• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies In Australia

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Siddle should surely be the man to make way for Lee. He's a very good bowler but the fact is that there are currently three better quicks than him in the country.

I wouldn't write off Hilfenhaus in Australia. He's a lot faster than the way people talk about him would have you believe (possibly compounded by his conservative use of the bouncer). Any bowler with his level of pace and accuracy with a hint of outswing can certainly expect success in test cricket.
The ball doesn't swing much here. He's not as bad as Anderson when it doesn't swing, but he's not very effective. Siddle > Hilfenhaus imo, Ashes figures nws.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Unless 90mph yorkers that reverse a mile are no longer any use in test cricket, he's awesome. No one who has watched him bowl since the start of the English summer could possibly argue otherwise.
Uppercut, you're confusing Lee's ODI form, and possibly also one brief spell against the Lions with his test bowling. The two need to be looked at quite seperately because Lee's career record shows there's little correlation with him being a world beater with the white ball, and often only average with the red. In any case, I just can't see him bowling a full load in back to back tests.

Matt79

Global Moderator
The ball doesn't swing much here. He's not as bad as Anderson when it doesn't swing, but he's not very effective. Siddle > Hilfenhaus imo, Ashes figures nws.
Exactly my thoughts. Reckon Hilfy will look average if he ever has to bowl to a decent line up in conditions less conductive to his style than he found in England and to a lesser degree SA. Siddle is developing with ever outing and has a style that will fare much better in the roads we seem to get served up down here these days.

Burgey

Exactly my thoughts. Reckon Hilfy will look average if he ever has to bowl to a decent line up in conditions less conductive to his style than he found in England and to a lesser degree SA. Siddle is developing with ever outing and has a style that will fare much better in the roads we seem to get served up down here these days.
Much as I admired Hilfy's efforts in England (and tbf they were such as to earn him first crack this summer), weren't his SA figures cod-ordinary too?

howardj

International Coach
Unless 90mph yorkers that reverse a mile are no longer any use in test cricket, he's awesome. No one who has watched him bowl since the start of the English summer could possibly argue otherwise.

With respect, he has always been a good white ball bowler.

TO bring this 34 year old guy back, who averaged 47 with the red ball last summer, and who is injury prone, is a retrogressive, nonsensical move.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The big flaw in that argument is that he destroyed the NZ lineup in the 2 Tests smack bang in the middle of the two aforementioned series. He showed no signs of injury then - rather, he was up against a popgun batting line up.
No Lee himself said otherwise, which looking back is cleary true. Lee went into the IND series not playing any cricket (test, ODIs or t20s) since WI 08 because of marriage issues - thus as Lee & the entire AUS attack came up againts IND on those flat pitches & failed to get the ball to reverse swing, the all struggled.

Lee clearly up until he got injured in the boxing day test wasn't bowling with his typical rhythm. Lee taking 5 vs NZ is more a referendum on how poor the NZs batting was ATT - rather than Lee showing any form.

Matt79 said:
Uppercut, you're confusing Lee's ODI form, and possibly also one brief spell against the Lions with his test bowling. The two need to be looked at quite seperately because Lee's career record shows there's little correlation with him being a world beater with the white ball, and often only average with the red. In any case, I just can't see him bowling a full load in back to back tests.
This argument would be valid if it was still Lee of ENG 01 to ENG 05 we where speaking about. But Lee of WI 05 to WI 08 before he got injured clearly evolved from this phase.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Will be interesting to see if Hodge gets a call up if Clarke isn't ready for the 1st test also.

inbox24

International Debutant
There is no way Australia should drop Lee or Clark, unless they want to slide further down the rankings. Siddle and Johnson are nowhere near ready despite 1 OK series helpful South African conditions. These guys lack the experience and consistency (particularly the latter) to succeed by themselves at international level. They are also missing some skillsets which they need to develop a bit at domestic level first. The bowling attack for the summer should be:

Lee
Hauritz
Clark
Hilfenhaus

With that you have a nice mix of accuracy, speed, swing and spin. This meshed with experience and consistency makes it still one of the better bowling attacks in the world. If one of these guys were to be injured, then bring in Johnson or Siddle (although personally I would look to others before turning to them), but not the other way around.

pasag

RTDAS
Massive blow if Clarke doesn't make it for the first Test. Pretty much our best batsmen out.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is no way Australia should drop Lee or Clark, unless they want to slide further down the rankings. Siddle and Johnson are nowhere near ready despite 1 OK series helpful South African conditions. These guys lack the experience and consistency (particularly the latter) to succeed by themselves at international level. They are also missing some skillsets which they need to develop a bit at domestic level first. The bowling attack for the summer should be:

Lee
Hauritz
Clark
Hilfenhaus

With that you have a nice mix of accuracy, speed, swing and spin. This meshed with experience and consistency makes it still one of the better bowling attacks in the world. If one of these guys were to be injured, then bring in Johnson or Siddle (although personally I would look to others before turning to them), but not the other way around.
Lee - massive punt
Hauritz - a must
Clark - will never play another test
Hilf - will be dropped before end of summer as there are many better bowlers

Uppercut

Maybe, but when he's played no tests and plenty of ODIs for the past year it's all we can go by. I agree with what aussie says too, I think you're holding a completely different incarnation of the bowler from four or five years ago against the player he is now. The Lee bowling in ODIs (and against the Lions) has a lot more in common with the bowler of '07-08 than that of '08-'09. More to the point, I don't believe that any one of Midge Johnson, Ben Hilfenhaus and Peter Siddle are currently better bowlers.

Fair point on the fitness though. Would be good to see him get through a few four-day games first.

Last edited:

inbox24

International Debutant
Lee - massive punt
Hauritz - a must
Clark - will never play another test
Hilf - will be dropped before end of summer as there are many better bowlers
Not picking them based on whether the selectors will or not. But I disagree with Hilfenhaus opinion. He's our only genuine swing bowler and quite consistent too. He may not luck as many as Johnson but will be more of a stable bowler the others can build around.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Much as I admired Hilfy's efforts in England (and tbf they were such as to earn him first crack this summer), weren't his SA figures cod-ordinary too?
Yeah. I wasn't able to watch those matches, and am told he bowled better than the figures suggest.

Uppercut

Yeah. I wasn't able to watch those matches, and am told he bowled better than the figures suggest.
Ish. He was bowling too short and you wouldn't have expected him to pose much of a threat at all to the South African batting lineup the way he was bowling. But an average of 50-odd is probably a tad OTT.

Massive improvement in England though.

Matt79

Global Moderator

Lee
Hauritz
Clark
Hilfenhaus

sorry, that's outlandish. Johnson was the ICC cricketer of the year last year and dominated in Oz last year. He had a form slump in the Ashes but was clearly turning it around by the end of the series.

Agree he and Siddle have improvement still to accomplish, but they were two of the better performed quicks in the world last year and Siddle is visibly improving with each series under his belt. You want to drop them because they're inexperienced? As in don't ever bring in anyone new? How will they ever stop being too inexperienced if they can't get more games under their belt? If you're answer is that they go back to FC, that's a joke - the las thing they need is to go back to an environment where without bowling at their best they can dominate - they'll learn more playing better opponents. And this summer is a good time to let our future develop. It's debateable whether Clark is over the hill now, but in another six months he definitely will be getting close. What's the point of giving he and Lee a testimonial season against relatively weaker opposition and then being in the same boat in March.

Would love to know who the better options than Johnson, on top of Lee and Clark, that you reckon are out there.