• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Most Selfish Players you've Seen

Isura

U19 Captain
Most of this is bollocks tbh, Chanderpaul gets called selfish for putting a price on his wicket, so does Kallis.

Wish NZ was blessed with 'selfish' players like that.
Chanderpaul bats at 5 when he is Windies best test batsmen for a long time now. Look at all the innings when he's left not-out. I bet he costs WI about 10-15 runs per inning by not batting at 3

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Just been to get Michael vaughan's new book signed by the man himself in Liverpool, old fella in the front of me in the queue went to Adelaide in 02-03 and had a rant to Vaughan about Butcher being selfish and not playing out the last over. made me LOL, Vaughan didn't quite know what to say.
You went to a book signing with Lillian_Thompson?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Chanderpaul bats at 5 when he is Windies best test batsmen for a long time now. Look at all the innings when he's left not-out. I bet he costs WI about 10-15 runs per inning by not batting at 3
Sorry thought Sarwan batted there. Na they should clearly entirely forsake a lower order so they just totally collapse when Chanderpaul gets out, good plan.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Think that there's a fair argument for him batting @ 4.

Bevan was another who was accused quite a bit at some stages of being selfish, especially towards the end of his career where expected rates at the end of the innings had begun to climb, 60 off the last 10 wasn't really as acceptable as it was during his prime.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Think that there's a fair argument for him batting @ 4.

Bevan was another who was accused quite a bit at some stages of being selfish, especially towards the end of his career where expected rates at the end of the innings had begun to climb, 60 off the last 10 wasn't really as acceptable as it was during his prime.
Think he plays very well with the tail and forms good partnerships with established batsman. The problem being West Indies are probably one good batsman short of having a decent batting lineup. Bravo at 4 could work maybe?

Gayle
---------
Sarwan
---------
Chanderpaul
Nash

Would be my top six, the other opener is a hard case to sell too.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
See, looking at that, Nash and Chanders are both patient batsmen who, generally, aren't going to take the attack to the bowler. Reckon that:

Gayle
--
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Bravo
Nash

Has a better look about it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
See, looking at that, Nash and Chanders are both patient batsmen who, generally, aren't going to take the attack to the bowler. Reckon that:

Gayle
--
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Bravo
Nash

Has a better look about it.
Would probably go with that. Chanders does seem to be a very ritualistic batsman though, maybe it's psychological?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would probably go with that. Chanders does seem to be a very ritualistic batsman though, maybe it's psychological?
Chanders is just weird as ****. He's generally a defensive batsman but sometimes- for reasons only known to himself- decides to play consecutive slog-sweeps for boundaries, regardless of whether the match situation requires it. And he never seems to get out playing them.

If Chanders says he's batting at five, then he's batting at five.

Redbacks

International Captain
A few summers ago I think it was Bill Lawry who spoke of a county match where Wasim Akram needed to hit a 6 to make his hundred and win the match. The result was he was caught and his side lost rather than getting the couple required.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Obvious example of Kallis's one-eyed approach was the 5th test during our 2004 tour. SA needed the win to tie the series, time was running out and they had to put runs on the board quickly to make a viable declaration, but Jacques actually slowed down when he passed his 100. 4 or 5 of his teammates fell trying to force the pace, but Kallis was resolute.
Another Example was the Sydney test match couple of years back.....
Same situation, South Africa needed to win that match to draw the series and Smith was looking for quick runs so they could declare with enough time to get Aus out. While rest of the team was doing there best to accelerate... Kallis was happy to block off over by over... Other players frustration was quite obvious at Kallis in that match.
One of the most self-fish innings i've ever seen.
Seen those exact posts by those exact same posters in a previous thread. Their content is best summed-up by this one here:
Bollocks. IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kevin Pieterson and Shiv Chanderpaul. Both are clearly their respective countries best test batsmen, but protect themselves by batting down the order.
Yeah, it'd be so much better for their teams to have them batting further up the order and being less productive wouldn't it?(!)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Interesting that throughout this thread, players that bat overly aggressive (Afridi, Sehwag) have been accused as selfish, yet players who bat for the most part conservatively (Kallis, Chanderpaul) have also been called slefish.

Funny.

AaronK

State Regular
Afridi
Gavaskar
boycott
Ricky Pointing
Kallis
Sreesanth
shoaib akhter
Symonds
Harbajan singh

i can make an XI here lol

Sir Alex

Banned
I don't think any Indian player would come close to Manoj Prabhakar in terms of selfish performances, save perhaps Gavaskar. I remember him taking more than 150 deliveries to score his 100 in a home ODI vs West Indies. India was set a gettable target of 250odd but thanks to him and Mongia playing out maidens after maidens in the final 10 overs, India finished at 211/5 with him scoring 102(154) and Mongia 5(21) staying unbeaten. It was unreal indeed. Needless to add, he was greeted with a garland of chappals (sandals/shoes) by an angry mob at the Airport afterwards.

Here is an extract of the match report that followed.

At Kanpur, October 30. West Indies won by 46 runs. Toss: India.

West Indies' victory was soured by the controversy surrounding India's sixth-wicket pair, Prabhakar and Mongia. They came together requiring 63 from nine overs, but their stonewalling defence produced only 16. Though Prabhakar completed an unbeaten century, the selectors dropped him and Mongia for the rest of the series, and ICC referee Raman Subba Row fined India two points, suspecting they were anxious for West Indies to join them in the final. His decision was later rescinded by ICC, who said it was not in his jurisdiction.

The West Indians had played with sparkle. After Simmons and Williams opened with 115, Arthurton scored 72 from 62 balls. India were also given a bright start by Tendulkar, while Prabhakar anchored the innings. The loss of Azharuddin, to a brilliant outfield catch by Cummins, was a great setback, however, and the West Indian fielders also scored three direct hits to run out Sidhu, Kambli and Jadeja.

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/66000.html

Last edited: