• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies In Australia

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In fairness, Hussey has been in decent ODI nick for a while now (one of OZ's best batters, really).

It's not even the numbers which tell a story with Huss here, it's his manner of dismissal. If a bloke gets out shouldering arms once every couple of years, fair enough but twice in a series to what were pretty straight balls? It's not enough on it's own to drop the guy but it's eyebrow-raising at least, especially from a bloke who has been an opening batter for most of his career.

He gutsed out a ton in England and good on him but without it, his case for retention would have been abysmal. With it, it's 50/50 I reckon.
Hmm, not really having that. Not right now anyway. Right now, he has to play. Maybe if he fails for a couple of tests it's time to go. Scrappy though his Oval century was, a scrappy century is something Watto's never come close to managing in 18 innings.

Top_Cat

Tis weird, bceause if his eyes were going that badly, you'd think he wouldn't be able to place the ball so deftly in ODIs. Gotta be a mental thing there, rather than just some physical decline, I'd think.
Yeah, I wasn't blaming eyesight entirely. Seems to be reticient to play his off-side drives as well as being unsure about when to leave the ball. Wild guess but it suggests he's worried about nicking out but you'd have to be in and about training with him to have a better guess. If he's nailing everything pitching a 2cm wide of off in the nets, a big score is a matter of time.

Part of me wants him to play so we don't see another ****ing blue bagger in the side, though.

Top_Cat

Hmm, not really having that. Not right now anyway. Right now, he has to play. Maybe if he fails for a couple of tests it's time to go. Scrappy though his Oval century was, a scrappy century is something Watto's never come close to managing in 18 innings.
Of course that's true. And tbh he can't win anyway; if he fails, blokes like me will say "See, told ya!" and if he scores, blokes like me will say "Pfft, was only the WI."

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Doran took 3/102. Hardly spectacular is it? I know we are playing badly in this warm up match but to say North will take 10 against us is just plain idiotic.

Apparently Roach has bowled very well but has had no luck at all with 3 catches dropped of his bowling, 1 going between 1st and 2nd slip, 2 dead cert caught behind decisions went against him as well as a number of very close lbw decisions. So he has secured one of the bowling slots alongside Taylor.

Lets face it Gayle is pretty much out of the first test so we are going to have to think of a different option.

My revised 1st test lineup based on this warm up so far:

Adrian Barath
Dwayne Bravo
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Shivnarine Chanderpaul (batted 4 in the warm up match)
Narsingh Deonarine
Brendan Nash
Denesh Ramdin (C, WK)
Darren Sammy
Jerome Taylor
Kemar Roach
Gavin Tonge

- I would put Bravo up to open as he did it in youth cricket and looked good in that position against SL in 2008.
- Rampaul has bowled so badly in this match that Tonge looks better with each passing over.
- Predictably, Benn has been awful. Part time bowler Deonarine was much more economical than him and actually took a wicket with a ball that turned and had the batsman caught at slip.
- Darren Sammy is in the side just to add that extra stability down the order and his sensible medium pace bowling might help to keep the run rate down and build pressure more effectively than Benn who will just be a liability.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Do people really think Watson had a great Ashes campaign? To not convert any of his starts was very disappointing, especially for an opening batsman.

I dunno, I guess I'm getting sick of players getting picked for the 'step up in class format' due to form in the other game.

I believe Watson, Hussey and Bollinger have all cemented a place in the 12 due to there one day form.

Note: I don't think all 3 should be out of the 12.

Top_Cat

Doran took 3/102. Hardly spectacular is it? I know we are playing badly in this warm up match but to say North will take 10 against us is just plain idiotic.
Give a sense of humour a try. Seriously, you'll love it.

Also, I really don't think you're familiar with just how ordinary he is. It's a warm-up, the players are still getting used to being here, etc. But geez.....

Top_Cat

Do people really think Watson had a great Ashes campaign? To not convert any of his starts was very disappointing, especially for an opening batsman.
3 50's is 3 50's, though. It's more than most would have backed him for. Disappointing he didn't turn one in a ton having done the hard yards but it's still a reasonable run of scores.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Not really looking forward to this test series if this is the sort of competitiveness we can expect from the West Indies. Simply horrific performance against a really average Queensland team. I know it is just a tour game, but it doesn't fill you with confidence that the summer of cricket is going to be at all enjoyable.

They are getting whipped by two debutant bowlers, the worst leg-spinner in the country, three batsman who have done sod all in there first class careers, and hell even Chris Simpson is making runs.

I long for the days of a bygone era when the visiting West Indies team filled you fear of the onslaught to come. Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop were the three big West Indian quicks I grew up watching. I don't believe Rampaul, Roach and Bravo quite fill you with the same level of fear. A feast of half-volleys more likely.

/Rant

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater

Apparently Roach has bowled very well but has had no luck at all with 3 catches dropped of his bowling, 1 going between 1st and 2nd slip, 2 dead cert caught behind decisions went against him as well as a number of very close lbw decisions. So he has secured one of the bowling slots alongside Taylor.

Lets face it Gayle is pretty much out of the first test so we are going to have to think of a different option.

My revised 1st test lineup based on this warm up so far:

Adrian Barath
Dwayne Bravo
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Shivnarine Chanderpaul (batted 4 in the warm up match)
Narsingh Deonarine
Brendan Nash
Denesh Ramdin (C, WK)
Darren Sammy
Jerome Taylor
Kemar Roach
Gavin Tonge

- I would put Bravo up to open as he did it in youth cricket and looked good in that position against SL in 2008.
- Rampaul has bowled so badly in this match that Tonge looks better with each passing over.
- Predictably, Benn has been awful. Part time bowler Deonarine was much more economical than him and actually took a wicket with a ball that turned and had the batsman caught at slip.
- Darren Sammy is in the side just to add that extra stability down the order and his sensible medium pace bowling might help to keep the run rate down and build pressure more effectively than Benn who will just be a liability.
Tonge and Sammy won't play so forget about them.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Shiv is going to need to score around 500 runs in this coming series for it to be at all competitive based on what we've seen so far.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think Hussey is there because they want to keep some senior players in the side. I don't think he did enough in England to really make him an automatic choice. Even his 100 came at the expense of Ponting :p.

howardj

International Coach
I think Hussey is there because they want to keep some senior players in the side. I don't think he did enough in England to really make him an automatic choice. Even his 100 came at the expense of Ponting :p.
With Katich and Ponting, there is ample experience on the batting front.

You could even slot Clarke into the experience bracket.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
With Katich and Ponting, there is ample experience on the batting front.

You could even slot Clarke into the experience bracket.
Yeah and it's not as though North and Haddin are young Cricketers who need someone like Hussey to help them out.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think they don't like axing players, and that they wouldn't have been too upset if Huss had retired from tests in the interim, but his hundred and ODI form means that they're giving him another shot. If he doesn't perform, and Hughes scores more runs in the Shield, I don't expect him to last out the series against the Windies.

Hell, I hope he scores 300 runs in the Gabba test and puts this question to rest, because I do like the guy.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Siddle
Bollinger

would be the best XI out of the squad named imo. Thoughts on swapping Clarke and Hussey in the batting order?

pasag

RTDAS
Give Hussey a chance, he's done so much he at least deserves the benefit of the doubt for the summer.