• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

batsman who never wore helmets

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Batsmen who never wore helmets when the helmets had been introduced?

Viv Richards is the obvious answer, but I was having a discussion with a friend of mine, and as far as I remember Gavaskar never wore one either, but I am not sure.

Larry Gomes did not wear it much I guess, but if I remember correctly I did see him wear it atleast once.

Can you guys think of any others?

Eclipse

International Debutant
I remember Ponting never used to were a helmet for quite a while.

Infact last year he did not were a helmet in a game against Pakistan with Sami & Shoib bowling to him talk about confidence lol.

He should have know better though because he got hit in the head and since then I cant remember him taking his helmet off exept against spinners.

That little picture in my avitar off Ponting playing a pull shot with no helmet was played off Wasim Akram.

Last edited:

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
interesting...

i have also witnessed this kind of daring. in WC87 in a match against WI saleem yousuf came into bat against marshall, walsh and bishop without a helmet when pak were in dire straits and went on to play one of the gems of that WC. He was a brave cricketer.

Miandad, Greenidge etc never used to wear helmets in the beginning as a matter of pide, but in Miandad's case when he got that nasty blow on his head, he wore the helmet consistently after that.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Gavaskar wore a kind of plastic 'skull-cap' kind of thing for a while......it didn't look as though it would have done much good.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I remember a few years ago some South African deciding against the Helmet when facing McGrath but I cant remember who it was.

Maybe Punter wanted the short pitched stuff because to my amazment he actualy took his helmet off once When Donald came into the attack. Just imagine what Donald was thinking I know if it was me I would feel like they guy did not respect me and try to bowl at his head.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I hate the look of the new helmets some of the aussies are wearing they look awfull IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can understand (to an extent) not wearing a helmet in ODI's as body-line is almost absent due to regulations, but in Tests, it's a must. IMO it's not "brave" not to wear a helmet, it's just stupid.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Murali was the first to wear the 'new' helmet, I believe, in the recent test series in the West Indies (see DD article about forehead-furrowing room, eyes, hypnosis and witchcraft).

My favourite story about a batsman wearing a cap relates to Dennis Lillee and Derek Randall in the Centenary Test. Lillee dropped Randall with a bouncer, the England batsman leaped to his feet and doffed his cap to Lillee.

Class.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Absolute madness lol, amazing that people did not wear a helmet against such pace, but i guess it has always been a part of cricket, incredible that there were not many deaths (if any?)

I hate the new style helmets.. I see Martin van Jaarsveld of SA has one, the virus is spreading, they look awful :rolleyes:

Personally i wear a cap unless its quick stuff, and i leave my helmet on the boundary, just in case..

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
i agree-i don't like the new style helmets

eclispe, i also remember that game ponting didn't wear his helmet, he didn't come out initially without one, but once he got confidence he took it off. can't remember who he got hit by though...

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I can see how guys who are good at playing the short stuff (hooking, pulling) get over confident and not wear helmets, ponting etc, but I also think its stupid. There can always be some awkward bounce, which the batsman cannot negotiate, and which can be disastrous.

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
Murali was the first to wear the 'new' helmet, I believe, in the recent test series in the West Indies (see DD article about forehead-furrowing room, eyes, hypnosis and witchcraft).

My favourite story about a batsman wearing a cap relates to Dennis Lillee and Derek Randall in the Centenary Test. Lillee dropped Randall with a bouncer, the England batsman leaped to his feet and doffed his cap to Lillee.

Class.
That would be a the most smart alec thing to do back.

I have wore a helmet, but then again it isnt as though I am facing Brett Lee or Shane Bond.

And nor do I bat long enough not to worry about it.

I find it interesting how that since helmets came in, I notice a lot of batsmen or some take their eyes off the ball and get hit, whereas I find without a helmet it would place the onus to watch the ball and not get hit.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt it compulsory for all junior cricketers in England to wear helmets unless who ever is in charge has wrote a letter giving permission not to wear a helmet?

I agree with it though.

Andre

International Regular
As far as I remember, Richie Richardson rarely if ever used to wear a helmet - almost always wore the floppy hat.

As for the new helmet's, they are not exactly good looking, but I have one and geez are they comfortable! So light and it allows for more air to come in.

I think they will be the way of the future.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I am pretty sure I have seen richie richardson wear a helmet, atleast in austrailia, although without a vizer i think.

I have a feeling that there really was no one else who did not wear helmets.

As for Sunil Gavaskar, he used to wear that funny looking floppy hat, to protect it from flying off i think, nothing to do with protecting his head.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Richardson only wore a helmet in his last couple of years of test cricket, and even then it was only the 'temple guard' kind.......I guess he felt that his reflexes had faded a bit.
Prior to that he always wore his floppy red hat.........

Kenny

U19 Debutant
royGilchrist said:
As for Sunil Gavaskar, he used to wear that funny looking floppy hat, to protect it from flying off i think, nothing to do with protecting his head.
I was referring to a tight fitting plastic thing that Sunny used to wear - his hair used to stick out of the top of it!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richardson only wore a helmet in his last couple of years of test cricket, and even then it was only the 'temple guard' kind.
My footage of the 1995 Test series against Australia and the next year's one-day series in Australia shows Ritchie with a full-face grill helmet.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Top_Cat said:
My footage of the 1995 Test series against Australia and the next year's one-day series in Australia shows Ritchie with a full-face grill helmet.
Yes you're right, I stand corrected.

Damn!! Third time I've been wrong this year.........:rolleyes: