• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lightning Bolt blows over Gayle

Xuhaib

International Coach
Lightning Bolt blows over Gayle

Bolt cites Pakistan fast bowler Waqar Younis as his childhood hero
The world's fastest man Usain Bolt proved he is a world beater on the cricket pitch when he smashed Chris Gayle for six before clean bowling the West Indies captain in a charity match in Jamaica.

Captaining his Trelawny All Stars XI team, the 100m and 200m world record holder delighted the gathered fans with an impressive all-round display in a 15-over, four-team invitational charity tournament featuring some of the biggest names in West Indies cricket past and present in the costal town of Discover Bay.

After winning the toss and electing to bat first against Kingston and St Andrew All-Stars XI, Bolt made 13 from 10 deliveries, an innings that included a straight maximum off compatriot Gayle's off-spin, before he was run out.:laugh:
However, the triple Olympic champion made more of an impact with the ball, bowling off a long run up and at good pace, greeting big-hitting Gayle's arrival at the crease with a bouncer from his first delivery.

"I told Chris to watch out I was going to give him one but he didn't really believe it," said Bolt, who cites Pakistan fast bowler Waqar Younis as his childhood hero.
And the 23-year-old brought the crowd to their feet when he castled Gayle's stumps, signalling the direction of the pavilion to his friend for good measure

I liked his first delivery to Chris Gayle, short and very surprising

West Indies great Curtley Ambrose
"I was pretty good as a kid and my cricket coach said I should concentrate on bowling because I was pretty quick running in," added Bolt, who finished with figures of 1-37 after his Trelawny side went down to a two-wicket defeat to Kingston and St Andrew.

"I also used to open the batting for the school team but I haven't batted for a long time.

"The six was a brilliant feeling though. I shouldn't have got out so early but that six was a brilliant shot."

Batsmen Ramnaresh Sarwan and fast bowler Jerome Taylor, part of a group of players to have ended a strike following a pay dispute with the West Indies Cricket Board, were among the gathered celebrities at the Kaiser Sports Club to raise funds for school sports equipment.

And former fast bowling great Curtly Ambrose was impressed with Bolt's bowling performances.

"I liked his first delivery to Chris Gayle, short and very surprising - he's an athlete and he loves cricket and football and obviously he can't fit it all in but he looks good," said the Antiguan, who took 405 Test wickets for the West Indies in a 12-year career.

"He's good with the bat too - after his six I asked him 'where did that come from?' and he said 'it's all coming back now'. He's a good decent cricketer."

Kingston and St Andrew went on to win the tournament after defeating Jerome Taylor's St Elizabeth All Stars XI in the final.

__________________________________________________ _______

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cri...ies/8313778.stm

irfan

State Captain
Reckon he did the lightning bolt pose with the bat instead of actually grounding it..

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah awesome footage that .....as you say he's hardly even jogging in, but all signs suggest he'd be a natural bowler, which is to be expected given his physique & speed.