• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist v Dhoni

Whom would you pick in your team?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
What? He scores a decent amount in pretty much every match bar 3; one of them which is ironically a minnow (WIndies), another when the last game of the prelims was basically a scratch match (NZ) and only 1 really relevant bad score against S.Africa in the semis. Scored throughout, regardless of who. To say he was carried to a final is revisionism.
West Indies weren't a minnow and Australia just love losing to New Zealand. Of course he wasn't carried to the final, he was Adam friggin Gilchrist and was Australia's best keeper. Yet he was not consistent. 3 failures and 3 starts against the top teams.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Why would I have been talking about Paul Harris who you hadn't mentioned at all instead of the player from NZ you highlighted.

Wickets are irrelevant as you have already noted he did play 400 ODI's to Harris' 250 :)
The Average and Economy would be the stats way to fight this out and Harris economy rate is far far superior.

Jayasuriya by a fair bit the better batsman
Harris better bowler
Harris better fielder
Both equally awesome in terms of old men running around on the cricket field like young men.
Jaya as the better average. Harris has the better economy. Harris bowled in the middle. Jaya was a death bowler 1995-2000 time. I would put them same with economy. Jayasuriya better bowler.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies weren't a minnow and Australia just love losing to New Zealand. Of course he wasn't carried to the final, he was Adam friggin Gilchrist and was Australia's best keeper. Yet he was not consistent. 3 failures and 3 starts against the top teams.
He had just as many successes against the "top teams" in the same tourney. LOL, unbelievable, the guy averages 38 strikes amazing throughout the tournament, doesn't beef up against any minnow, scores a decent amount throughout every match almost...and practically wins the final by himself yet is not consistent. :laugh: The Windies finished about as low as Ireland. Ireland beat up Pakistan to the final group stage. Ditto Bangladesh for India. :wacko:

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Jaya as the better average. Harris has the better economy. Harris bowled in the middle. Jaya was a death bowler 1995-2000 time. I would put them same with economy. Jayasuriya better bowler.
Na Harris would roll his arm at the end at times too, and at the very least they were equals.

Both very good at home and kind of crap away (averaging 40+)

Jayasuriya home: 119 @ 28.31 economy 4.44
Harris home: 94 @ 29.73 economy 4.07

Really depends on the pitch I guess.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He had just as many successes against the "top teams" in the same tourney. LOL, unbelievable, the guy averages 38 strikes amazing throughout the tournament, doesn't beef up against any minnow, scores a decent amount throughout every match almost...and practically wins the final by himself yet is not consistent. :laugh: The Windies finished about as low as Ireland. Ireland beat up Pakistan to the final group stage. Ditto Bangladesh for India. :wacko:
Hey look you are bringing back the minnows into the argument to boost how Gilly went!
Against the top teams Gilchrist scored bugger all until the final. Irrespective of how well he batted in the final he batted moderately in the lead up to it against the other big teams.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hey look you are bringing back the minnows into the argument to boost how Gilly went!
Against the top teams Gilchrist scored bugger all until the final. Irrespective of how well he batted in the final he batted moderately in the lead up to it against the other big teams.
You don't usually play top teams until the finals in the WC, or have you not watched one before? He scored 42 against S.Africa and 30 against Sri Lanka in the prelims. He then scored 149 in the final. So you have 0 case. Especially when one of the "top teams" you are bringing forth are the West Indies and the other a non-event against New Zealand. :laugh: No one said Gilchrist was superlative throughout, but at the very least he was consistent. Anyway...

Athlai

Not Terrible
You don't usually play top teams until the finals in the WC, or have you not watched one before? He scored 42 against S.Africa and 30 against Sri Lanka in the prelims. He then scored 149 in the final. So you have 0 case. Especially when one of the "top teams" you are bringing forth are the West Indies and the other a non-event against New Zealand. :laugh: No one said Gilchrist was superlative throughout, but at the very least he was consistent. Anyway...
Yeah but you said and I quote:
His runs didn't plop out against weaker teams and fail against the others. He scored runs pretty much throughout regardless of who he was playing...
So, as you can see, he didn't beat up on anybody until the final. He scored consistently throughout.
I was pointing out that he did score more runs against the weaker teams until the final. Before the final against the non-weaker teams he scored 109 @ 18.17. So figuratively they did plop out against the weaker teams. And if you really want to take out his failures against New Zealand and the West Indies (which you really shouldn't) he scored 107 @ 26.75.

