• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Top 5 Matches of All Time

inzi_afridi

Cricket Spectator
My favourite matches from first to fifth

1)Pakistan vs South Africa T20 Semi-Final 09

Pakistan were serious underdogs for this match and no one gave them a chance. They played their best and pulled off a brilliant victory.It also went down to the last over.

2)Pakistan vs Sri Lanka T20 Final 09

This ones very nearly as good as the first one but it wasnt as close. Pakistan had just beaten the favourites and now had to beat the second favourites; Sri Lanka. Pakistan bowled brilliantly and then batted superbly to chase down a competitive total for a world cup final.

3)Bangladesh vs India World Cup 07

Bangladesh werent given a chance against India's star studded batting line up. Bangladesh managed to risrict India and around 250 and managed to chase down the runs easily to knock India out.

4)Pakistan vs India Champions Trophy 04

I went to this match and the atmosphere was electric. The match was neck and throughout, Pakistan eventually edged it out and won a thriller with a few overs to spare.

5) England vs Australia Ashes 05

Australia were all but out of it until Warne took the fight to England and played some shots but when he trod on his stumps the odds tipped back in Englands favour. Eventually Australia needed only three to win Kasper gloved it to the keeper.

Please add your own fav matches with descriptions as well

JBMAC

State Captain
First test 1946 in Brisbane at the gabba. Totally demolished England
Tied test Gabba againt WI 1960/61
Thats two i was at will need to think seriously of another three

Here's the other three......
Aust vs India 1967/68 Gabba Aussies won by 37 runs could ,with some luck ahve gone either way
Aus vs England 1978/79 England won by 7 wickets could have been by memmory Willis' first win as Captain
Aust vs Pak 1981/82 Aust won by 10 wickets Lillee had match figures of a NINE for...Superb bowling

So thats mine fortunate to have been at all five of those tests as Gabba only five minutes down the road from where I grew up

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First test 1946 in Brisbane at the gabba. Totally demolished England

So thats mine fortunate to have been at all five of those tests as Gabba only five minutes down the road from where I grew up
An eye witness indeed! - what was your take on Ikin's catch?

Any answer along the lines of "I can't remember" or "I was momentarily distracted" is not good enough :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My favourite is unquestionably Lord's 2000 - I've said before that I doubt there's been a better Test match in history, even if there may have been a few equally good. Had absolutely everything I think could possibly be wanted: plenty of superlative seam bowling on a bouncy, seaming deck; some meek batting, some lionhearted batting; comebacks and constant momentum swings; that unique Lord's atmosphere; catching which, after the opening morning, was regularly outstanding; my favourite player ever being the man who made much of the difference; with hindsight it turned a tide of 31 years; and to boot it was England's 100th Test at Lord's.

Only caveats were the poor catching on the opening morning and that it required a couple of Umpiring mistakes to make the game quite what it was. Some would also say the fact that only something like 3 overs of spin were sent down all game, as well, but I couldn't care less about that.

I'd have to think a bit harder about the rest but there's a few obvious ones: Edgbaston 2005 being at the front of the queue.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
2001 test Vs Australia for India

99 WC game against Pak - will never forget Wasim calling it a "practice game" and end up humiliated..

96 WC quarter final agaisnt Pak

2007 Ireland Vs Pakistan - David dominating and slaying Goliath

1999 Barbados - Lara's test.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Top 5 test matches:

- Barbados 99
- Old Trafford 97
- Galle 2004 (SRI vs AUS)
- Karachi 2000 (Eng vs PAK)
- IND vs PAK - Chennai 99

Top 5 ODIs:

- AUS v SA 99 WCSF
- PAK v IND Karachi 04
- Eng vs Ind Mumbai 02
- Eng vs Pak - Karachi 00
- Aus vs SA 99 WC super six

JBMAC

State Captain
An eye witness indeed! - what was your take on Ikin's catch?

Any answer along the lines of "I can't remember" or "I was momentarily distracted" is not good enough :)
" I don't recall....:laugh::laugh:...are you referring to his dissmissal in first innings?( I think?):unsure:

bagapath

International Captain
ind vs australia chennai 1986 - second tied test that australia deserved to win 10 out of 10 times
eng vs australia second test ashes 2005 - cliffhanger classic
west indies vs australia 99-00 - lara's 153*, one man army
ind vs australia second test calcutta 00-01 series - laxman 281* and stopping the 16 match winning streak
ind vs pak first test 99-00 chennai - sachin's brave knock and heartbreak

Last edited:

indian_legend

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Tests:

Aus v Ind, Kolkata 2001
Aus v Ind, Adelaide 2003
Aus v WI, Barbados 1999
Ind v Pak, Chennai 1999
Aus v Eng, 2nd test of 2005 ashes

ODIs + T20:

Aus v SA, 434-438 match, Johannesburg 2006
Aus v SA, 2nd SF 1999 WC
Ind v Pak, 2007 T20 WC final
Ind v Pak, Dhaka 1998, Independence cup final
Aus v NZ, 3rd ODI of 2007 Chappel-Hadlee trophy, NZ chasing 350+ despite being 40/4 after 10 overs

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ind-Pak Karachi 06
Ind-Aus Chennai 01
Pak-Aus Karachi 94
Aus-Win Barbados 99
Ind-Pak Chennai 99

Xuhaib

International Coach
2001 test Vs Australia for India

99 WC game against Pak - will never forget Wasim calling it a "practice game" and end up humiliated..

96 WC quarter final agaisnt Pak

2007 Ireland Vs Pakistan - David dominating and slaying Goliath

1999 Barbados - Lara's test.
haha.. remember I was like WC Ind-Pak Super 6 and practice game?

wtf.

JBMAC

State Captain
No big screen replay on ground :laugh::laugh::laugh: did not "see" it...but can tell you this...Bradman was not a "walker"...Had a strong belief in Umpiring at the time and if he had have been given out would have gone so he must have had genuine belief it did not carry. Contemporary media at the time divided