• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting better than Sachin : Ian Chappell

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
One of them is better than two of those, the other not better than any.

So in conclusion, no, I don't think either will go down as the #2nd best since Bradman, nor 2nd best Australian since Bradman.
Agree and disagree. Neither of them are better than any of those, at least conclusively. It's "iffy" in every respect for all those player v player comparisons; that's kind of the point.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Funny, considering most people who argue in favour of Lara in the famous Lara vs. Sachin debates (in my opinion, far worse than Ponting vs. Sachin), say Lara played more match-winning innings than Sachin as the key point where Lara has the edge.

Really interesting.
Lara record in the final of odis was average,in tests he has played match winning knocks
but it seemed so as he had lesser support from other batsman.but fact is tendulkar has
played many match winning innings,infact most test matches india has won tendulkar has played a major role,and in the last 2 years he has won many matches for india,ponting
has had a average last 2 years considering he was the best batsman for 4 years,but loss
of great players,spending more time on the field than usual has lead to his decline,he has the pressure now of being mainstay of aussie batting with no hayden,langer,i will be keenl;y following his later half of his career as now the playing firld is even.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To me, it is really stupid.. Having watched almost every game of the Windies during Lara's time, I can say without hesitation that the ONLY times Windies EVER looked like competing and winning was when Lara was going well. And as for performing in test matches where nothing is on the stake, I don't wanna go too deep into the stats but off the top of my head, most of his best knocks came in LIVE test matches.

The people UC is referring to are probably people who are rabid Windies fans who enjoy having someone to blame for the mess they are in... The opinion UC says they expressed is stupid and unknowledgable to say the least...
It's true, of course, that the West Indies were useless when Lara didn't compete, but the fans generally point to their performances since Lara's retirement. In test cricket especially, there's been a pretty sizeable improvement.

I'd just put that down to Shiv Chanderpaul being better in that time than Lara had been for years. But you could argue that Lara's retirement and Shiv's improvement were related.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I put it down to some semi-decent bowling - easily the best sustained bowling we've seen from West Indian teams since Walsh's retirement in 2001. That of which Lara has no control whatsoever.

There were no shortage of occasions 2001/02-2006/07 when West Indies had a strong batting unit, including but certainly not limited to Lara - Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Jacobs to some extent. Batting won't win matches though, it can only contribute to drawing them. And even really good batting can sometimes still see plenty of defeats if bowling is deplorably weak and opposition can routinely pile-up 600-7 in reply to your 450s.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Have to agree with Rich here, Edwards and Taylor make up the best bowlers that they have had in a long time. If Lara had played with a group of 2-3 highly talented bowlers (probably better than the aforementioned and closer to the skills of Walsh) he would have certainly played more 'match-winning knocks'. The conundrum of that phrase in relation to batting is that you need some match-winning bowling to get you there.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's true, of course, that the West Indies were useless when Lara didn't compete, but the fans generally point to their performances since Lara's retirement. In test cricket especially, there's been a pretty sizeable improvement.

I'd just put that down to Shiv Chanderpaul being better in that time than Lara had been for years. But you could argue that Lara's retirement and Shiv's improvement were related.
conveniently ignoring the better bowlers they have right now, not to mention a more mature GAyle and Sarwan plus a more talented Ramdin as the wicket-keeper batsman and of course, Dwayne Bravo to give the side balance...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ramdin may be a much more naturally talented wicketkeeper than Jacobs (who only took-up keeping in his mid-20s) but there's no way he's a patch on Jacobs as a cricketer.

bagapath

International Captain
I can see your logic here, because Ponting scores more runs per innings Tendulkar and Lara must be better.
i get your sarcasm here. because ponting averages more than lara and sachin you may want to suggest he is better them. are you also going to rate ricky above richards/gavaskar/g.chappell as well because he averages more than them?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have to agree with Rich here, Edwards and Taylor make up the best bowlers that they have had in a long time. If Lara had played with a group of 2-3 highly talented bowlers (probably better than the aforementioned and closer to the skills of Walsh) he would have certainly played more 'match-winning knocks'. The conundrum of that phrase in relation to batting is that you need some match-winning bowling to get you there.
I guess, it depends on whether you only include knocks which contributed sizeably to a victory or whether you also include knocks which ordinarily would have been match-winning (ordinarily meaning, 'if the team had decent bowlers') but the team lost/drew.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The first shot has been fired . Link
Chappell said "...for a long part of his (SRT's) career he was the best batsman in the world. I don't think he is that anymore. I think Ricky Ponting has taken that role over now."

What's the big deal?

No one can disagree with that even Sachin's strongest supporter's would agree. Times of India, by making the headline ambiguous to the time frame - Ponting better than Sachin: Chappell- is just doing what media does most of the time, make an issue where none exists in the fond hope that the fans (both of Sachin and Ricky) will take the bait and, as can be seen on this thread, their hope was not misplaced.

pasag

RTDAS
Seems to me they're about even now around now. Both past their peak, approaching retirement, not going to score amazingly like in years gone by but will come out with a gem of an innings every so often.

Debris

International 12th Man
This is why no-one should really take this sort of thing seriously. Sure it is fun to try and compare batsman but in reality you can't do it. There are way too many variables at play here.

Pitch conditions, what type of bowlers are dominant at the time, injuries, number of tests played, form of rest of team, etc all have an effect on how a batsman performs and it probably changes on a daily basis.

After say that, there is no way Lara is anywhere near as good as Tendulkar or Ponting :ph34r:

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
Chappell said "...for a long part of his (SRT's) career he was the best batsman in the world. I don't think he is that anymore. I think Ricky Ponting has taken that role over now."

What's the big deal?

No one can disagree with that even Sachin's strongest supporter's would agree. Times of India, by making the headline ambiguous to the time frame -Ponting better than Sachin: Chappell is just doing what media does most of the time, make an issue where none exists in the fond hope that the fans (both of Sachin and Ricky) will take the bait and, as can be seen on this thread, their hope was not misplaced.
Ponting better than Sachin: Chappell
TNN 13 October 2005, 10:11pm IST

its all about the date of the article. coupla years late ??

Last edited: