• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Most Selfish Players you've Seen

inzi_afridi

Cricket Spectator
I think throughout the years there havent been many selfish players but some of the GREAT players have been known to be selfish.

for instance in my opinion Boycott was great player but i think dat he was a very selfish once Botham was even sent in to run him out!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Most Selfish Players you've Seen
Shahid Afridi.

Don't know what he goes out trying to do most innings', but it sure isn't score runs and thus try to benefit his team (because, you know, scoring runs benefits your team). Maybe he cares more about his marketability as the ultra-aggressor than his team's fortunes?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Shahid Afridi.

Don't know what he goes out trying to do most innings', but it sure isn't score runs and thus try to benefit his team (because, you know, scoring runs benefits your team). Maybe he cares more about his marketability as the ultra-aggressor than his team's fortunes?
Sehwag could be accused of the same thing. Trouble is, he has a few double centuries to his name, all of which were scored fast enough to give his bowlers ample time to bowl out the opposition twice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think Sehwag could be accused remotely of the same thing TBH. Just about every time I see Sehwag bat he plays in the way that could reasonably be said to give him the best chance of scoring as many runs as possible.

Sehwag is of course a far more talented batsman than Afridi but he helps himself by actually trying to score runs, something Afridi doesn't all that often appear to try to do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Although that's obviously true (and ditto Mohammad Azharuddin) it's a rather different type of selfishness to the standard putting-personal-gain-before-team.

Which as I say is far rarer than some would like to think due to being far less possible than some seem to think. As I've said a good few times before, Don Bradman put it best: "I've always tried to do the best I can for the team I'm playing for. If they want me to go in there and lose my wicket so that they can win the game, well then I'll be quite happy to do so. If on the other hand they want me to get runs, then I try to get as many runs as I can for the team I'm playing for". And as a bowler it's even more borderline-impossible to be more concerned with your figures than those of the team because almost no wicket taken can damage the team's prospects and if an exceptionally rare occasion when the team needs to concede runs should crop-up, then joke-bowling can be used to far greater effect than any front-liner.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting. Cost his Team a Test to avoid a fine.

Gavaskar. Used an ODI as batting practice.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kallis, Tendulkar, Ponting and Lara take up all the runs and don't leave many for the other players.

Bradman too, what a hog :ph34r:

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sehwag could be accused of the same thing. Trouble is, he has a few double centuries to his name, all of which were scored fast enough to give his bowlers ample time to bowl out the opposition twice.
Pfft, how convenient.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Steve Waugh. If you check how many times he has been run out and how many times he has run others out, it is quite staggering.

Isura

U19 Captain
Kevin Pieterson and Shiv Chanderpaul. Both are clearly their respective countries best test batsmen, but protect themselves by batting down the order.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting. Cost his Team a Test to avoid a fine.
This was my initial thought. People always name players like Kallis, KP but can never come up with an example, it's just an impression they kinda give off.