• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies In Australia

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If the selectors think Hughes has a technical issue with the short ball (and they do), wouldn't they want to see some sign from him that he's overcome that before they whack him back in?

Phil Jaques, come on down.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Burgey, I kind of agree with you, but feel that if Hughes out performs Jaques in the upcoming Shield Match against Tasmania, Hughes will come in for sure. If Jaques dominates and Hughes does little, it'll be very interesting who the selectors decide to pick. There is always Rogers too.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
How can they drop players who have done well recently for someone who was dropped, even if he makes more runs in a domestic match than they do?

inbox24

International Debutant
I think at full strength and fitness Australia should definitely go with Hughes, Jaques and Katich in the same team, pick quality, not positions. Don't know where they should bat but all should at least be in the team. One example:

Katich
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Hughes
Haddin

So when Katich retires, Hughes can slot up top and someone else such as Watson can come in there. As long as North or MickeyD is not there it's all good.

Hodge or David would've been alright at 6 in days gone by but whatever.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If the selectors think Hughes has a technical issue with the short ball (and they do), wouldn't they want to see some sign from him that he's overcome that before they whack him back in?

Phil Jaques, come on down.
I dont think he really has a problem with the short ball TBH. I just think he found Flintoff uncomfortable, since in SA vs Steyn & co on some faster pitches he handled the short ball VERY well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I dont think he really has a problem with the short ball TBH. I just think he found Flintoff uncomfortable, since in SA vs Steyn & co on some faster pitches he handled the short ball VERY well.
I don't think the South African bowlers bowled too many short good balls to him, despite getting out for a duck on debut playing a poor shot against a very short ball.

Hughes needs to get bat onto ball a lot, I don't think he has a glaring weakness against the short ball but with his awkward technique it doesn't look he's in so much control.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think at full strength and fitness Australia should definitely go with Hughes, Jaques and Katich in the same team, pick quality, not positions. Don't know where they should bat but all should at least be in the team. One example:

Katich
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Hughes
Haddin

So when Katich retires, Hughes can slot up top and someone else such as Watson can come in there. As long as North or MickeyD is not there it's all good.

Hodge or David would've been alright at 6 in days gone by but whatever.
There are a couple of problems with that team '24. Somehow two guys who are NOT NSW players have snuck in. Surely you'd prefer:
Hughes
Jaques
Katich
Clarke
Watson (it's ok to like him now, he's a Bluebagger)
some other Sydney random
Haddin
Lee
Bracken
Clark
Bollinger

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah Smith obviously deserves North's place. I mean Norrh just doesn't look international quality.