• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moles Resigns; NZ Coaching Situation

Howsie

International Captain
Give him the rest of the summer before you pull out the noose though.
The rest of the summer, I'll give him the Pakistan series (tests included). If he doesn't perform against them there's no way in heck he should play against Australia.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Heard he would continue with his tour diary anyway though it will now be slightly less interesting.

Excerpt from Andy Moles New Tour Diary

Had pancakes this morning with maple syrup, it was delicious. Took the dog for a walk, it did it's business on the sidewalk, the little bugger! I didn't have a baggie so I had to go find a shopping bag to put it in, wandered around for half a bloody'n hour trying to find one. The greenies have got rid of all the plastic bags but they come in handy in situations like this. Was a very irritating little walk.

When I got home the wife told me that Dan had called and the boys had flown out to Dubai. ****ing cricket, ****ing Dubai. Poured myself a scotch and did a bit of a karoke. Now I'm writing this diary... and I spose thats my day.

-Andy

p.s. OH! I almost forgot, I had chops for dinner! Pretty sure I forgot to mention that. Yeah uh well thats pretty much it I guess. Yep.

-Andy

Last edited:

profernity

U19 Debutant
Thanks for posting this.

The article suggests he is getting it in the neck for the players having too much power following the moles axing. Perhaps they are upset at his form as well.

As the article states, there's no replacement named, so it seems more like mild disciplinary action than anything else. If Vettori were to be injured, he'd probably still take over. Now if, say, Ross Taylor were to be named VC instead, that would be a real slap in the face.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with Athlai 100% on the McCullum issue. He's frustrating but there's no way he should be dropped without another candidate making a real case for selection. As far as I can see, no-one has.

Will be very interesting to see how he takes being demoted from vice-captain and also being pushed down the order in ODIs (if it happens as Vettori mentioned). My bet is not well.

I hope Athlai is right that the open-as-an-anchor approach for McCullum in ODIs was Moles' idea and will be scrapped now he's gone. However I suspect Vettori had more to do with tbh, and probably McCullum himself also. They probably identified that someone was needed to do it, and McCullum seems like a guy who always wants to say 'I can do it' to any new responsibility. Even though he repeatedly fails when he takes on new responsibility - seems to be in denial about his own limitations.

Am not-so-secretly hoping that McCullum opens and wallops a couple of quick 50s against Pakistan in the UAE.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
A cleanout perhaps, a much needed one imo.
Hmmm let's see...

Chief advisor wakes up to find a knife in his back.

Prince and heir apparent is forcebly sent away somewhere where he can do no harm.

Seems there can be only ONE king. All Hail King Vettori! ... or your head will be off... *

* No disrespect towards Vettori intended... just find what is happening strangely amusing.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Agree with Athlai 100% on the McCullum issue. He's frustrating but there's no way he should be dropped without another candidate making a real case for selection. As far as I can see, no-one has.

Will be very interesting to see how he takes being demoted from vice-captain and also being pushed down the order in ODIs (if it happens as Vettori mentioned). My bet is not well.

I hope Athlai is right that the open-as-an-anchor approach for McCullum in ODIs was Moles' idea and will be scrapped now he's gone. However I suspect Vettori had more to do with tbh, and probably McCullum himself also. They probably identified that someone was needed to do it, and McCullum seems like a guy who always wants to say 'I can do it' to any new responsibility. Even though he repeatedly fails when he takes on new responsibility - seems to be in denial about his own limitations.

Am not-so-secretly hoping that McCullum opens and wallops a couple of quick 50s against Pakistan in the UAE.
I disagree, Peter McGlashan's averages since 2006/07

06/07 380 at 63
07/08 324 at 40.5
08/09 335 at 47.8

He's also performed in ODI cricket for New Zealand in pretty much his only chance for a decent bat. If those numbers aren't "making a case for selection" then I don't know what a player has to do.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I disagree, Peter McGlashan's averages since 2006/07

06/07 380 at 63
07/08 324 at 40.5
08/09 335 at 47.8

He's also performed in ODI cricket for New Zealand in pretty much his only chance for a decent bat. If those numbers aren't "making a case for selection" then I don't know what a player has to do.
I confess I didn't know that McGlashan had been performing quite that well. I'm assuming that's domestic List A?

