• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your state/provinces all time greatest team?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SA:

Blewett
Richardson AJ
Bradman
Hill C
Lehmann
Hookes
Langley
Gillespie
Grimmett
Mallett
Hogg R

stephen

To round up the AUS state sides. SOUTH AUSTRALIA:

Matthew Elliot
Joe Darling/Les Favell
Clem Hill
Ian Chappell (c)
David Hookes/Greg Blewett
Darren Lehmann
Wayne Phillips +
Jason Gillespie
Clarrie Grimmett
Ashley Mallett
Rodney Hogg/Damien Fleming/Neil Hawke/George Giffen (tough one to split here)
Wow, very different batting lineup from my SA side, and a different keeper to boot. Bowling lineup is exactly the same though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, very different batting lineup from my SA side, and a different keeper to boot. Bowling lineup is exactly the same though.
Ha ye. Bradman is tricky one though given he was born & played very well for SA, but i guess we probably have to pick for NSW.

stephen

WA can definately improve my friend:

Langer (c)
G Marsh
Wood
Hughes
Martyn
M Hussey
Gilchrist
Yardley/Alderman/Massie (depending on if the match is played at the WACA or not)
McKenzie
Lillee
Reid
Wood and Hughes had slightly more distinguished international careers than Moody and Rogers, but I would say that is more likely because of the time in which they played. Paulsen was in the side as the token spinner and I'm a huge fan of Reid, but Aldermann was better over a longer period. I have ammended my team to include McKenzie because I'd forgotten about him.

Also, Hussey really should be at 4 IMO. Actually it's interesting that my team had no less than 4 openers in it (Rogers, Marsh, Langer and Hussey).

stephen

Ha ye. Bradman is tricky one though given he was born & played very well for SA, but i guess we probably have to pick for NSW.
I would say that Bradman could be picked for both sides really. SA's real difficult choice is who to pick as opener. There's quite a number of good but not great openers that they've had over the years, and separating them is quite difficult.

I think Hookes and Lehmann both deserve a spot and Clem Hill is a must pick for this side. With Bradman included that leaves a number of players jostling for a couple of opening slots.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Wood and Hughes had slightly more distinguished international careers than Moody and Rogers, but I would say that is more likely because of the time in which they played. Paulsen was in the side as the token spinner and I'm a huge fan of Reid, but Aldermann was better over a longer period. I have ammended my team to include McKenzie because I'd forgotten about him.

Also, Hussey really should be at 4 IMO. Actually it's interesting that my team had no less than 4 openers in it (Rogers, Marsh, Langer and Hussey).
Yardley would be far better option, very solid offspinner in the tests he played. Paulsen although probably solid domestically, never played a test.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll start with mine - QLD:

Wessels
Hayden
Bill Brown
Chappel G
Border (c)
Symonds
Healy (wk)*
Lindwall
McDermott
Thompson
Kasprowicz**
Bill Brown
Matthew Hayden
Stuart Law
Greg Chappell
Allan Border (c)
Colin McCool
Ron Archer/Ken McKay
Ian Healy
Kasper
McDermott
Thommo

Sam Trimble the unluckies to miss out..
Ron Oxenham could make a case for inclusion too as arguably the finest allrounder produced by QLD, although he was more a force at FC than Test level.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
NSW XI:

Trumper
Simpson
Bradman
Morris
Waugh S
Waugh M
Haddin
Lindwall
Davidson
O'Reilly
McGrath

World class side that. Close to Australia's best possible all time bowling attack too.
Great side - in that team I reckon you'd swap Trumper and Morris in the batting order. Macartney, McCabe, Noble, Benaud and Turner would all have strong claims to be included too.

Debris

International 12th Man
Yeah, can you pick someone who has turned out for your side at all? Imran Khan would make the NSW side I would think ;)

stephen

There are no rules as this isn't a contest.

As a guideline I would say that you should probably only pick players that would primarily identify with the state/province. So Bradman would be either SA or NSW as he spent a roughly equal amount of time with each.

JBMAC

State Captain
What is the best team you can assemble from your state/province.

