• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tri-City CC wins Inaugural Mayor's cup

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
Despite the echoes of non-participation out here on our Tri-City CC board, I nonetheless feel compelled to announce that Tri-City has emerged VICTORIOUS in our first ever Mayor's Cup match with West Hill CC of Albany.
Now, those who are unfamiliar with the two clubs (which would be everyone besides me, since no other members of either club have yet to peruse this forum....) must know that Tri-City CC is based in Schenectady NY, an aging, run down, industrial city in upstate NY, about 3.5 hours north of New York City. Albany, by contrast, is a big city wannabee, home of our state's capital and the New York State legislature and governor's office, lots of state workers, and much of the urban blight that plagues communities that are not big enough to be real cities, but are too large to be managed by small local government.
Also, the members of West Hill, at least the founding, core members, are FORMER members of Tri-City, so they are very much our close friends and brethren, but like any siblings, there's quite a bit of good spirited rivalry. Thus was born the Mayor's Cup.....
Of course, all of this will be in my write-up, which I hope to have done in the next couple of days.....but suffice it to say, Tri-City won in convincing fashion, on a wicket that played like soggy cheese, defending a paltry 143 run innings by bowling out West Hill for a mere 75 runs.... Pretty it wasn't, but for this year at least, the trophy is ours. Check out our website later this week for all the gory details
http://tricitycricket.com

Steve

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Congratulations - any idea why they don't come here and post? We'd welcome them with open arms!

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
Thanks for the replies, Eyes & Marc..... Not sure WHY no one posts, but it sure would be nice. It might have something to do with the fact that most of the guys don't use computers all that much..... mostly cell phones (or as the English call them, mobile phones....). I got a lot of kidding from everyone when I proposed creating a website and giving out email addresses to other clubs, so they probably think this forum thing is just another gimmick.
Still, even THEY have to admit that it's given us a much higher profile. In fact, we had a local television station do a short segment on our Mayor's Cup match.... and that was through contacting the reporter via email!!
Anyhow, I'll try and get more people to poke around out here... I know a few of them have been reluctant to "signup", thinking it would subject them to a lot of spam, so I'll have to get them over that.....
Type to you all later!!!

Steve

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
Eyes,
Almost forgot about the umpiring!!! In general, it was good, but the soft wicket made it easier, as many of our guys got out reaching for shots and popping out becuase the ball wouldn't come on to the bat... Not much umpiring needed for a clean catch of a little pop up!!

Steve

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you've got the mayor's cup, what's he going to drink his coffee out of now?

Should have thought of that before you went running amok lifting his crockery. Poor show, I say.

Oh yes - this is a spam-free zone too (although there are a number of Monty Python fans here)

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
Eddie,
Actually, the irony of it all is that here in the U.S., we refer to that portion of a cricketer's "personal protective equipment" as a cup, rather than a "box", so I had asked that the tourney just be for the Mayor's Trophy.......
Seriously, though, the first practice I showed up at when I started playing cricket, the captain asked if I had a box..... and I asked "a box of what?"....

Steve

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
LuckyEddie,
Wow... I'm honored!!! But please make sure you understand... most U.S. cricketers use the term "box"... it's just those of us native born, baseball playing Americans that grew up using the term cup....!

Steve

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steve:

Oh! You're no fun any more.

I have heard the term before (I used to be a bit of a baseball fan) but the beauty of Devil Ducky's 'column' (fnarr fnarr) is that it just has to entertain ME - and the term has always made me chuckle.

The fact that there are other weird, twisted individuals who share my perverted sense of humour and actually READ the thing is a bonus - and the fact that no-one has actually gone out of their way to kill me since I started the column (you don't know any people in Chicago who carry violin cases, do you?) is doubleplus good (sorry, reading Orwell again).

You should feel honoured - you have joined David Hookes, Murali, Sherlock Holmes and WG Singh (my milkman) in the Cricket Web hall of fame - exalted company, I'm sure you'll agree.

Free goldtop for me for a week - he promised.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
TriCitySteve said:
Eyes,
Almost forgot about the umpiring!!! In general, it was good, but the soft wicket made it easier, as many of our guys got out reaching for shots and popping out becuase the ball wouldn't come on to the bat... Not much umpiring needed for a clean catch of a little pop up!!

Steve
If only that were all so easy!! :P