• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke named Australia's Twenty20 captain

Jakester1288

International Regular
Michael Clarke has been confirmed as Australia's new Twenty20 captain and Cameron White will step into the vice-captaincy following the retirement of Ricky Ponting from the format. Clarke was widely expected to take on the leadership and the decision was confirmed by Cricket Australia on Friday.

"I've learnt a lot from Ricky Ponting over the last few years and I'll continue to learn from him," Clarke said. "I'm really excited to lead Australia in the newest form of the game. We've got a young and enthusiastic group but we must recognise that we've got a lot of work to do in Twenty20 cricket and our recent form hasn't been good."

Clarke will have his sights set firmly on next year's ICC World Twenty20 in the Caribbean after Australia were eliminated during the group stage at this year's tournament. Clarke has captained Australia in three Twenty20 internationals and 15 one-day internationals.

"Michael has continued to grow as a player and a leader," Ponting said. "We have developed a strong working relationship and he has always led the team well in my absence. I am sure he will do a very good job with the Twenty20 team and I congratulate him and Cameron White on their appointments."

The appointment of White, 26, as the vice-captain comes during his most successful period in international cricket. He was preferred ahead of Brad Haddin and Michael Hussey for the full-time deputy's role and Cricket Australia's chief executive officer James Sutherland, said White was the right man for the job.

"Michael will be supported in the Twenty20 vice captaincy by Cameron White, whose leadership qualities have been to the fore in recent months and are currently on show at the Champions League Twenty20, where he is leading Victoria in that tournament," Sutherland said. Australia are not scheduled to play their next Twenty20 international until early next year.

Clarke named Australia's Twenty20 captain | Cricket News | Global | Cricinfo.com

Gun that Whites vice, Clarke shouldn't be the captain, as he isn't even warranted a position in the team in my books.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So does that mean we finally have some official weight behind the drive to introduce the one bounce rule to cricket?

howardj

International Coach
If the selectors had balls, the Captain of the Victorian team should be leading the Victorian team out to represent Australia.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No, should've been White - the one who's actually had success in the role at domestic level.
I would have no problem with White becoming skipper, but my reservations is given he is now beginning to step up @ international level, i'm not sure if given him a captaincy burden is right ATS. Haddin is very good T20 batsman, ternational regular & he also is solid state captain - thats why i was leaning towards him before the selectors made this dumb choice.