• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in India

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Malinga is no longer test quality imo. There's more to bowling than pace. He is too predictable and doesn't give good batsmen much trouble. An in form Sharma + fit Zaheer is better than the SL pace attack. Although the Indians depend on swing more to take wickets.
Based on what exactly?

Malinga hasn't played Test Cricket (or any First Class cricket for that matter) in 2 years.

R_D

International Debutant
...and the Pakistanis, and most countries who think that a 150kph bowler will solve everything. The common consensus is probably right in that you cannot be a front line seamer under 125kph, though.
Yeah .. pretty tough to trouble batsman at International level at that pace unless there's alot of swing offered from the pitches.... even than world class batsman will be able to negate swing at that pace.

Sir Alex

Banned
I am looking forward to this series excitedly. I would like to see how the Indians have learnt from playing Mendis last time around, or whether they have learnt at all. ODIs are completely different and we have seen even master Muralitharan being tonked. I would also like to see how Yuvraj deals with the two spinners here. I am also happy for the Sri Lankan team touring because I would get to see three of my most favorite cricketers namely Murali, Sangakkara, and Jayawardena playing.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Malinga is no longer test quality imo. There's more to bowling than pace. He is too predictable and doesn't give good batsmen much trouble. An in form Sharma + fit Zaheer is better than the SL pace attack. Although the Indians depend on swing more to take wickets.
He is not test quality because he is not fit.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
What exactly is Malinga issue, is it than SRI selectors dont think he can last 5 days?
Not 100% IMO. He had a very serious knee injury, and it is not healing well. Malinga is expected to bowl lengthy spells when the ball reverse swings. Selectors don't want to break him by using in tests. Until he's fully fit (and when he's fully fit hits 145k regularly and goes pass 150k as well) he's utilized in ODIs. But from recent performances, it seems he's struggling in ODIs too.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Unless my arithmetic is very bad, this means its about five weeks since India played Sri Lanka for the first time ever in this test match. :)

I am really worried now. I will surely die in the next 5-6 weeks :wacko:

Kidding :)

It really is surprising that we have played just 29 Tests over the last 27 years against our Southern neighbours and were playing three Tests every year against our Western neighbours ! How come ?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Not 100% IMO. He had a very serious knee injury, and it is not healing well. Malinga is expected to bowl lengthy spells when the ball reverse swings. Selectors don't want to break him by using in tests. Until he's fully fit (and when he's fully fit hits 145k regularly and goes pass 150k as well) he's utilized in ODIs. But from recent performances, it seems he's struggling in ODIs too.
Interesting. Hope to see him back in tests soon, would be disappointing if that injury restricts him to just ODIs & T20s.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Won't watch much of this series. India-Sri Lanka matches seem quite boring to me most of the times.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Do not agree with the selection of Sreesanth - he has done nothing to deserve it - he should be ripping teams apart in the Plate League and as long as he is not doing that, he cannot be seen as a long term Test option - heck, he did not even perform well for Warwickshire. He has been picked purely on the Irani Trophy performance (one innings!) where Munaf took more wickets than him, and yet, Munaf gets dropped - absolute madness. Even if you can justify Munaf getting dropped on the basis of a lack of Test wickets, Sreesanth can surely not be rationally justified as a replacement. I do not doubt his ability to take a crucial five wicket haul, but while we are looking at long term options, we cannot consider someone who cannot perform consistently at First Class level, and never has.

Other than that, it looks a strong squad and I do hope that Yuvraj can show himself a good batsman and that Ishant Sharma can regain his form in Test cricket.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Why do they select 15 men squads for a home series? Is it mandatory? Atleast 3-4 among those are going to simply waste time sitting in the dressing room in the middle of the domestic season.

R_D

International Debutant
Why do they select 15 men squads for a home series? Is it mandatory? Atleast 3-4 among those are going to simply waste time sitting in the dressing room in the middle of the domestic season.
Probably Just making sure every zone gets at least one of their player in the squad 8-)