• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies In Australia

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty interesting reaction from Punter after their referral was turned down ..... set the tone for the day i think.
TBF, all that he did was swear a little when they were all talking in a group. He hardly went up and pestered the umpire. If it's just a team huddle and you're out of earshot, surely he should be allowed to say what he wants.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I hear Bollinger uses it quite a bit for NSW at the SCG. This is from what I heard in the media and Mark Nicholas said the same thing.
Word. Well i can ony judge him based on what i've seen so far in int'l cricket, doesn't look like the reverse swing type - very much a hit the deck/seam bowler. But if he really can. he needs to remember how to do it ASAP of course...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Word. Well i can ony judge him based on what i've seen so far in int'l cricket, doesn't look like the reverse swing type - very much a hit the deck/seam bowler. But if he really can. he needs to remember how to do it ASAP of course...
Can't see it being the decisive punch in these conditions. TBH, there'd be more conventional swing around.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBF, all that he did was swear a little when they were all talking in a group. He hardly went up and pestered the umpire. If it's just a team huddle and you're out of earshot, surely he should be allowed to say what he wants.
Or charge towards the umpire, or have a little tantrum or whatever else to show the umpires up.

It is high time he copped a ban for these piss poor on-field antics.

Sylvester

State Captain
All the reports from State cricket say hes a swing bowler as well but we haven't seen that so far.

Watson on at last, Hauritz hasn't looked too threatening.

R_D

International Debutant
Or charge towards the umpire, or have a little tantrum or whatever else to show the umpires up.

It is high time he copped a ban for these piss poor on-field antics.
Fact that he's been able to get away with these tantrums so many times.. is why he continues to have them.

Top_Cat

Fact that he's been able to get away with these tantrums so many times.. is why he continues to have them.
TBH he's been pinged quite a few times too. He gets away with it no more than anyone else does, I reckon. That he keeps doing is just because he's one of those 'highly competitive' types. Y'know, a knob.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see it being the decisive punch in these conditions. TBH, there'd be more conventional swing around.
Conventional swing is there for sure. But with Johnson/Bolly/Sids bowling with such a scrambled seam, they aint got get any swing. Missing Hilfy in more ways than one ATM..

Top_Cat

Conventional swing is there for sure. But with Johnson/Bolly/Sids bowling with such a scrambled seam, they aint got get any swing. Missing Hilfy in more ways than one ATM..
Don't think he'd have made much difference. The pitch is a road. Ask anyone who's bowled on AO, you can't charge in and try to swing/cut the ball or you'll go the journey. Playing on this pitch is a test of patience as much as anything as the WI showed so well yesterday.

TBH he's been pinged quite a few times too. He gets away with it no more than anyone else does, I reckon. That he keeps doing is just because he's one of those 'highly competitive' types. Y'know, a knob.
Ponting only has to halfarsed look in the umpires direction and you will get drop kicks lining up saying he was trying to intimidate the umpire or chucking a tantrum. Pontings success has inflicted that much pain on some people that they will turn anything into a negative against Ponting.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Ponting only has to halfarsed look in the umpires direction and you will get drop kicks lining up saying he was trying to intimidate the umpire or chucking a tantrum. Pontings success has inflicted that much pain on some people that they will turn anything into a negative against Ponting.
Nah he's just a massive SOB.

Top_Cat

Yeah agreed, there's no need to panic really. Sure the WI have only lost 3 wickets but the run-rate is well under control right now, the Aussie bowlers look like they're doing all they can on this pitch. They'll have to bat very well and quickly to set the Aussies a good target + leave themselves enough time to bowl OZ out at this rate.

Thing is, I can't see them really throwing the bat either. They're only 200 in front when they'd need to be 300+ in front to be even remotely safe from a loss. A couple of wickets and the Aussies are right back in it so they need to keep batting relatively conservatively.

If I was Ponting, I'd be just looking to keep a lid on things for the last session. The WI are the ones who'll have to push to be in with a chance of winning the game so let them and hopefully strangle them as they try. Going hard for wickets might just give the WI batters more scoring opportunities at this point.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I reckon that there's no real need to throw the bat. If they set Australia 300 off 80 overs tomorrow, then it'll be a pretty entertaining day's cricket. Maybe 330 off a full day's play.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah looks like a draw, hopefully WI go all out next session. If they can put up 330-350 and bowl a few overs tonight then we may get a result. Aussie will go for it if you put the carrot out in front of them.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think he'd have made much difference. The pitch is a road. Ask anyone who's bowled on AO, you can't charge in and try to swing/cut the ball or you'll go the journey.
The only type of fast bowling that can get wickets on flat decks, is fast bowlers who can reverse it. We saw that in IND when AUS toured last year (Khan & Sharma). Plus what we saw from Lee, Hoggard & Agarkar in recent Adelaide tests in the last decade.

Hilfy is the only man who can reverse/covention swing the ball consistently. He definately would have made a difference here. Would have probably gotten Gayle out early too..

Playing on this pitch is a test of patience as much as anything as the WI showed so well yesterday.
Yes, but they also had Benn exploting the rough patches againts the left-handers. Hauritz doesn't have that. Thats why Taylor & co crying out for Katch to bowl whole day now..