I'll start with mine - QLD:

Wessels
Hayden
Bill Brown
Chappel G
Border (c)
Symonds
Healy (wk)*
Lindwall
McDermott
Thompson
Kasprowicz**

*QLD certainly has the strongest keeping reserves in Don Tallon and Wally Grout, and both could make exceptional cases for selection, but Healy was probably a slightly better bat and is an all time great keeper in his own right

**QLD has Symonds for some spin if necessary, but on a turner Kasper should make way for Hohns.

The only real weaknesses in this lineup are QLDs 4th bowler and a weak tail.
Why not Tom Veivers for spin.Wouls also sub Tallon for Healy far better stumper

Disagree with your QSL side slightly. I wont consider Wessels since i'd want to keep to Australian players & the fact that he would be in contention for the South African All-time XI. While from research i think Lindwall would surely be in contention for NSW since he spent most of his career their intially.

So i'd go:

Bill Brown
Matthew Hayden
Stuart Law
Greg Chappell
Allan Border (c)
Colin McCool
Ron Archer/Ken McKay
Ian Healy
Kasper
McDermott
Thommo

Sam Trimble the unluckies to miss out..
Ken Mackay over Ron Archer.Law out , Chappell at first drop then Peter Burge.Veivers spin option, Tallon/Grout as keeper.Far superior to Healy

Never heard of Colin McCool before but he certainly looks very accomplished and would make a fine spin choice ahead of Hohns and Symonds. I would play Love ahead of Law if Wessels wasn't selected (though Wessels played for QLD for 7 years, which is hardly insignificant). Also Ron Archer would be a reasonable replacement for Lindwall (I wasn't sure how long Lindwall played for either state).

I still think that Bichel would be a very fine 12th man for this QLD side :)

NSW XI:

Trumper
Simpson
Bradman
Morris
Waugh S
Waugh M
Haddin
Lindwall
Davidson
O'Reilly
McGrath

World class side that. Close to Australia's best possible all time bowling attack too.
So Bradman as a new south welshman. Why not a Soth Australian.Lindwall considered himself a Queenslander even though he started his career there and also played Rugby League for St. GeorgeTaber would be a better stumper than Haddin in standard forms fo the game

JBMAC

State Captain
Players

The following players should be considered when you are selecting your respective State sides in Australia.

Richie Benaud , Phillip Carlson, Peter Burge, Wally Grout, Don Tallon, Ian Redpath, Paul Sheahan, Bruce Yardley,Peter taylor , Bob Holland,David Hookes, Dirk Wellham,Tim May, Bob Massie,Sam Trimble, to name just afew that came to mind missing from some lists.Trimble the only one not to tour with an Australain "Firsts" But did tour NZ with a second string eleven

JBMAC

State Captain
Bset HOMEGROWN QLD Side

1.Sam Trimble
2.Bill Brown
3.Stuart Law
4.Ken Mackay
5.Peter Burge
6.Greg Richie
7.Wally Grout[keeper]
8.Tom Veivers
9.Carl Rackeman
10.Craig McDermott
11.Geoff Dymock
12.Phillip Carlson.[12th man]
I went for the "best" homegrown side.All Qlders....No Botham Surti,Richards,Chappell,Border or Thompson.All these players played Tests.Sam Trimble even was Captain of a Second eleven that toured NZ.It was adifficult side to select
.Even though most players had test caps,Qld never won "the Sheffield Shield" but their players performed magically at times in some superhuman feats of our game.I selected Grout over Healy because he[grout] was A Tallon Protege
and did more "first" in the game. eg 6 dissmissals in a match

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
1.Sam Trimble
2.Bill Brown
3.Stuart Law
4.Ken Mackay
5.Peter Burge
6.Greg Richie
7.Wally Grout[keeper]
8.Tom Veivers
9.Carl Rackeman
10.Craig McDermott
11.Geoff Dymock
I went for the "best" homegrown side.All Qlders....No Botham Surti,Richards,Chappell,Border or Thompson.All these players played Tests.Sam Trimble even was Captain of a Second eleven that toured NZ.It was adifficult side to select
.Even though most players had test caps,Qld never won "the Sheffield Shield" but their players performed magically at times in some superhuman feats of our game.I selected Grout over Healy because he[grout] was A Tallon Protege
and did more "first" in the game. eg 6 dissmissals in a match
A bit of a long tail there Macca, perhaps Archer or Oxenham to strengthen the batting while not losing too much from the bowling? Sam Trimble was definitely one of the best players never to play a Test match (though he was 12th man once wasn't he?), as an opening batsman in that era it was a near impossible task to break the Simpson/Lawry partnership.

