Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your state/provinces all time greatest team?

Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    What is the best team you can assemble from your state/province.

I'll start with mine - QLD:

Wessels
    Hayden
    Bill Brown
    Chappel G
    Border (c)
    Symonds
    Healy (wk)*
    Lindwall
    McDermott
    Thompson
    Kasprowicz**

*QLD certainly has the strongest keeping reserves in Don Tallon and Wally Grout, and both could make exceptional cases for selection, but Healy was probably a slightly better bat and is an all time great keeper in his own right

**QLD has Symonds for some spin if necessary, but on a turner Kasper should make way for Hohns.

The only real weaknesses in this lineup are QLDs 4th bowler and a weak tail.
    Why not Tom Veivers for spin.Wouls also sub Tallon for Healy far better stumper

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Disagree with your QSL side slightly. I wont consider Wessels since i'd want to keep to Australian players & the fact that he would be in contention for the South African All-time XI. While from research i think Lindwall would surely be in contention for NSW since he spent most of his career their intially.

So i'd go:

Bill Brown
    Matthew Hayden
    Stuart Law
    Greg Chappell
    Allan Border (c)
    Colin McCool
    Ron Archer/Ken McKay
    Ian Healy
    Kasper
    McDermott
    Thommo

Sam Trimble the unluckies to miss out..
    Ken Mackay over Ron Archer.Law out , Chappell at first drop then Peter Burge.Veivers spin option, Tallon/Grout as keeper.Far superior to Healy

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Never heard of Colin McCool before but he certainly looks very accomplished and would make a fine spin choice ahead of Hohns and Symonds. I would play Love ahead of Law if Wessels wasn't selected (though Wessels played for QLD for 7 years, which is hardly insignificant). Also Ron Archer would be a reasonable replacement for Lindwall (I wasn't sure how long Lindwall played for either state).

I still think that Bichel would be a very fine 12th man for this QLD side

NSW XI:

Trumper
    Simpson
    Bradman
    Morris
    Waugh S
    Waugh M
    Haddin
    Lindwall
    Davidson
    O'Reilly
    McGrath

World class side that. Close to Australia's best possible all time bowling attack too.
    So Bradman as a new south welshman. Why not a Soth Australian.Lindwall considered himself a Queenslander even though he started his career there and also played Rugby League for St. GeorgeTaber would be a better stumper than Haddin in standard forms fo the game
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Players

The following players should be considered when you are selecting your respective State sides in Australia.

Richie Benaud , Phillip Carlson, Peter Burge, Wally Grout, Don Tallon, Ian Redpath, Paul Sheahan, Bruce Yardley,Peter taylor , Bob Holland,David Hookes, Dirk Wellham,Tim May, Bob Massie,Sam Trimble, to name just afew that came to mind missing from some lists.Trimble the only one not to tour with an Australain "Firsts" But did tour NZ with a second string eleven

Bset HOMEGROWN QLD Side

1.Sam Trimble
    2.Bill Brown
    3.Stuart Law
    4.Ken Mackay
    5.Peter Burge
    6.Greg Richie
    7.Wally Grout[keeper]
    8.Tom Veivers
    9.Carl Rackeman
    10.Craig McDermott
    11.Geoff Dymock
    12.Phillip Carlson.[12th man]
    I went for the "best" homegrown side.All Qlders....No Botham Surti,Richards,Chappell,Border or Thompson.All these players played Tests.Sam Trimble even was Captain of a Second eleven that toured NZ.It was adifficult side to select
    .Even though most players had test caps,Qld never won "the Sheffield Shield" but their players performed magically at times in some superhuman feats of our game.I selected Grout over Healy because he[grout] was A Tallon Protege
    and did more "first" in the game. eg 6 dissmissals in a match

Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    1.Sam Trimble
    2.Bill Brown
    3.Stuart Law
    4.Ken Mackay
    5.Peter Burge
    6.Greg Richie
    7.Wally Grout[keeper]
    8.Tom Veivers
    9.Carl Rackeman
    10.Craig McDermott
    11.Geoff Dymock
    I went for the "best" homegrown side.All Qlders....No Botham Surti,Richards,Chappell,Border or Thompson.All these players played Tests.Sam Trimble even was Captain of a Second eleven that toured NZ.It was adifficult side to select
    .Even though most players had test caps,Qld never won "the Sheffield Shield" but their players performed magically at times in some superhuman feats of our game.I selected Grout over Healy because he[grout] was A Tallon Protege
    and did more "first" in the game. eg 6 dissmissals in a match
    A bit of a long tail there Macca, perhaps Archer or Oxenham to strengthen the batting while not losing too much from the bowling? Sam Trimble was definitely one of the best players never to play a Test match (though he was 12th man once wasn't he?), as an opening batsman in that era it was a near impossible task to break the Simpson/Lawry partnership.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    A bit of a long tail there Macca, perhaps Archer or Oxenham to strengthen the batting while not losing too much from the bowling? Sam Trimble was definitely one of the best players never to play a Test match (though he was 12th man once wasn't he?), as an opening batsman in that era it was a near impossible task to break the Simpson/Lawry partnership.
    I think your referring to Tom Veivers...picked this up on cricinfo ...too tired to remeber anything at this stage...he was no mug with awillow in his ahnd...

Of Scottish descent, Tom Vievers, who emerged from Queensland country cricket, was something of an Australian rarity when picked against South Africa in 1963-64. A conventional offspinner, he was a type of bowler not seen in the Baggy Green for some time. And he could bat as well, as he showed in his third Test at Sydney when he held out to defy South Africa in the final match of the series. In England in 1964 his batting fared better than his bowling. He top-scored with 54 at Lord's as Australia were skittled for 176, and in the final Test at The Oval hit an unbeaten 67. He added another two half-centuries in the subsequent series against India, and made 88, his Test-best, against Pakistan at Melbourne in 1964-65. But his bowling, while being accurate and controlled, lacked a cutting edge as his Test average of over 40 showed.
    ...source Cricinfo

I think your referring to Tom Veivers...picked this up on cricinfo ...too tired to remeber anything at this stage...he was no mug with awillow in his ahnd...

