• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

batsman who never wore helmets

Bazza

International 12th Man
I was digging through some old photo albums the other day. There is one with a TV in the background and it has Viv Richards in shot. I reckon this is circa 1993 but am assuming it was when WI toured England, which from memory would be a bit before that.

Anyway he wasn't wearing a helmet, although it's unclear whether he was batting or fielding.

Bit of a pointless story I guess but I wanted to share it with you anyway! :P

Rich2001

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Murali was the first to wear the 'new' helmet, I believe, in the recent test series in the West Indies (see DD article about forehead-furrowing room, eyes, hypnosis and witchcraft).
No they have been around longer than that, I def' recall J Langer wearing one in the Ashes last year, and I thought I'll find a pic to prove it :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I stand corrected

<quack> Pig shows me up like that. Right. Open season on Kent players in the next DD column. I'll show him who's (maniacal quacking fades into the distance)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt it compulsory for all junior cricketers in England to wear helmets unless who ever is in charge has wrote a letter giving permission not to wear a helmet?

I agree with it though.

It is indeed, and I have to come up with a letter from my father at the start of the season giving me permission not to wear one...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Matt horne never wore a helmet with a grill, don't know if that has changed or not recently.

Personally I hate helmets however I wear them more against spin then Pace. With Pace it is easier to know what the ball is going to do so easier to keep you eyes on it.

Most of the time I wear one with spin because of sweeping etc and I know that most of the womens internationals do the same.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I never wore a helmet in 25 years of playing. Mind you, for most of my 'career' there was no such thing.

I got smacked on the head any number of times and it never did me any harm.

Do you know that the star Aldebaran have a cricket team composed entirely of fruit and small pieces of carpet?

Rich2001

International Captain
Tamara said:
Matt horne never wore a helmet with a grill, don't know if that has changed or not recently.

Might be me, but did Jimmy Adams of the West Indies ever wear grill on his? I know he hasn't for the last few years at least but not sure about earlier. Come to think of it Carl Hooper doesn't either does he?

And also a Sri Lankan player never wore a grill much either Arvinder I blieve it was.

Mind you after watching A Dale take a awful blow tonight, and with blood everywhere and a huge swollen eye I can't see why you would want to bat without one, espically when bolwers like Mcgrath (aus) make comments to the press like "I go out to hurt a batsman, if I get the wickets than that's good to" (made during the WC99 in Eng)

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Sherwin Campbell and Matt Elliott dont wear a grill on their helmets, although Michael Slater did once make a great point - if you are going to wear a helmet you might as well go the full 9 yards or not bother at all.

Sir Garry Sobers said he wouldnt wear a helmet if he were playing now.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I remember one from SRL too named Lanka De Silva. He had a great start to his International career then came to India with SRL team in 1997 . He was batting in one of the test matches and was wearing a helmet without a grill and was facing Srinath. Srinath bowled a bouncer, he tried to pull but missed and got hit on the nose and eyes and there was blood everywhere . Never played cricket again i beleive as he had a problem with his eye sight :(

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adams has worn a helmet with a grill before. Hooper, I can't remember seeing him in one. Campbell has worn it with the grill at times.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Greg Chappell??? I don't remember any pictures of him with a helmet and he was a great player against pace.....

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Greg Chappell? Really? Interesting. if Eddie or someone else could verify it would be great.

On the topic, do you guys know the year when helmets were introduced first?

Kenny

U19 Debutant
royGilchrist said:
Greg Chappell? Really? Interesting. if Eddie or someone else could verify it would be great.

On the topic, do you guys know the year when helmets were introduced first?
I would take an educated guess and say 1978, with Tony Greig's motorbike helmet being the first one.
And I 'm pretty sure Chappell wore a helmet with perspex ear guards in the last part of his career.....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
World Series Cricket marked the beginning of helmets.
Certainly the 1970's, I reckon.

May have been the same for short-leg fielders.

They were awful things - the ball could penetrate the grille under certain circumstances.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Craig said:
World Series Cricket marked the beginning of helmets.
Yeees, that's correct.......I remember Australia touring England in 1977 with the full side, and WSC started that summer, 1977/78, whilst the Aussie test side was captained by Bob Simpson, with 9 test debuts as I recall.......Jeff Thomson being the other player who had played tests besides Simpson.

So I will stick with 1978 as the first time a helmet was worn by a batsman, and I think it was Tony Greig. Dennis Amiss also wore a similar design, and I think even Barry Richards wore one of those motorbike style helmets.