Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Resurgence Of The West Indies?

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar

A Resurgence Of The West Indies?

My cousin brother made this point while I was discussing with him that for the first time in our cricket watching lives, we are seeing genuine talent come back to the West Indies in numbers.

Is it wrong to think that they may rise again? They may not reach the number 1 team status but certainly can reach the top 4-5 when their first XI plays, given some time.
    Last edited by Pratters; 13-10-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    My cousin brother made this point while I was discussing with him that for the first time in our cricket watching lives, we are seeing genuine talent come back to the West Indies in numbers.

Is it wrong to think that they may rise again? They may not reach the number 1 team status but certainly can reach the top 4-5 when their first XI plays, given some time.
    Too early to call, development of Roach, Bravo Jnr and thatg 18 yr old batsman who Lara really likes will decide where they are going guys like Lendell Simmons, Taylor, Dwayne Bravo are just the new Sherwan Cambell, Dillion and Ottis Gibson I feel.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yeah, have to agree. The Current lot, by virtue of having played at that level for as long as they have, will obviously show signs of improvement. I reckon two things will impact on how the WI go in Test cricket once Chanderpaul/Sarwan/Gayle give it away; the quality of the replacements and, probably a more important factor, the attitude towards Test cricket or whether they focus in on ODI/T20 instead. Things don't look very positive on either front from what I've seen.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 13-10-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Too early to call, development of Roach, Bravo Jnr and thatg 18 yr old batsman who Lara really likes will decide where they are going guys like Lendell Simmons, Taylor, Dwayne Bravo are just the new Sherwan Cambell, Dillion and Ottis Gibson I feel.
    Na man. Bravo for one doesn't need any more convincing since his performances vs AUS 05/06 he is quality all-rounder in all formats. So is Jermone Taylor as a fast-bowler.

Roach ATS definately looks wayyy better than Dillion when he first came on the scene in the late 90s as well.

From an outisder's POV, from what I've read or seen, the biggest problem with West Indian cricket seems to be lack of proper administration, and that has caused West India cricket to reach such lows.

West Indian cricket despite all of its problems has been able to produce good raw talent, but the attitude of WICB towards its players, and lack of any planning on their part has turned the rebuilding of the West Indian team into never ending process.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    From an outisder's POV, from what I've read or seen, the biggest problem with West Indian cricket seems to be lack of proper administration, and that has caused West India cricket to reach such lows.

West Indian cricket despite all of its problems has been able to produce good raw talent, but the attitude of WICB towards its players, and lack of any planning on their part has turned the rebuilding of the West Indian team into never ending process.
    You know quite a bit.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

U19 Vice-Captain
    Not gonna happen. Too much interest and money in basketball, track, football.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Isura View Post
    Not gonna happen. Too much interest and money in basketball, track, football.
    I think the basketball factor is overblown, but I agree that a lot of Jamaicans are going in for track and football, and a lot of Trinis are gravitating towards football too....

I don't think we'll see this group of youngsters achieving what Lloyd and Richards did in the 1980s-1990s, but I do expect this bunch to do better than what we've seen from the Windies over the past decade. I expect to see the occasional series like that won 1-0 at home to England recently, which is a vast improvement on what went before!

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Wasn't even aware basketball was big over there.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

U19 12th Man
    More chance of me representing England
    in both football and cricket.
    Viv Richards-One Day Cricket is like Fast Food no one wants to cook.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Wait a minute, what the?
    My cousin brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wait a minute, what the?
    Originally Posted by Pratters
    My cousin brother
    I wanted to ask the same thing but didn't want to be intrusive.

Also what is the basis of this belief they will rebound. Stats - participation levels going up - first hand observations of some of the talent coming through ??

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wait a minute, what the?

In India, if somebody is your first cousin it is common to call them your 'Cousin-Brother' or 'Cousin-Sister'. Often because families are very close knit and cousins are often regarded the same as your immediate brothers or sisters. It's a cultural thing.
    Last edited by masterblaster; 17-10-2009 at 01:01 AM.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Ah sweet as.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Wasn't even aware basketball was big over there.
    Exactly....

The NBA is broadcast on telly in teh Caribbean, and it has quite a following. Kids play it quite a bit, especially in the inner-cities, but hardly anyone takes it any further.

For example, how many West Indians play NBA basketball in the US?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information