• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies In Australia

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah no doubt that Rampaul is quicker. He's not really quick enough to worry quality batsmen though. But personally (and bare in mind it is a personal opinion) I think that Sammy would be more complimentary to Roach than Rampaul is. Sammy isn't a world beater by any means but for some reason he seems to have a knack of picking up wickets from nowhere and potentially tie up an end, which I haven't seen Rampaul do as of yet.
But what I'm saying is that Rampaul can bowl in the 140-144 range, but only in very short bursts. And if you look at him, you can see why. He's just not fit enough. I think Rampaul did an excellent job troubling and then dismissing Ponting in the last match on, let's face it, a good batting wicket. It shows what he can do. And that for me is potential.

Howsie

International Captain
He was in the CT squad. Definitely a lot of ability, and by this time next year I think he'd have played at least one Test. A massive benificiary of the University team, because like a lot of Bajans, he wouldn't have played much first-class cricket otherwise.
Yea. A West Indies fan on another board I visit has talked him up abit and said he's a pretty good young bowler (He was saying the same thing about Roach a year 1/2 back also) Will be eagerly waiting for him to debut tbh.

Andre

International Regular
But what I'm saying is that Rampaul can bowl in the 140-144 range, but only in very short bursts. And if you look at him, you can see why. He's just not fit enough. I think Rampaul did an excellent job troubling and then dismissing Ponting in the last match on, let's face it, a good batting wicket. It shows what he can do. And that for me is potential.
Yeah, it was a good batting wicket but I don't think he did a heck of a lot to earn Ponting's wicket, it kind of came from nowhere.

The best I've seen him bowl was his first few overs up in Brisbane; I have been very disappointed since.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Yea. A West Indies fan on another board I visit has talked him up abit and said he's a pretty good young bowler (He was saying the same thing about Roach a year 1/2 back also) Will be eagerly waiting for him to debut tbh.
I think McLean is a bit more prepared as a bowler than Roach was when he started earlier this year, actually. Roach may have more natural ability, but McLean looks intelligent and well coached.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Yeah, it was a good batting wicket but I don't think he did a heck of a lot to earn Ponting's wicket, it kind of came from nowhere.

The best I've seen him bowl was his first few overs up in Brisbane; I have been very disappointed since.
Maybe you were watching a different match to me then, because Rampaul had been troubling Ponting on that offstump before the dismissal. After he found that there was movement back into the right hander he bowled a good little spell where, with a little more luck or help from the pitch he could have had more than just Ponting. Yes, Ponting played on, but I think if you watch the sequence of balls before that, Rampaul was working on his offstump nicely.

Howsie

International Captain
I think McLean is a bit more prepared as a bowler than Roach was when he started earlier this year, actually. Roach may have more natural ability, but McLean looks intelligent and well coached.
Same pace, or is Roach a little quicker?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Same pace, or is Roach a little quicker?
I haven't seen any West Indian bowler around these days with the pace potential of Roach, outside of Edwards. Taylor can get it up too, but shouldn't given how frail he is. McLean is sharp though. Has some batting ability too.

Howsie

International Captain
You would think that if the Windies get their pitches sorted out at home that an attack of Taylor/Edwards/Roach and if needed Rampaul/Pascal/McClean could do some real damage. All three of them are capable of bowling 90mph+ and given the fact that Fidel has improved out of sight over the past 18 months they really could give any batting line-up touring a real working over.

Burgey

Seems pretty true - not much sideways. Decent carry without the alarming bounce of yore.

Burgey

So set to be another WACA featherbed as the match goes on?
Looks that way atm.

Edit: don't give a rat's how many he gets, or the fact he's been lucky, Watson has played some sublime shots today. One of the more enjoyable test innings by an Australian in some time imo.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Yeah he's been great to watch. Get ready for the carry-on, over the top celebration to end all carry-ons if he makes it to 100 though.