• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting better than Sachin : Ian Chappell

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm, so he's basically saying that Tendulkar used to be better than Ponting but now Ponting is better than Tendulkar? Truly earth-shattering stuff.

In fact, the one point of controversy here isn't that Ponting is today better than Tendulkar (few would disagree with that) but that Punter is still the world's no.1. For three or four years Ponting was in a class of his own, but that stopped in 2007 and there are a number of players who could legitimately claim to be the world's best right now.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FTR, Ponting's been a good Test batsman and no more since the Third Test in the 2006/07 Ashes.

Anyway, :yawn: at any Ponting-Tendulkar comparisons. 95% of what's said will be a waste of space.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
LOL I swear I saw this coming hearing the man commentate in the champions trophy against west indies, he was just madly in love with Ponting, I knew he would come out in a week claiming Ponting is the greatest thing of all time or someithng...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think that Ponting has clearly been better for much of this decade. I don't think anyone will dispute this. I don't think Ian is saying that Ponting is better overall.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think that Ponting has clearly been better for much of this decade. I don't think anyone will dispute this.
Ponting was clearly better 2003/04-2006/07, that hardly requires Einstein to work-out. Between whenever it was Ponting was born (IIRR about a year after Tendulkar) and 2002/03, Tendulkar was clearly better. Well, maybe it'd be fairer to say since whenever they started playing seriously - presumably about the same sort of time I was born. :ph34r: (I guess they'd have started at about 10-11)

Since 2007 it's debateable who's been best; either have a fair case, I might plump for Tendulkar but I'd not begrudge anyone plumping for Ponting.

Tendulkar was nothing more than a pretty average-to-poor Test batsman 2003/04-2005/06. Ponting from 2001/02 to 2006/07 was clearly a quite excellent one (I'd stop short of calling him the sheer magnificent one some confer on him). Since 2007 they've both been obvious past-best-but-clearly-once-outstanding material. Both in that time have still played innings' to rank with their finest but have been unable to produce with the regularity they once did.

Last edited:

mohammad16

U19 Captain
How can you say Ponting has surpassed him when Tendulkar just playing one of the best innings of his life scoring 140 odd recently???

Sure Tendulkar was a shadow of himself for a couple of years but he was never truly out of the loop. His ability to adjust is just tremendous and he has been severely unlucky with some of the outs he has gotten.

Tendulkar is still the best in the world IMO, Ponting had the edge for a few years but that hardly matters in the long run.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, no question for me Shivnarine Chanderpaul has been the best from 2007/08 to the current time. It's just a shame he's not currently playing - without him it's probably a straight fight between Michael Clarke and Kevin Pietersen.

All have been comfortably better than Tendulkar and Ponting of late, who as I say leave no-one in any doubt about how good they once were and are still capable, sometimes, of evoking that, but both are quite clearly not what they once were. Still easily good enough to play Test cricket, of course, but no longer good enough to dominate The World.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Nah, no question for me Shivnarine Chanderpaul has been the best from 2007/08 to the current time. It's just a shame he's not currently playing - without him it's probably a straight fight between Michael Clarke and Kevin Pietersen.
ABdV and KP fighting for the no.1 spot with Gambhir, Strauss, Sehwag, Clarke and a few others fighting for the no.2 spot imo.

AaronK

State Regular
i would ask him.. Ian what u smoking son.. would u like to share some of that with us here..

Sachin.. better than all.. equally as good as lara..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ABdV and KP fighting for the no.1 spot with Gambhir, Strauss, Sehwag, Clarke and a few others fighting for the no.2 spot imo.
TBF I suppose Sehwag has a case actually, hadn't thought of him for some reason. ABdeV, good as he's been in the last couple of years, hasn't really been as good as I think his figures suggest (far more of his run-scoring than not has been of the ramming home the advantage variety - only once or twice has he genuinely seized the initiative). Gambhir, no way. Good Test batsman, sure; best around, not even close. Strauss likewise.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
TBF I suppose Sehwag has a case actually, hadn't thought of him for some reason. ABdeV, good as he's been in the last couple of years, hasn't really been as good as I think his figures suggest (far more of his run-scoring than not has been of the ramming home the advantage variety - only once or twice has he genuinely seized the initiative). Gambhir, no way. Good Test batsman, sure; best around, not even close. Strauss likewise.
My bad. Should have added the line 'based on performances in the last year' to my previous post.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Well even if he believes that Ponting is better than Sachin..its his opinion...he is entitled to it..its not a big deal...He does have a point though..over the last couple of years..especial 2001-2005, Ponting has been more consistent than both Lara and Tendulkar..however that might have something to do with a couple of factors..

1)Lara was already past his peak, being much older.
2)Tendulkar was suffering from various injury problems, having played much more than Ponting
3)Most of the great fast bowlers of the 90s, Donald, Ambrose, Walsh, Wasim and Waqar were gone.

There was a huge difference between the Ponting that played against Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib and Saqlain in 99-00 and the Ponting that played against half fit Shoaib, Rana Naved, Danish Kaneria and Iftikhar Anjum in 04-05.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bollocksssss.

1st Test: South Africa v Australia at Johannesburg, Feb 26-Mar 2, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

1st Test: Australia v South Africa at Perth, Dec 17-21, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

4th Test: England v South Africa at The Oval, Aug 7-11, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

2nd Test: England v South Africa at Leeds, Jul 18-21, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

2nd Test: India v South Africa at Ahmedabad, Apr 3-5, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

The guy's ****ing good.

Shiv's the best though.

bagapath

International Captain
ian's comments are not really controversial. ponting has been better than sachin at various times in the last 7 years. but, whatever happens from now on, tendulkar would still be remembered as a better batsman overall. this has a lot to do with him playing in a tougher era initially, his longevity and his ability to adapt himself to changing trends over two decades and for being more consistent in all countries than ponting. (ricky has an obvious weakness on indian wickets).

ponting would be, in my opinion, remembered with a lot of respect but will always be overshadowed by sachin and brian. i stand by my earlier post comparing this trio with richards, g.chappell and miandad. all were equally good but one of them clearly has got the third position with the other two sharing the first two spots.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ian's comments are not really controversial. ponting has been better than sachin at various times in the last 7 years. but, whatever happens from now on, tendulkar would still be remembered as a better batsman overall. this has a lot to do with him playing in a tougher era initially, his longevity and his ability to adapt himself to changing trends over two decades and for being more consistent in all countries than ponting. (ricky has an obvious weakness on indian wickets).

ponting would be, in my opinion, remembered with a lot of respect but will always be overshadowed by sachin and brian. i stand by my earlier post comparing this trio with richards, g.chappell and miandad. all were equally good but one of them clearly has got the third position with the other two sharing the first two spots.
AWTA. Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this. Overall Lara & Tendulkar by a smallish margin ahead of Ponting, who's no mug himself.