• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your state/provinces all time greatest team?

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
AT Wellington XI

Stewie Dempster
Bruce Edgar
Stephen Fleming (*)
Martin Crowe
Martin Donnelly
John Reid
Bruce Taylor
Ken James (+)
Clarrie Grimmett
Richard Collinge
Ewen Chatfield

Flem274*

123/5
We all make mistakes.

Hurry up and make a CD XI so I can tell you how much the Wellington XI is better than it.

Canterbury may have a go at being Wellington's equal though.
The canterbury one is going to be nasty. Bond and Hadlee opening the bowling for a start followed by Cairns.

Flem274*

123/5
No room for Bulfin, Hamilton or Stu Duff? What an utter joke.
As I said, it was a tentative line up.

Athlai, stop being a hypocrite. :p

Jack Cowie never played for Wellington either, so if I'm not allowed Ryder, then you can press backspace on half your team. :p

Also noticed I wrote down Dempster instead of Donnelly. Bugger. Going to come back and edit that side.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
No room for Bulfin, Hamilton or Stu Duff? What an utter joke.
Always disappointing to see Bulfins name. I thought it a major compliment when I was 18 and I was classed as the fastest pro in my league along with Bulfin and 'The Dentist" Maynard. Turns out it wasnt much of a complimrnt at all :@

Flem274*

123/5
Dempster, Crowe, Ryder and Collinge all being blatant steals. Pretty weak attack yet a rather strong domestic batting lineup, sums up CD really.
Who picked Larsen? :p

Bartlett will tear that Wellington/CD/Canterbury/Auckland batting order of yours to pieces. And thats not counting the other bowlers. :p

Athlai

Not Terrible
Who picked Larsen? :p

Bartlett will tear that Wellington/CD/Canterbury/Auckland batting order of yours to pieces. And thats not counting the other bowlers. :p
Dropping him for the guy who ended up leading your attack, says a lot.:ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5

Flem274*

123/5
Roger Blunt
Mark Richardson
Glen Turner
Bert Sutcliffe
Ken Rutherford
Brendon McCullum (batsman only)
Warren Lees
Neil Mallender
Lance Cairns
Frank Cameron
Stephen Boock

Squad members:
Jack Alabaster
Shayne O'Connor
Brian McKechnie (man for a crazy occasion)
Thats one meaty batting line up. How come Turner bats three and Blunt opens out of interest?

Flem274*

123/5
Haha, I was kidding. Lance Hamilton. Pedestrian at best.
Surprisingly good record. Thought he was mediocre at FC level then saw his record. Was like "Oh no, he might actualy be worth picking in the squad, CD aren't that bad at bowling are we?"

I'd add Bulfin in to add another personality clash to Crowe and Sinclair though.:ph34r:

That allrounder ain't too bad. Oram would still cruise in ahead though.

Need to find some sort of list that has all the players sorted by team. Besides the current lot and old NZ greats that I can check to see who they've played for if we had to pick a squado f 20 I'd be screwed. Probably have Diamanti or Sulzberger in there. :p

I should try and make a Taranaki one. Lets see, Donelly, Pinga, How, Ebrahim, Sulzberger, some really old 30s fast bowler that isn't even listed on cricinfo because I don't even think CD was formed then...uh oh:p

Who are the other CD fans around here? Does Sportychic know her history unlike me?

Remember in a book Ian Smith wrote he talked in a chapter about CD players that never went on to test level despite being awesome. I'm going to find it when I get home for the holidays.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
My half assed go at Cants, wonderful side really
1) John Wright
2) Graham Dowling
3) Stephen Fleming
4) Bev Congdon (or Astle)
5) Donelly (or Astle)
6) Bruce Taylor (or McMillan)
7) Chris Cairns
8) Ken Wadsworth (+)
9) Sir Richard Hadlee
10) Shane Bond
11) Dick Motz

Could also throw in Tom Burtt or Stephen Boock for some spin but the pace attack is so good that I'd rather not tbh. Could probably get rid of a batsman considering Paddles is at 9 and chuck Burtt in there instead.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
My half assed go at Cants, wonderful side really
1) John Wright
2) Graham Dowling
3) Stephen Fleming
4) Bev Congdon (or Astle)
5) Donelly (or Astle)
6) Bruce Taylor (or McMillan)
7) Chris Cairns
8) Ken Wadsworth (+)
9) Sir Richard Hadlee
10) Shane Bond
11) Dick Motz
Todd Astle obviously.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Here is a quick attempt at Auckland. I don't fancy their chances against the other teams.

1) Matt Horne
2) Lou Vincent
3) Richard Jones
4) John F Reid
5) Scott Styris
6) Dipak Patel
7) Ian Smith
8) John Bracewell
9) Martin Snedden
10) Chris Martin
11) Danny Morrison

Notable exceptions
Willie Watson
Jeff Crowe

Last edited:

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
For the Auckland Team I'd probably bring in Jim Laker and another batsman for the two spinners mentioned amd for the Cantabs I'd be tempted to bring in Michael Holding for Motz

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
My dads Bajan and my moms from the USVI. (I grew up in the USVI):

C Hunte
G Greenidge
E Weekes
C Walcott+
F Worrell*
G Sobers
S Nurse
M Marshall
W Hall