I still don't think that warrants replacing McCullum with him though. Not yet at least. For McGlashan to become the first choice wicketkeeper I think this would need to happen.
- McGlashan is included in the ODI squads as backup. Obv should have been for CT instead of Hopkins. But has now been left out for Watling for Pakistan.
- Needs to continue to score runs for NZ whenever he gets a chance. Needs to keep scoring runs domestically. He's already been doing this, so needs to keep it up. But I have a feeling he might struggle to maintain a record quite as good as the last three years.
- McCullum needs to stop scoring runs. McCullum's run-scoring with the bat in ODIs in the last year or two does not warrant dropping him. Furthermore I want to see how McCullum goes now that Moles is gone - hopefully his approach changes.

If McCullum went through a run-scoring rut like Oram has, then it would be time to think about dropping him. Even though I doubt domestic cricket would do him much good. NZ has a record of discarding or annoying senior players far too early and suffers for it. Look at the clamouring for Styris to be back in the team now - It wasn't long ago most were saying he should be dropped, and there's no way Styris or the Black Caps have benefitted from his extended spell out of the team.

So IMO the benefit of the doubt should sit clearly on McCullum's side until the case for replacing him is overwhelming.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
As the article states, there's no replacement named, so it seems more like mild disciplinary action than anything else. If Vettori were to be injured, he'd probably still take over. Now if, say, Ross Taylor were to be named VC instead, that would be a real slap in the face.
On one hand they agreed with the players by dumping Moles.
But then they sent them a don't do it again message.

I guess the process the players followed wasn't perfect after all. And there must have been some player power play despite what Vaughn said.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I confess I didn't know that McGlashan had been performing quite that well. I'm assuming that's domestic List A?

I still don't think that warrants replacing McCullum with him though. Not yet at least. For McGlashan to become the first choice wicketkeeper I think this would need to happen.
- McGlashan is included in the ODI squads as backup. Obv should have been for CT instead of Hopkins. But has now been left out for Watling for Pakistan.
- Needs to continue to score runs for NZ whenever he gets a chance. Needs to keep scoring runs domestically. He's already been doing this, so needs to keep it up. But I have a feeling he might struggle to maintain a record quite as good as the last three years.
- McCullum needs to stop scoring runs. McCullum's run-scoring with the bat in ODIs in the last year or two does not warrant dropping him. Furthermore I want to see how McCullum goes now that Moles is gone - hopefully his approach changes.

If McCullum went through a run-scoring rut like Oram has, then it would be time to think about dropping him. Even though I doubt domestic cricket would do him much good. NZ has a record of discarding or annoying senior players far too early and suffers for it. Look at the clamouring for Styris to be back in the team now - It wasn't long ago most were saying he should be dropped, and there's no way Styris or the Black Caps have benefitted from his extended spell out of the team.

So IMO the benefit of the doubt should sit clearly on McCullum's side until the case for replacing him is overwhelming.
Agree.
We have such a shallow talent pool that we need to nurture our top players rather than teaching them lessons by dropping them.
Our tactic should be identifying top players who can COMPETE at the top level and then making them comfortable in our team so that they can continue until they are like 37 years old. I am hoping that Vettori doesn't retire when he resigns the captaincy - then we will see Patel in every game.

profernity

U19 Debutant
If we were half as good at test cricket as we are with brutal internal politics I'd be ecstatic.

It seems to me that it doesn't matter so much about whether fringe players are recognised for their domestic performances and promoted to the international team, if they are subsequently mishandled. As someone who doesn't follow every aspect of NZ cricket, it's confusing as to why players like Diamanti, Arnel or Patel are selected and aren't given a real chance to play, given that we are rarely in a winning position that demands absolute consistency in selection.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain

Yea it's his List A record. As for some of your points. I don't think McGlashan has been left out for Watling, I just think the selectors didn't feel the need to pick a second specialsit keeper when they have someone like Watling who can do a decent job if needed for a game or two. If McCullum was injured we would of seen Hopkins or McGlashan picked for sure.

As for dropping McCullum and sending him back to domestic cricket, my thinking behind that idea isn't just for him to get some form behind him, it's to show him he isn't immune to being dropped and that his recent performances with the bat aren't good enough. Yes he probably knows this, but I'm guessing he also knows that New Zealand doesn't exactly have the greatest depth with wicket-keepers, and that he might be able to get away with bad form longer then other player's in the team.

I don't want McCullum dropped yet, but if he doesn't perform against Pakistan in the ODI's or test matches I hope the selectors give someone else a very, very good look at.