Of Scottish descent, Tom Vievers, who emerged from Queensland country cricket, was something of an Australian rarity when picked against South Africa in 1963-64. A conventional offspinner, he was a type of bowler not seen in the Baggy Green for some time. And he could bat as well, as he showed in his third Test at Sydney when he held out to defy South Africa in the final match of the series. In England in 1964 his batting fared better than his bowling. He top-scored with 54 at Lord's as Australia were skittled for 176, and in the final Test at The Oval hit an unbeaten 67. He added another two half-centuries in the subsequent series against India, and made 88, his Test-best, against Pakistan at Melbourne in 1964-65. But his bowling, while being accurate and controlled, lacked a cutting edge as his Test average of over 40 showed.
    ...source Cricinfo
    Yeah I mate I was thinking that Grout and Veivers were each batting a spot too high for their talent with the willow. To be fair though, having looked now at Tom's career record he was a better batsman than I thought he was, but conversely not as good a bowler!

[B]1.Sam Trimble
    2.Bill Brown
    3.Stuart Law
    4.Ken Mackay
    5.Peter Burge
    6.Greg Richie
    7.Wally Grout[keeper]
    8.Tom Veivers
    9.Carl Rackeman
    10.Craig McDermott
    11.Geoff Dymock
    As The Sean said the tail is a bit too long for me. Grout although he probably was a better keeper than Healy, Healy is the better bat & surely would give QLD a better place. Grout never batted that high in tests even.

Soo too McKay never batted that high in tests.

Colin McCool also would seem a better pick than Veivers also based on what i've read. But you saw them haa

Plus i dunno i never saw Trimble bat although i have read some great things about him. But i struggle to see how you could pick him over Hayden regardless.

I went for the "best" homegrown side.All Qlders....No Botham Surti,Richards,Chappell,Border or Thompson.All these players played Tests.
    I agree with not considering foreigners like Botham, Richards, Surti etc. But the rest are Australian, even though technically they where not born in the QLD state. A man like Border basically played his entire FC career at QLD (1980 - 95/96) so he really is QLD.

The thing when it comes to picking these FC teams you would hardly ever find a player that 100% homegrown in any cricket nation. So the best thing you can do is pick them for the FC team which they performed best in TBF.

So Bradman as a new south welshman. Why not a Soth Australian.Lindwall considered himself a Queenslander even though he started his career there and also played Rugby League for St. GeorgeTaber would be a better stumper than Haddin in standard forms fo the game
    Well the NSW hierarchy last year picked Bradman in their NSW Hall of Fame XI.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Jamaica:

Chris Gayle
    Easton McMorris
    George Headley*
    Maurice Foster
    Lawrence Rowe
    Jimmy Adams
    Jeff Dujon+
    Michael Holding
    Courtney Walsh
    Roy Gilchrist
    Alf Valentine
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64 View Post
    Jamaica:

Chris Gayle
    Easton McMorris
    George Headley*
    Maurice Foster
    Lawrence Rowe
    Jimmy Adams
    Jeff Dujon+
    Michael Holding
    Courtney Walsh
    Roy Gilchrist
    Alf Valentine
    You could consider John Holt/Allan Rae & Collie Smith instead of McMorris & Adams.
    Last edited by aussie; 25-10-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Trindad & Tobago (My West Indian home):

Jeff Stollmeyer
    Joey Carew
    Larry Gomes
    Brian Lara
    Charlie Davis
    Dwayne Bravo
    Bernard Julien
    Deryck Murray (c)+
    Ian Bishop
    Tony Gray
    Sonny Ramadhin

12th Man: Gus Logie/Gerry Gomez

Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64 View Post
    Jamaica:

Chris Gayle
    Easton McMorris
    George Headley*
    Maurice Foster
    Lawrence Rowe
    Jimmy Adams
    Jeff Dujon+
    Michael Holding
    Courtney Walsh
    Roy Gilchrist
    Alf Valentine
    Sir Frank? I know he was Barbadian born and bred but he played the majority of his FC career for Jamaica. I'd have Alan Rae in that side too ahead of McMorris, though of course it's all personal choice.

Roger Blunt
    Mark Richardson
    Glen Turner
    Bert Sutcliffe
    Ken Rutherford
    Brendon McCullum (batsman only)
    Warren Lees
    Neil Mallender
    Lance Cairns
    Frank Cameron
    Stephen Boock

Squad members:
    Jack Alabaster
    Shayne O'Connor
    Brian McKechnie (man for a crazy occasion)

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Roger Blunt
    Mark Richardson
    Glen Turner
    Bert Sutcliffe
    Ken Rutherford
    Brendon McCullum (batsman only)
    Warren Lees
    Neil Mallender
    Lance Cairns
    Frank Cameron
    Stephen Boock

Squad members:
    Jack Alabaster
    Shayne O'Connor
    Brian McKechnie (man for a crazy occasion)
    There are no rules so pick who you like but Mallendar was an overseas player. If I had've considered overseas players I would have included Graham Hick in my ND squad.
    That being said Mallendar was virtually a local given how many seasons he played for Otago.

Stephen Boock was a very un-menacing spinner at test level. Good at FC level.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    There are no rules so pick who you like but Mallendar was an overseas player.
    a) there are no rules hence why I picked him.
    b) He was an overseas player? No ****, sherlock. He played pretty much 10 seasons, so that's good enough for me.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information