• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in India

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The point is that the pitch is expected to detoriate. At least, that's what I've been told.

I think 400, 425 or 450 in the 1st innings of a test is not enough to realistically expect the team betting first to either win or draw the test. On a flat pitch, which shouldn't be so flat on day 4 or 5, 500 should be the minimum. If the Lankans reach 550+ tomorrow (big if though, yet possible I think), and if Herath & Murali get things right, when they bowl on day 4, India might have a problem.
It's expected to deteriorate, yeah. I'd be surprised if it deteriorates from a pitch where 425 is a below-par score to one on which you can't bat out a draw, but hopefully it does and makes a game of it.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh my, it is not looking good. Early wickets are absolutely necessary and for that, we must rely on Zaheer (which is okay) and the arguably out of form Ishant (which is not as okay). I try to remain optimistic, but it is looking like we may go 1-0 down if Sri Lanka mount a truly mammoth total.

Uppercut

Aye. It's not like any other bowlers are getting wickets on this deck either. Even Murali struggled to turn it yesterday.

Burgey

Where's the coverage for this series in Aus? Is it Fox Sports or Setanta? I think it should be a good series tbh.

Shri

Mr. Glass
How much time will it take for two spinners to quickly bowl 10 overs in a test? Should get to 80 overs quickly an take the new ball while the swing is still there in the morning.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aye. It's not like any other bowlers are getting wickets on this deck either. Even Murali struggled to turn it yesterday.
Murali's performance can now be seen in perspective IMO

Anyway, looks like it's going to be a good contest

Xuhaib

International Coach
wow Jayawardena really sneakin in almost 9000 runs an average of 53 yet he is no way near an all time great list.

R_D

International Debutant
wow Jayawardena really sneakin in almost 9000 runs an average of 53 yet he is no way near an all time great list.
Yeah he is bit under-rated for sure.
I think he's got average record away from Sub-continent so why he might not be rated that highly.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah he is bit under-rated for sure.
I think he's got average record away from Sub-continent so why he might not be rated that highly.
Averages low 30s in both Aus and SA

Basically, he's known to have a bit of a weakness when the ball bounces more than he's used to but is a top quality player nonetheless

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Averages low 30s in both Aus and SA

Basically, he's known to have a bit of a weakness when the ball bounces more than he's used to but is a top quality player nonetheless
Barely played a game in Australia and South Africa. Scored a hundred last time he was in Australia as well and averaged 40 odd. He hasn't played South Africa in 8 years. Shows more Australia and South Africa dire scheduling and unwillingness to play a meaningful Test series against Sri Lanka for mine.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
of course he has a fairly poor record in Saf and Aus but 27 hundreads is a fair effort. Would like to see this game get a result but the pitch only getting better

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sri Lanka with a few surprises though - I don't recall seeing Uda Walawwe Mahim Bandaralage Chanaka Asanga Welegedara, what is he like?
I feel so vindicated.

I've been touting Welegedara for over 4 years as being the best thing in SL.

No one wanted to hear it.

Guess I was right.

:laugh:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
One test doesn't mean much, well one spell. I'm sure he will break down next test, has he ever played more then two matches in a row during his whole career.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
One test doesn't mean much, well one spell. I'm sure he will break down next test, has he ever played more then two matches in a row during his whole career.
He's only played one test previously and he was the pick of our quicks. He should have been retained after the home series against England. He didn't break down until after he was dropped.

My point always has been he's of a higher quality to all the other fast bowling options in SL. Forget if he breaks down after this match. Its plainly clear that if he's fit, he should be in the side.