 3 years they will all retire.

If Murali has another poor test, how will this performance in IND go down in comparison with Warne's record in IND?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    If Murali has another poor test, how will this performance in IND go down in comparison with Warne's record in IND?
    They're about the same statistically are they not?

Banned
    Murali definitely has been the bigger threat in India when compared to Shane Warne.

I feel Murali is regaining form. he has discovered his old dip and flight, and the ball that got Gambhir is a good example of it. He is ripping it a bit more as well. If he gets suitable conditions, for the last time, he may run through Indian batting line up.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I think if/when the time comes where India have two openers averaging in the fifties but an untested and perhaps fragile middle order, you'd want to ease their pressure by ensuring a good start more times than not. That makes it easier for the middle anyway and if the order is indeed fragile, you'd want to protect them from the new ball, as most of the new players are likely better at playing spin then they would be facing 150+ kph new ball bowlers.
    Lol, as if that ever happens.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Interesting match ahead. Test match after 36 years at the stadium. Pitch seems to be a pretty good one for a result. No 1 ranking at stake.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Dilshan and Piranha on the war path.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Got a bad feeling about Murali. Might come up with something special this match.

Page 54 of 103 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread Information