Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponting better than Sachin : Ian Chappell

Ponting better than Sachin : Ian Chappell

The first shot has been fired . Link

Hmmm, so he's basically saying that Tendulkar used to be better than Ponting but now Ponting is better than Tendulkar? Truly earth-shattering stuff.

In fact, the one point of controversy here isn't that Ponting is today better than Tendulkar (few would disagree with that) but that Punter is still the world's no.1. For three or four years Ponting was in a class of his own, but that stopped in 2007 and there are a number of players who could legitimately claim to be the world's best right now.
    Last edited by The Sean; 14-10-2009 at 11:39 AM.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    FTR, Ponting's been a good Test batsman and no more since the Third Test in the 2006/07 Ashes.

Anyway, at any Ponting-Tendulkar comparisons. 95% of what's said will be a waste of space.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

U19 Captain
    LOL I swear I saw this coming hearing the man commentate in the champions trophy against west indies, he was just madly in love with Ponting, I knew he would come out in a week claiming Ponting is the greatest thing of all time or someithng...

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I think that Ponting has clearly been better for much of this decade. I don't think anyone will dispute this. I don't think Ian is saying that Ponting is better overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Didn't Chappell also say Tendulkar should retire not that long ago? Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I think that Ponting has clearly been better for much of this decade. I don't think anyone will dispute this.
    Ponting was clearly better 2003/04-2006/07, that hardly requires Einstein to work-out. Between whenever it was Ponting was born (IIRR about a year after Tendulkar) and 2002/03, Tendulkar was clearly better. Well, maybe it'd be fairer to say since whenever they started playing seriously - presumably about the same sort of time I was born. (I guess they'd have started at about 10-11)

Since 2007 it's debateable who's been best; either have a fair case, I might plump for Tendulkar but I'd not begrudge anyone plumping for Ponting.

Tendulkar was nothing more than a pretty average-to-poor Test batsman 2003/04-2005/06. Ponting from 2001/02 to 2006/07 was clearly a quite excellent one (I'd stop short of calling him the sheer magnificent one some confer on him). Since 2007 they've both been obvious past-best-but-clearly-once-outstanding material. Both in that time have still played innings' to rank with their finest but have been unable to produce with the regularity they once did.
    Last edited by Richard; 14-10-2009 at 12:42 PM.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Agree with Richard.

U19 Captain
    How can you say Ponting has surpassed him when Tendulkar just playing one of the best innings of his life scoring 140 odd recently???

Sure Tendulkar was a shadow of himself for a couple of years but he was never truly out of the loop. His ability to adjust is just tremendous and he has been severely unlucky with some of the outs he has gotten.

Tendulkar is still the best in the world IMO, Ponting had the edge for a few years but that hardly matters in the long run.

Nah, no question for me Shivnarine Chanderpaul has been the best from 2007/08 to the current time. It's just a shame he's not currently playing - without him it's probably a straight fight between Michael Clarke and Kevin Pietersen.

All have been comfortably better than Tendulkar and Ponting of late, who as I say leave no-one in any doubt about how good they once were and are still capable, sometimes, of evoking that, but both are quite clearly not what they once were. Still easily good enough to play Test cricket, of course, but no longer good enough to dominate The World.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nah, no question for me Shivnarine Chanderpaul has been the best from 2007/08 to the current time. It's just a shame he's not currently playing - without him it's probably a straight fight between Michael Clarke and Kevin Pietersen.
    ABdV and KP fighting for the no.1 spot with Gambhir, Strauss, Sehwag, Clarke and a few others fighting for the no.2 spot imo.

i would ask him.. Ian what u smoking son.. would u like to share some of that with us here..

Sachin.. better than all.. equally as good as lara..

Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    ABdV and KP fighting for the no.1 spot with Gambhir, Strauss, Sehwag, Clarke and a few others fighting for the no.2 spot imo.
    TBF I suppose Sehwag has a case actually, hadn't thought of him for some reason. ABdeV, good as he's been in the last couple of years, hasn't really been as good as I think his figures suggest (far more of his run-scoring than not has been of the ramming home the advantage variety - only once or twice has he genuinely seized the initiative). Gambhir, no way. Good Test batsman, sure; best around, not even close. Strauss likewise.
    Last edited by Richard; 14-10-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Ian smokes Pot all the time. Ignore him.
    My favourite X1
    Viru Sehwag, Matty Hayden,
    BC Lara, S Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Andrew Flintoff,
    Adam Gilchrist
    S Warne, C Ambrose
    D Steyn, G McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    TBF I suppose Sehwag has a case actually, hadn't thought of him for some reason. ABdeV, good as he's been in the last couple of years, hasn't really been as good as I think his figures suggest (far more of his run-scoring than not has been of the ramming home the advantage variety - only once or twice has he genuinely seized the initiative). Gambhir, no way. Good Test batsman, sure; best around, not even close. Strauss likewise.
    My bad. Should have added the line 'based on performances in the last year' to my previous post.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information