• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your state/provinces all time greatest team?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What is the best team you can assemble from your state/province.

I'll start with mine - QLD:

Wessels
Hayden
Bill Brown
Chappel G
Border (c)
Symonds
Healy (wk)*
Lindwall
McDermott
Thompson
Kasprowicz**

*QLD certainly has the strongest keeping reserves in Don Tallon and Wally Grout, and both could make exceptional cases for selection, but Healy was probably a slightly better bat and is an all time great keeper in his own right

**QLD has Symonds for some spin if necessary, but on a turner Kasper should make way for Hohns.

The only real weaknesses in this lineup are QLDs 4th bowler and a weak tail.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wellington

CS Dempster
R Redmond
A Jones
S Fleming *
M Crowe
J Coney
B Taylor
J Reid
K James(+)
G Larsen
J Cowie

Howsie

International Captain
Gavin Larsen? Surely there's someone better, O'Brien perhaps. (This coming from someone who knows very little about Larsen except for the fact he was medium pace and looking at his stats though).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What is the best team you can assemble from your state/province.

I'll start with mine - QLD:

Wessels
Hayden
Bill Brown
Chappel G
Border (c)
Symonds
Healy (wk)*
Lindwall
McDermott
Thompson
Kasprowicz**

*QLD certainly has the strongest keeping reserves in Don Tallon and Wally Grout, and both could make exceptional cases for selection, but Healy was probably a slightly better bat and is an all time great keeper in his own right

**QLD has Symonds for some spin if necessary, but on a turner Kasper should make way for Hohns.

The only real weaknesses in this lineup are QLDs 4th bowler and a weak tail.
Disagree with your QSL side slightly. I wont consider Wessels since i'd want to keep to Australian players & the fact that he would be in contention for the South African All-time XI. While from research i think Lindwall would surely be in contention for NSW since he spent most of his career their intially.

So i'd go:

Bill Brown
Matthew Hayden
Stuart Law
Greg Chappell
Allan Border (c)
Colin McCool
Ron Archer/Ken McKay
Ian Healy
Kasper
McDermott
Thommo

Sam Trimble the unluckies to miss out..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
LANCASHIRE: (All English)

Archie McLaren (c)
Michael Atherton
Cyril Washbrook
Ernest Tyldesley
Eddie Paynter
Andrew Flintoff
Jack Sharp
Johnny Briggs
George Duckworth+
Brian Statham
Syd Barnes

12th Man: Roy Tattersall/Ken Higgs

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Gavin Larsen? Surely there's someone better, O'Brien perhaps. (This coming from someone who knows very little about Larsen except for the fact he was medium pace and looking at his stats though).
Collinge would be the one to go but Larsen was one of the most miserly players in history and is pretty much my psudeo-spinner for the team. Great variations and impossible to hit, Larsen was a gun and playing at the Basin I doubt any other Kiwi club team could beat us.

The full 15 man squad would include:

the XI

Collinge
Chatfield
Twose
A Spinner and gun fielder..... why not Jeets :ph34r:

Last edited:

Camo999

State 12th Man
Off the top of my head for Victoria, what about:

Lawry
Woodfull (c)
Ponsford
Jones
Harvey
Miller
Reiffel
Warne
Hughes
Blackham (wk)
Ironmonger

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Off the top of my head for Victoria, what about:

Lawry
Woodfull (c)
Ponsford
Jones
Harvey
Miller
Reiffel
Warne
Hughes
Blackham (wk)
Ironmonger
Bill Lawry
Bill Ponsford
Lindsay Hassett
Neil Harvey
Jack Ryder (c)
Keith Miller
Warwick Armstrong
Shane Warne
Jack Blackham +
Merv Hughers
Max Walker

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wellington

CS Dempster
R Redmond
A Jones
S Fleming *
M Crowe
J Coney
B Taylor
J Reid
K James(+)
G Larsen
J Cowie
Ack just realised I left Donnelly out, Jones or Fleming.......... Jones gets the boot.

Dempster
Redmond
Fleming
Crowe
Donelly
Coney
Reid *
Taylor
James (+)
Larsen
Cowie

Feels criminal to have Reid so low but this side has some immensely long batting.

Jones
Collinge
Chatfield
Twose

Waiting in the wings as well. Pretty much an all-time NZ team besides the omissions of Turner, Hadlee and Bond.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Northern Districts

1 John Wright
2 Bert Sutcliffe
3 Geoff Howarth
4 Scott Styris
5 Mark Bailey
6 Chris Cairns
7 Daniel Vettori
8 Bryan Young
9 Lance Cairns
10 Cliff Dickeson
11 Darryl Tuffey

1) Notable exclusion: Jon Parker. I don't like him attended a coaching clinic with him once

2) 12th man Tom Puna played on my cricket team after he retired.

3) Chris Cairns will open the bowling.

4) Mark Bailey was my high school captain and ND stalwart.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Ack just realised I left Donnelly out, Jones or Fleming.......... Jones gets the boot.

Dempster
Redmond
Fleming
Crowe
Donelly
Coney
Reid *
Taylor
James (+)
Larsen
Cowie
Crowe played for a number of teams. I will look up his record to see who he played with the most.

