• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Waugh

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Since statistically he is the best opener for AUS ever.
Not by average he's not - there are at least two blokes I can think of off the top of my head who averaged more than Hayden going in first, and neither of them got picked either.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Not by average he's not - there are at least two blokes I can think of off the top of my head who averaged more than Hayden going in first, and neither of them got picked either.
Who played with longevity Hayden is yea i think. I know Sid Barnes is one averaged about 60, not sure who is the other. But he barely 10 or so tests before he died & plundered some average attacks, so i would have to look past him. If he did that in 60s or 70s maybe i could consider him like how Richard's is seen by SA as an obvious losted great.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Who played with longevity Hayden is yea i think. I know Sid Barnes is one averaged about 60, not sure who is the other. But he barely 10 or so tests before he died & plundered some average attacks, so i would have to look past him. If he did that in 60s or 70s maybe i could consider him like how Richard's is seen by SA as an obvious losted great.
Bob Simpson also averaged 55.52 IIRC as an opener.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
AWTA

My all time WI side has none of the 3 Ws in the side:

Greenidge
Haynes
Headley
V Richards (c)
Lara
Sobers
Dujon (wk)
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Ambrose

12th: Lance Gibbs

That's not to say that Roberts, Walsh, Weekes, Worrell, Walcott, Hall, Bishop etc... were undeserving of being considered among the very top tier of players ever, but that there were players I favoured slightly higher than them.
Really, because I have two W's in.
Greenidge
Headley
Lara
IVA Richards
Weekes
Sobers (c)
Walcott (w)
Marshall
Ambrose
Holding
Garner
Had to put Headley in as opener even though he never opened.
Couldn't decide between Walsh and Garner.Flipped a coin.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure what an All Time West Indian XI has to do with Mark Waugh but nonetheless;

1. Greenidge
2. Hunte
3. Richards
4. Headley
5. Lara
6. Sobers
7. Dujon
8. Marshall
9. Holding
10. Ambrose
11. Gibbs

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Greenidge
Headley
Lara
IVA Richards
Weekes
Sobers (c)
Walcott (w)
Marshall
Ambrose
Holding
Garner
The problem with Walcott as keeper was that he simply wasn't that good as a keeper. Dujon was a class above. Still Walcott is a better bat.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Not sure what an All Time West Indian XI has to do with Mark Waugh but nonetheless;

1. Greenidge
2. Hunte
3. Richards
4. Headley
5. Lara
6. Sobers
7. Dujon
8. Marshall
9. Holding
10. Ambrose
11. Gibbs
lol LT,this thread was/is already threadjacked to hell.
A few pgs back Stephen picked an all time WI XI without any of Teh W's .I just tried to fit em in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Greenidge
Headley
Lara
IVA Richards
Weekes
Sobers (c)
Walcott (w)
Marshall
Ambrose
Holding
Garner
If you're going to insist on leaving-out Conrad Hunte - which I'd never, ever do BTW - then of those you've got in there the most sensible option to open would be Richards, as he did it with some amount of success for a couple of games at the tail-end of the Australian tour in 1975/76, and in fact that presaged his stupidly good 1976 which earned him the "second-best to Bradman" tag.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
If you're going to insist on leaving-out Conrad Hunte - which I'd never, ever do BTW - then of those you've got in there the most sensible option to open would be Richards, as he did it with some amount of success for a couple of games at the tail-end of the Australian tour in 1975/76, and in fact that presaged his stupidly good 1976 which earned him the "second-best to Bradman" tag.
Excellent yarn Dicky but,
nah I'm Happy with that All Time XI.
But feel free to select your own WI XI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no unequivocal team I'd go for but if I had to pick one XI I'd most likely select:
Hunte
Greenidge \ Fredericks (would be quite happy with either)
Headley
Sobers
Lara
Richards
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose
Garner
With Gibbs coming in for either Garner or Ambrose on a deck that turned insanely, but not otherwise.

However, you could put either Weekes or Walcott in there in place of any of the middle-order and it'd not weaken the side exponentially, maybe not at all.