Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponting better than Sachin : Ian Chappell

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Well even if he believes that Ponting is better than Sachin..its his opinion...he is entitled to it..its not a big deal...He does have a point though..over the last couple of years..especial 2001-2005, Ponting has been more consistent than both Lara and Tendulkar..however that might have something to do with a couple of factors..

1)Lara was already past his peak, being much older.
    2)Tendulkar was suffering from various injury problems, having played much more than Ponting
    3)Most of the great fast bowlers of the 90s, Donald, Ambrose, Walsh, Wasim and Waqar were gone.

There was a huge difference between the Ponting that played against Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib and Saqlain in 99-00 and the Ponting that played against half fit Shoaib, Rana Naved, Danish Kaneria and Iftikhar Anjum in 04-05.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    TBF I suppose Sehwag has a case actually, hadn't thought of him for some reason. ABdeV, good as he's been in the last couple of years, hasn't really been as good as I think his figures suggest (far more of his run-scoring than not has been of the ramming home the advantage variety - only once or twice has he genuinely seized the initiative). Gambhir, no way. Good Test batsman, sure; best around, not even close. Strauss likewise.
    Bollocksssss.

1st Test: South Africa v Australia at Johannesburg, Feb 26-Mar 2, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

1st Test: Australia v South Africa at Perth, Dec 17-21, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

4th Test: England v South Africa at The Oval, Aug 7-11, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

2nd Test: England v South Africa at Leeds, Jul 18-21, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

2nd Test: India v South Africa at Ahmedabad, Apr 3-5, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

The guy's ****ing good.

Shiv's the best though.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    ian's comments are not really controversial. ponting has been better than sachin at various times in the last 7 years. but, whatever happens from now on, tendulkar would still be remembered as a better batsman overall. this has a lot to do with him playing in a tougher era initially, his longevity and his ability to adapt himself to changing trends over two decades and for being more consistent in all countries than ponting. (ricky has an obvious weakness on indian wickets).

ponting would be, in my opinion, remembered with a lot of respect but will always be overshadowed by sachin and brian. i stand by my earlier post comparing this trio with richards, g.chappell and miandad. all were equally good but one of them clearly has got the third position with the other two sharing the first two spots.
    Last edited by bagapath; 14-10-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    ian's comments are not really controversial. ponting has been better than sachin at various times in the last 7 years. but, whatever happens from now on, tendulkar would still be remembered as a better batsman overall. this has a lot to do with him playing in a tougher era initially, his longevity and his ability to adapt himself to changing trends over two decades and for being more consistent in all countries than ponting. (ricky has an obvious weakness on indian wickets).

ponting would be, in my opinion, remembered with a lot of respect but will always be overshadowed by sachin and brian. i stand by my earlier post comparing this trio with richards, g.chappell and miandad. all were equally good but one of them clearly has got the third position with the other two sharing the first two spots.
    AWTA. Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this. Overall Lara & Tendulkar by a smallish margin ahead of Ponting, who's no mug himself.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

30+ pages conservatively.

Just wait until ikki gets in here
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Chappell says currently Ponting is better than Sachin. Why is that even an issue?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nah, no question for me Shivnarine Chanderpaul has been the best from 2007/08 to the current time. It's just a shame he's not currently playing - without him it's probably a straight fight between Michael Clarke and Kevin Pietersen.

All have been comfortably better than Tendulkar and Ponting of late, who as I say leave no-one in any doubt about how good they once were and are still capable, sometimes, of evoking that, but both are quite clearly not what they once were. Still easily good enough to play Test cricket, of course, but no longer good enough to dominate The World.
    Over-rating Clarke imo. He's about the same level as AB and other 2nd tier guys. No mention of Sanga?

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Chappell says currently Ponting is better than Sachin. Why is that even an issue?
    Because there's always a few drama-queens who like to make something out of nothing, surely you've been around CW long enough to know that without being told

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    There is no question that Ponting was the best batsman in the world from 2003-2007 by a fairly wide distance and far better than Tendulkar in that period though this was a time of relatively flat tracks and mediocre attacks. Since then there has been little to choose between them though I would give Sachin the edge. Before 2003 Tendulkar was a better batsman by a wide margin and IMO his batting between 93 and 2002 was the best since Bradman. What does this mean for their careers? I would give it to Tendulkar by a significant margin and my guess is this is the majority view though far from unanimous.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Just wait until ikki gets in here
    Already been here and left .

Ponting: better against the best in the 90s, better against everybody else all-up. More complete record. Not much more needs to be said. Although I think bagapath is right and people will always tend to rate Tendulkar ahead, I don't think he is actually superior.

And really, this bit from Chappell is not newsworthy. If anything, it's late. And why should it be so naughty even if it were talking overall? I don't think Aussies would take it badly if Gavaskar said Tendulkar is better than Ponting. Both great batsmen, either way.
    Last edited by Ikki; 15-10-2009 at 03:40 AM.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Interestingly, the aggregate average in games Ponting has played in is lower than the aggregate average in games Tendulkar has played in. (32.81 to 33.77).

Obviously you can point to Ponting's superior attack, but then his batting partners were largely superior too. I do certainly think Tendulkar's the better batsman overall, but I can't help but feel the "Ponting played only on flat pitches" is quite badly overstated. As it always is on CW, actually. The Richard influence.

Quote Originally Posted by asty80 View Post
    Ian smokes Pot all the time. Ignore him.
    Comments like that are unacceptable and don't add anything to the discussion.

Please refrain from posts like that in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I can't help but feel the "Ponting played only on flat pitches" is quite badly overstated.
    I dont think it has been stated enough to be called overstated. if you compare the aggregate averages from the 90s with the 00s, the current era is definitely easier for batters.

90s: 31.64
    00s: 34.08

a difference of 2.5 runs shows that it is possible for a batsman to average more in the last 10 years than the decade before.

but despite this, ponting's superiority over tendulkar (and everyone else) for most of this decade should be accepted without any grumbling. only while juxtaposing their overall careers the nature of wickets in this era gets taken into account apart from other factors and puts tendulkar well ahead of ricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissector
    Before 2003 Tendulkar was a better batsman by a wide margin and IMO his batting between 93 and 2002 was the best since Bradman.
    I agree with the first part of the statement. But since WW2 we have had hutton, the three Ws, g.pollock, gavaskar, g.chappell, and lara to compete for the "best since bradman" tag. even if they all could be placed behind sachin (personally i think lara is a tad above tendy) one can't ignore gary sobers and viv richards. they were peerless. and even in an all-time list they have only the don, hobbs and hammond to share the top 5 positions. lara and sachin should come immediately after them; ricky ponting will be there too within the next 10 names - and that is a very very big deal.
    Last edited by bagapath; 15-10-2009 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Ponting: better against the best in the 90s, better against everybody else all-up. More complete record. Not much more needs to be said. Although I think bagapath is right and people will always tend to rate Tendulkar ahead, I don't think he is actually superior.
    hi ikki. i have promised my wife i would take her out this evening and wont waste my time fighting with you over useless cricket stats. still........

ricky's record in india is bad. so dont call his record "complete". failing in one test playing nation is not as pardonable as failing against a country on home conditions (example: sachin against SA at home). it is obvious that sachin can bat in india because he has done well in home conditions. he has also scored 3 hundreds in SA. ricky can play indian bowling; we know that because he scores very well against them in australia. but he is pathetic in india. though it is not a crime and i am not asking for his head, u cant say his record is more complete. ponting does have some unfinished business.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information