• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Shepherd passes away

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From cancer, says Cricinfo

A real shock since he retired not too long ago. Always loved how he still stood one one leg when a Nelson rolled around. RIP.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very sad news, and definitely a shock - I wasn't aware he was ill.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Absolute legend of the umpiring world. Would love it if everyone referred to it as a shep when a player was on 111, 222, obviously meaning good luck.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Very sad news.

Combined solid umpiring skill with the sort of character that makes the game interesting. A rare breed, and a sad loss.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A suggestion by Jimmers Thomas apropos of David Shepherd's death: "At 1:11pm tomorrow, we should all stand on one leg as a mark of respect to the great man." Seems a sensible and immensely fun idea. Status | Facebook

Via cricinfo via facebook.

I will definitely.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very sad news, and definitely a shock - I wasn't aware he was ill.
Ditto for me.

RIP Shep, one of the greatest Umpires ever and just like his contemporary Dickie Bird also one of the great characters.

fredfertang

My old man bowled to Shep once in a benefit match in the early 60's - said it was the only time in his life he decided not to go for a catch off his own bowling

The county game could use a few more characters like him

RIP

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Gower alluded to Shep's illness during the Ashes if memory serves. Warney made reference to him hopping on Nelson and its multiples and Gower said he was ill currently. I didn't realise quite how ill he must've been tho. :(

RIP. A genuinely lovely man of cricket and one I can't imagine anyone ever saying a bad word about. Hope he's hopping in heaven.

HeathDavisSpeed

A suggestion by Jimmers Thomas apropos of David Shepherd's death: "At 1:11pm tomorrow, we should all stand on one leg as a mark of respect to the great man." Seems a sensible and immensely fun idea. Status | Facebook

Via cricinfo via facebook.

I will definitely.
Indeed. I said to the missus this morning that it would have been apt if he'd lasted to the ripe old age of 111 and ended up dying due to falling over whilst trying to stand on one leg. This just seems all too sudden.

99*

International Debutant
RIP.

As everyone has said one of the great characters of cricket, and an umpire of the highest order.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Used to love how much he enjoyed giving someone out, or so it appeared. Would almost point at him, and say, "You're out", half expecting him to fix "laddy" on the end of it.

Very say, RIP.

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
He was my favorite..... he used to have a spirited face and had good rapport with almost all the players ...... "A thousand flowers for him"

RIP