Page 53 of 103 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Sri Lanka in India

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    What would be the point of that?
    Well Sehwag has always expressed his desire to bat in the middle order. Once Dravid, Sachin or Laxman retire India might also prefer him coming a bit lower to strengthen the middle order.

Vijay has been pretty good and consistent in the domestic tournaments. Eventually he will be the guy opening with Gambhir is what I believe.
    Last edited by Cruxdude; 27-11-2009 at 08:33 PM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    If you are not going to enforce the follow on when you by more then 400, when are you going to do it?
    Modern captaincy theory says never. Unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    Well Sehwag has always expressed his desire to bat in the middle order. Once Dravid, Sachin or Laxman retire India might also prefer him coming a bit lower to strengthen the middle order.

Vijay has been pretty good and consistent in the domestic tournaments. Eventually he will be the guy opening with Sehwag is what I believe.
    Assume you meant Gambhir there?

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Assume you meant Gambhir there?
    Yeah, my bad...

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    I know Vijay is a talented player and once Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman are gone, they need someone to bolster the middle order but I would rather send Gambhir at 3 than Sehwag down the order simply because of the effect he can have on the opposing team. His wide array of strokes and blistering hitting can snatch the momentum away within the first session and break the opposing team's spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Modern captaincy theory says never. Unfortunately.
    Australia and India just did it in the last 2 days.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    First, I'd never move an opener that averages 50+. Those guys are rare as gold. And if you have two of them, I'd keep them both and the good starts would ease the pressure on an inexperinced middle order. Hypothetically though, I would without a doubt move Sehwag out of the two. Down to something like 5. Sehwag is unreal against spin. Scary good - not as good overall as Sachin but not too far behind and probably more destructive.

Keep the two Delhi boys together, they enjoy batting with each other.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    I know Vijay is a talented player and once Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman are gone, they need someone to bolster the middle order but I would rather send Gambhir at 3 than Sehwag down the order simply because of the effect he can have on the opposing team. His wide array of strokes and blistering hitting can snatch the momentum away within the first session and break the opposing team's spirit.
    I'd agree with that. Sehwag is great to have as an opener because he really takes the momentum away form the opposition. The only thing I'd disagree with is putting Gambhir at 3. Gambhir and Sehwag form a great opening partnership and they know each other so well so why break them up?

Once Dravid retires, I'd actually put someone like Murali Vijay or Badrinath at the number 3 position. They are solid batsmen who can bat well if an opener goes early and they both bat very much like Dravid. I think it would be most logical to have either Vijay or Badrinath replace Dravid in the number 3 position and still have Gambhir and Sehwag opening the batting.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

How have Vijay, Badrinath and Raina been comparatively at first class level over the last 3 years?

Anyone comparatively better than somebody else?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    How have Vijay, Badrinath and Raina been comparatively at first class level over the last 3 years?

Anyone comparatively better than somebody else?
    There is also a guy called Abhinav Mukund who is as good as Vijay.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    There is also a guy called Abhinav Mukund who is as good as Vijay.
    But technically I would prefer Vijay.

And Arun Karthik is coming through the ranks fast too. We at TN seem to produce openers dime a dozen..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    But technically I would prefer Vijay.

And Arun Karthik is coming through the ranks fast too. We at TN seem to produce openers dime a dozen..
    The kickstart and template was undoubtedly provided by Mr Technique himself, Krishnamachari Srikkanth.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    The kickstart and template was undoubtedly provided by Mr Technique himself, Krishnamachari Srikkanth.
    Apparently there was a guy, T.E.Sivaramakrishnan or Srinivas, forgot the name.. Gavaskar reckons he was more talented and a better bat than he was and he juz threw it way due to temperament issues.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    First, I'd never move an opener that averages 50+. Those guys are rare as gold. And if you have two of them, I'd keep them both and the good starts would ease the pressure on an inexperinced middle order. Hypothetically though, I would without a doubt move Sehwag out of the two. Down to something like 5. Sehwag is unreal against spin. Scary good - not as good overall as Sachin but not too far behind and probably more destructive.
    Dunno, Sehwag invariably has the advantage of already having been batting for 10 or 15 overs before he ever faces any spinners. If you always start your innings against pace and face spin once you're well-set, it's inevitable that you'll look like a better player of spin than of pace.

Agree with you though, keep Sehwag-Gambhir together. Isn't it by far India's most successful opening partnership ever?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Page 53 of 103 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread Information