JBMAC

State Captain
A bit of a long tail there Macca, perhaps Archer or Oxenham to strengthen the batting while not losing too much from the bowling? Sam Trimble was definitely one of the best players never to play a Test match (though he was 12th man once wasn't he?), as an opening batsman in that era it was a near impossible task to break the Simpson/Lawry partnership.
I think your referring to Tom Veivers...picked this up on cricinfo ...too tired to remeber anything at this stage...he was no mug with awillow in his ahnd...

Of Scottish descent, Tom Vievers, who emerged from Queensland country cricket, was something of an Australian rarity when picked against South Africa in 1963-64. A conventional offspinner, he was a type of bowler not seen in the Baggy Green for some time. And he could bat as well, as he showed in his third Test at Sydney when he held out to defy South Africa in the final match of the series. In England in 1964 his batting fared better than his bowling. He top-scored with 54 at Lord's as Australia were skittled for 176, and in the final Test at The Oval hit an unbeaten 67. He added another two half-centuries in the subsequent series against India, and made 88, his Test-best, against Pakistan at Melbourne in 1964-65. But his bowling, while being accurate and controlled, lacked a cutting edge as his Test average of over 40 showed.
...source Cricinfo

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think your referring to Tom Veivers...picked this up on cricinfo ...too tired to remeber anything at this stage...he was no mug with awillow in his ahnd...

Of Scottish descent, Tom Vievers, who emerged from Queensland country cricket, was something of an Australian rarity when picked against South Africa in 1963-64. A conventional offspinner, he was a type of bowler not seen in the Baggy Green for some time. And he could bat as well, as he showed in his third Test at Sydney when he held out to defy South Africa in the final match of the series. In England in 1964 his batting fared better than his bowling. He top-scored with 54 at Lord's as Australia were skittled for 176, and in the final Test at The Oval hit an unbeaten 67. He added another two half-centuries in the subsequent series against India, and made 88, his Test-best, against Pakistan at Melbourne in 1964-65. But his bowling, while being accurate and controlled, lacked a cutting edge as his Test average of over 40 showed.
...source Cricinfo
Yeah I mate I was thinking that Grout and Veivers were each batting a spot too high for their talent with the willow. To be fair though, having looked now at Tom's career record he was a better batsman than I thought he was, but conversely not as good a bowler!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
1.Sam Trimble
2.Bill Brown
3.Stuart Law
4.Ken Mackay
5.Peter Burge
6.Greg Richie
7.Wally Grout[keeper]
8.Tom Veivers
9.Carl Rackeman
10.Craig McDermott
11.Geoff Dymock

As The Sean said the tail is a bit too long for me. Grout although he probably was a better keeper than Healy, Healy is the better bat & surely would give QLD a better place. Grout never batted that high in tests even.

Soo too McKay never batted that high in tests.

Colin McCool also would seem a better pick than Veivers also based on what i've read. But you saw them haa

Plus i dunno i never saw Trimble bat although i have read some great things about him. But i struggle to see how you could pick him over Hayden regardless.

I went for the "best" homegrown side.All Qlders....No Botham Surti,Richards,Chappell,Border or Thompson.All these players played Tests.
I agree with not considering foreigners like Botham, Richards, Surti etc. But the rest are Australian, even though technically they where not born in the QLD state. A man like Border basically played his entire FC career at QLD (1980 - 95/96) so he really is QLD.

The thing when it comes to picking these FC teams you would hardly ever find a player that 100% homegrown in any cricket nation. So the best thing you can do is pick them for the FC team which they performed best in TBF.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So Bradman as a new south welshman. Why not a Soth Australian.Lindwall considered himself a Queenslander even though he started his career there and also played Rugby League for St. GeorgeTaber would be a better stumper than Haddin in standard forms fo the game
Well the NSW hierarchy last year picked Bradman in their NSW Hall of Fame XI.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Jamaica:

Chris Gayle
Easton McMorris
George Headley*
Maurice Foster
Lawrence Rowe
Jimmy Adams
Jeff Dujon+
Michael Holding
Courtney Walsh
Roy Gilchrist
Alf Valentine

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jamaica:

Chris Gayle
Easton McMorris
George Headley*
Maurice Foster
Lawrence Rowe
Jimmy Adams
Jeff Dujon+
Michael Holding
Courtney Walsh
Roy Gilchrist
Alf Valentine
You could consider John Holt/Allan Rae & Collie Smith instead of McMorris & Adams.

Last edited: