• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Max

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I stumbled upon the rules of Cricket Max the other day - those New Zealanders amongst us will be familiar with it but I must confess it completely passed me by - it started in 1996 - doubtless someone can confirm how long it lasted

Much more radical than T20 but because of that TBH I think I'd prefer it - feels more like a genuinely new concept (ie not really cricket at all but just a few of the skills ported over to a different sport) than T20 which, while I will now, after five years, watch more than I once did, still seems to be a step too far towards the dark side - not quite the BNP of cricket but distinctly UKIP

General:
1. 2 innings of 10 8-ball overs per team. That is, 4 quarters of 10 overs each.
2. 13 players per team consisting of: 3 batsmen, 2 allrounders, 3 bowlers, 1 wicketkeeper, 4 fielders.
3. 4 stumps and 3 bails.
4. No lbw rule.
5. If a no-ball is bowled, next ball is a free hit (can`t be dismissed unless run out).
6. Wides are 2 runs credited to the batsman on strike.
7. 11 players are in the field at any one time with option of 2 on free interchange.
8. Quarter and three-quarter time, 5 minute interval. Half-time, 10 minute interval.
Batting:
1. Only 5 batsmen (the 3 batsmen and 2 all-rounders) to bat with 2 innings each available.
2. When out, batsman rejoins the batting order.
3. Must lose 10 wickets to be all out (over the 2 innings).
4. Last man in bats alone, with the previous man out acting as runner.
5. Each batsman, in his 1st innings, must score 20 off his first 25 balls or he is deemed "struck out" and dismissed.
6. If ball is hit into or over the Max zone on the full, the batsman scores 12.
7. If caught inside the Max zone, the batsman is not out and scores 6.
8. If a batsman hits 3 boundaries in a row, the 3rd boundary is doubled (8 or 12).
9. Another player can be designated as a pinch hitter in the last 10 oversat any time. If dismissed, a team wicket is used up.
Bowling:
1. 5 bowlers (the 3 bowlers and 2 allrounders) must be used.
2. There must be at least one slow bowler.
3. 5 overs per bowler are available allowing a maximum spell of 3 overs at any time.
4. A bowler can be changed after 4 balls of any over during the crucial last 10 overs at any time. [Nothing mentioned about how this affects the 5-over rule per bowler]. It seems that the designated fielders may bowl in these circumstances.
5. Run ups start inside the inner grid.
Fielding:
1. In the first 10 overs, 2 fielders allowed outside the grid.
2. In the last 10 overs, 4 fielders allowed outside the grid.
3. If any fielder hits the stumps the ball is either dead or the batsman is out.
4. No fielder may be inside the Max zones at the point of delivery.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Think it lasted about 4-5 years in the end? Crowe was pitching it to the ICC big-time, and they forced him to make a few changes (such as four stumps down to three, and changing the rules in the Max Zone so if people were caught they would actually be out, whereas he considered it a safe place for batsmen to hit the ball). But it eventually just fizzled out.

thierry henry

International Coach
Was a much more cleverly thought out game than 20-20, which obviously pretty much required no thought at all to devise.

It started off very popular but then sort of fizzled. I don't think there's any sane reason for it failing and 20-20 being so wildly successful except that humans just don't make no sense.

But if I had to have a guess why, I'd say

(1) Crowe was too far ahead of his time. ODIs were still popular so the world didn't need a third format.

(2) When it comes to cricket, what we're doing in NZ is pretty irrelevant compared to what they're doing in England or India.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
The greatest strength of Twenty20 is its simplicty. The rules are more or less identical to those used in ODIs (and Tests), but the game only lasts 40-overs in total.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The greatest strength of Twenty20 is its simplicty. The rules are more or less identical to those used in ODIs (and Tests), but the game only lasts 40-overs in total.
Indeed. All these extra rules just seem a bit silly IMO.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India winning the inaugural World Twenty20 went a long way to T20 catching on to the extent it has.