Auckland (Main FC: 1979/80-1982/83); Central Districts (Main FC: 1983/84-1989/90); Somerset (Main FC: 1984-1988); Wellington (Main FC: 1990/91-1994/95);

I think Central Districts has the best claim to him. And this is the association I think of the most when I think of him.

Fleming also played a little bit more for Canterbury.

Perhaps we can make a rule that some players can appear in the all time XIs for multiple provinces.

Last edited:

stephen

Disagree with your QSL side slightly. I wont consider Wessels since i'd want to keep to Australian players & the fact that he would be in contention for the South African All-time XI. While from research i think Lindwall would surely be in contention for NSW since he spent most of his career their intially.

So i'd go:

Bill Brown
Matthew Hayden
Stuart Law
Greg Chappell
Allan Border (c)
Colin McCool
Ron Archer/Ken McKay
Ian Healy
Kasper
McDermott
Thommo

Sam Trimble the unluckies to miss out..
Never heard of Colin McCool before but he certainly looks very accomplished and would make a fine spin choice ahead of Hohns and Symonds. I would play Love ahead of Law if Wessels wasn't selected (though Wessels played for QLD for 7 years, which is hardly insignificant). Also Ron Archer would be a reasonable replacement for Lindwall (I wasn't sure how long Lindwall played for either state).

I still think that Bichel would be a very fine 12th man for this QLD side :)

NSW XI:

Trumper
Simpson
Bradman
Morris
Waugh S
Waugh M
Haddin
Lindwall
Davidson
O'Reilly
McGrath

World class side that. Close to Australia's best possible all time bowling attack too.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
10 Cliff Dickeson
A quick story - Cliff Dickeson turned up at my high school practice one day to share some insights. I bowled a delivery and after about a second well before it bounced and well before it had reached the top of its arc and had begun its descent he said 'great ball' - and then it bounced and clean bowled the guy.
How did he know it was going to be a good ball.

stephen

Tassie:

Boonie
Di Venuto
Ponting (c)
Badcock
Cox
Woolley (wk)
Young
Hills
Simmons
Eady
Hilfenhaus

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I would play Love ahead of Law if Wessels wasn't selected (though Wessels played for QLD for 7 years, which is hardly insignificant).

Law was a fairly superior to Love based on what i saw of them TBF. I saw alot of Law given he played for Lancashire and all.

If Wessels didn't go back & play for the saffies i'd consider him. But i consider him a foreigner just like how Sobers would be in a South Australian side.

NSW XI:

Trumper
Simpson
Bradman
Morris
Waugh S
Waugh M
Haddin
Lindwall
Davidson
O'Reilly
McGrath

World class side that. Close to Australia's best possible all time bowling attack too.
Indeed.

Although i guess Bill Murdoch could be considered as keeper over Haddin ATM, but i guess Haddin by the end of his career, will be a dead lock in a NSW side.

Also maybe you could pick Charles McCartney instead of of one of Morris or M Waugh. Top batsman, while giving a solid option as a left-arm spinner.

stephen

WA:

Marsh
Rogers
Langer (c)
Hussey M
Moody
Martyn
Gilchrist (wk)
McKenzie
Lillee
Paulsen
Alderman

Edit: Swapped Brayshaw for McKenzie

Last edited:

stephen

Indeed.

Although i guess Bill Murdoch could be considered as keeper over Haddin ATM, but i guess Haddin by the end of his career, will be a dead lock in a NSW side.

Also maybe you could pick Charles McCartney instead of of one of Morris or M Waugh. Top batsman, while giving a solid option as a left-arm spinner.
M Waugh is the weakest link in the team and was picked only for his heroics against the West Indies in the 95 tour. McCartney could very well make a better choice.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Crowe played for a number of teams. I will look up his record to see who he played with the most.

Auckland (Main FC: 1979/80-1982/83); Central Districts (Main FC: 1983/84-1989/90); Somerset (Main FC: 1984-1988); Wellington (Main FC: 1990/91-1994/95);

I think Central Districts has the best claim to him. And this is the association I think of the most when I think of him.

Fleming also played a little bit more for Canterbury.

Perhaps we can make a rule that some players can appear in the all time XIs for multiple provinces.
We had him last tbh and yeah in terms of provinces players can show up for whoever they played for at anytime.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
WA:

Marsh
Rogers
Langer (c)
Hussey M
Moody
Martyn
Gilchrist (wk)
Brayshaw
Lillee
Paulsen
Alderman
WA can definately improve my friend:

Langer (c)
G Marsh
Wood
Hughes
Martyn
M Hussey
Gilchrist
Yardley/Alderman/Massie (depending on if the match is played at the WACA or not)
McKenzie
Lillee
Reid

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
To round up the AUS state sides. SOUTH AUSTRALIA:

Matthew Elliot
Joe Darling/Les Favell
Clem Hill
Ian Chappell (c)
David Hookes/Greg Blewett
Darren Lehmann
Wayne Phillips +
Jason Gillespie
Clarrie Grimmett
Ashley Mallett
Rodney Hogg/Damien Fleming/Neil Hawke/George Giffen (tough one to split here)