• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Shepherd passes away

funnygirl

State Regular
Very sad.He was such a great umpire and a very lovable human being.No matter in what match,whoever the umpire is,I always remember David when the score is 111/1.

May prayers are with his family and may his soul rest in peace.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Had the pleasure of watching him in action once in Chennai.. Sehwag was always around him and the two seemed to have loads of fun chatting and possibly ragging each other... He was always fun and enthusiastic and approached the game with such wonderful positivity which was often contagious. Remember Lara going all the way and giving him a wonderful farewell in his last test, hoping during Nelson and also during the presentation as his way of paying tribute, from one great to another...

I guess the umpiring standards in Heaven needed improving.. Plus, someone needed to take that tradition of hopping when the score is Nelson over there... RIP.. God Bless him and his family.. :(

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I met him a couple of times when he was playing for Gloucestershire (not intimately, just in a group of autograph hunters). Very friendly obliging chap in those days.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Gower alluded to Shep's illness during the Ashes if memory serves. Warney made reference to him hopping on Nelson and its multiples and Gower said he was ill currently. I didn't realise quite how ill he must've been tho. :(

RIP. A genuinely lovely man of cricket and one I can't imagine anyone ever saying a bad word about. Hope he's hopping in heaven.
I remember lip-reading Ian Healy calling him something very very uncomplimentary during the 92 world cup... One of many reasons for my warm glowing regard for Healy

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
One tribute to him mentioned that he would tape a matchstick to his hand on a black friday, so that he was touching wood all day.