• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in India

No, he is there because the Indian selectors are on a six year Test cricket fantasy with him.

He is not a quality player. He should not play any Tests. Ever again. Obviously you can't drop him since he did well in the last Test, but he should have been dropped long ago. Wait until he starts failing again (and he will), and then drop him. And please keep him dropped. Terrible player.
He isn't as terrible as you make him out to be. All his centuries have come when India were 4 down for less than 70. He is not Ricky Ponting, but he isn't as bad as you seem to think. He has some weaknesses like any other batsman.

And BTW doing well only against one country does not make you better. FTR, Kapil averages less with the ball than Lillee against West Indies. On your argument Kapil > Lillie.
I just said Mahela has failed miserably everywhere outside Asia. Sehwag has done well in Australia, so that is one up on Mahela.

Shri

Mr. Glass
If they leave enough of the grass that's on the pitch, combined with some nice morning dew, I'm not sure that batting first would be the correct call.
Seeing off one hour of fast bowling and enjoying a batting track for the rest of the day? Would be a good option imo.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I just said Mahela has failed miserably everywhere outside Asia. Sehwag has done well in Australia, so that is one up on Mahela.
Do I have to repeat it once more? Sehwag played on roads against Aussies. Mahela played on seaming tracks against them. When the pitches they played have been same Mahela has been better than Sehwag (ENG, SAF and NZ)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Really backing the underfire Ishant Sharma and Amit Mishra to come good during this Test. I think that Ishant may have lost some speed, but that the overall ability is still there and he will retain his ability to bounce and reverse swing the ball. He just needs to hit that troubling length and he'll do fine. Even though he has bowled quickly in the past, his pace never troubled batsmen as much as the accuracy and movement did - a lot of his wickets occur when he is operating at 130-138kph from what I have seen, which is not to say that slower is better, but that the extra 5kph that he used to have, in some spells, is perhaps overestimated in people's eyes. He never has been consistently at over 140kph like Dammika Prasad, so the drop in his maximum speed does not have to be noticeably damaging for his Test career.

As for Mishra, I remain convinced that he is a high quality bowler and will take wickets if there are any wickets in the surface for spin bowlers. I think that he is a better Test option than Pragyan Ojha, simply because, as a leg spinner, he can pry wickets, when the situation may be tilted in favour of the opposition, whereas Ojha may need a long, threatening spell or the pressure to be on the opposition to be successful. This is not to say that Ojha is not Test standard - heck, he should be the likely replacement if either of the spinners get injured imo, but that with Harbhajan in the side, as a defensive spinner on the majority of tracks, the attack may lack variety.

Shri

Mr. Glass
India's recent record when there's something in it for the bowlers on the first morning leaves a bit to be desired.
It should all be good if Gambhir and Dravid open. Sehwag should come in at no.5 in green tracks, after the ball has stopped swinging.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sehwag also tonned up against RSA in RSA batting at no.5. It was also his 1st test hundred iirc. Adding to that, he was a middle order bat initially who was given a chance to open by Ganguly. He should be able to do well at no.5 imo.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
India's recent record when there's something in it for the bowlers on the first morning leaves a bit to be desired.
Still far better than their performance on a flat deck on the first day
metallics2006 said:
It should all be good if Gambhir and Dravid open. Sehwag should come in at no.5 in green tracks, after the ball has stopped swinging.
You wouldn't want to sacrifice Dravid just to see off the new ball, would you? He too has been suspect as a long-term choice, so he's played few games as an opener.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
There's talk of Amit Mishra being benched in favour of Pragyan Ojha. While both are good bowlers, I find that an extremely negative tactic, and detrimental to the talented, productive and experienced (albeit outside of Tests) Mishra. He needs a long run in the team to get used to Test cricket and develop as a bowler, and flat pitches don't help anyone. Short-sighted, narrow-minded, blinkered policies of dropping promising (and useful) players just because they're out of form or struggling in a kind of setup, is a lot worse. The Indians have suffered enough because of this, and it has to stop.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Still far better than their performance on a flat deck on the first dayYou wouldn't want to sacrifice Dravid just to see off the new ball, would you? He too has been suspect as a long-term choice, so he's played few games as an opener.
If I had power over selections, I would drop Yuvraj and play Vijay and Gambhir as openers and bat Sehwag at 5. We dont have much options and so I had to choose between available players. Dravid / Sachin or Laxman can easily open in tests in one off games played at green tops imo. Nothing beyond their abilities as far as batting positions are concerned.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If they leave enough of the grass that's on the pitch, combined with some nice morning dew, I'm not sure that batting first would be the correct call.
This is India, you really need to think very hard before you set yourself up to bat last. The old adage about always batting first holds doubly true in India.

He isn't as terrible as you make him out to be. All his centuries have come when India were 4 down for less than 70. He is not Ricky Ponting, but he isn't as bad as you seem to think. He has some weaknesses like any other batsman.
Haha, yes, all 3 of them. Congratulations.

Though I agree with you SS, he WAS dropped. He was then RECALLED, and hasn't really done too badly since.
Why would you recall a bad player? And no he hasn't, hence you keep him until he starts to fail again (which he will). And then drop him forever.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's talk of Amit Mishra being benched in favour of Pragyan Ojha. While both are good bowlers, I find that an extremely negative tactic, and detrimental to the talented, productive and experienced (albeit outside of Tests) Mishra. He needs a long run in the team to get used to Test cricket and develop as a bowler, and flat pitches don't help anyone. Short-sighted, narrow-minded, blinkered policies of dropping promising (and useful) players just because they're out of form or struggling in a kind of setup, is a lot worse. The Indians have suffered enough because of this, and it has to stop.
Would be a strange decision- essentially blaming Mishra for a pitch no one could take any wickets on- needless to say, I'd be annoyed, but it's India's loss.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Herath was the best spinner in view for SL. But if the pitch is a real skidder, Mendis is the man. SL needs raw pace in their fast attack. So Fernando preferred over Kulasekara unless it's a green track. This line up is the possible.

Paranavithana, Dilshan, Sangakkara, M. Jayawardane, Samaraweera, Mathews, P. Jayawardane, Herath, Muralidaran, Fernando, Welagedara

If another fast bowler bites dust in this match, we are in for trouble.