He did not score "consistently throughout" "regardless of who he was playing".
He scored "consistently throughout" against "weaker teams".

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gilchrist is one of the greaters players in the history of the game

Dhoni isnt

Simple really, so let's move on

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Is it? Probably has to do with the fact that often than not, when Bevan made a contribution, he was the thread holding the team together. Some of those situations were intense and dire; him remaining not-out in many of those situations would be the only reason I see for it.
Oh, so when Bevan is not out, it was because it was needed. When Dhoni is not out, well, it's just, well because he just did.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Oh, so when Bevan is not out, it was because it was needed. When Dhoni is not out, well, it's just, well because he just did.
Bevan gets a bit of an aura about him because of the times that he got not-out when single handedly saving Australia. In the end though, it was probably less than 10 times that that was the case. He had plenty of not outs like the ones that Dhoni has had in recent times, 35-60 not out at the end of an innings where the team has batted first.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Bevan gets a bit of an aura about him because of the times that he got not-out when single handedly saving Australia. In the end though, it was probably less than 10 times that that was the case. He had plenty of not outs like the ones that Dhoni has had in recent times, 35-60 not out at the end of an innings where the team has batted first.
Tbf to Dhoni, he is one of the most extraordinarily successful batsman, for his team, in modern memory.

Attachments

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I generally agree with this. But i'd say Imran, Kapil, Richards, Garner along with Dean Jones, Hadlee, Haynes, Gooch. Where few of the 70s & 80s ODI players who in that era of ODI cricket clearly where of the 90s & 2000s level - thus they really should be considered when picking a AT ODI XI.
The ODI game they played was so very different to the one those of the 1990s and 2000s played that it really is pretty pointless trying to combine the two. I'm happy to leave players who excelled at one game and players who excelled at another in different categories, and pick one team for the 1970s and 1980s and another for the 1990s and 2000s.
I did say very good to world class.

Harvey & Watson between 01-05 certainly did make the composition of the AUS ODI attack in the period much very good.

Mahmood & Razzaq in that 99 WC PAK team where in the best bowling forms of their lives probably thus certainly making the WC attack one of the best ever.

Rana in the period mentioned was very good. That 05/06 PAK attack was vey good. If it wasn't for injuries & the Oval 06 scandal if that attack had gone to the 07 WC. It would have been the best attack on paper in the 07 WC.

A Morkel, Hopes & Siddle (although he certainly has shown all the early skills to have very solid ODI career) may not be great ODI bowlers. But overall they make the composition of the current SA & AUS ODI attacks very good & extremely well balanced.
I don't consider any of the aforementioned particularly good at all. Yes Rana may have had a brief period of getting heaps of wickets in spite of mostly being smashed but that was never going to last.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Tbf to Dhoni, he is one of the most extraordinarily successful batsman, for his team, in modern memory.
I'm not denying that. I'm saying that Bevan, with a couple of the best innings in ODI history in that situation, can get looked back at with rose-tints at times, when there isn't that much separating him and Dhoni at this time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW I'd probably have Chris Harris as a better ODI bowler than Jayasuriya, though not by all that much given Jayasuriya's death bowling. But I'm not sure there's any need to compare them - the previous bowlers Jayasuriya was being compared to were spinners (van der Merwe, Hauritz, etc.), Harris was a seamer. A very slow on yes, but a seamer.

Athlai

Not Terrible
BTW I'd probably have Chris Harris as a better ODI bowler than Jayasuriya, though not by all that much given Jayasuriya's death bowling. But I'm not sure there's any need to compare them - the previous bowlers Jayasuriya was being compared to were spinners (van der Merwe, Hauritz, etc.), Harris was a seamer. A very slow on yes, but a seamer.
It was comparison as a 5th bowling option.

Though the current fullstrength NZ team could boast, Bond, Tuffey, Mills, Vettori and Oram as the 5th option.