• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Resurgence Of The West Indies?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
My cousin brother made this point while I was discussing with him that for the first time in our cricket watching lives, we are seeing genuine talent come back to the West Indies in numbers.

Is it wrong to think that they may rise again? They may not reach the number 1 team status but certainly can reach the top 4-5 when their first XI plays, given some time.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
My cousin brother made this point while I was discussing with him that for the first time in our cricket watching lives, we are seeing genuine talent come back to the West Indies in numbers.

Is it wrong to think that they may rise again? They may not reach the number 1 team status but certainly can reach the top 4-5 when their first XI plays, given some time.
Too early to call, development of Roach, Bravo Jnr and thatg 18 yr old batsman who Lara really likes will decide where they are going guys like Lendell Simmons, Taylor, Dwayne Bravo are just the new Sherwan Cambell, Dillion and Ottis Gibson I feel.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, have to agree. The Current lot, by virtue of having played at that level for as long as they have, will obviously show signs of improvement. I reckon two things will impact on how the WI go in Test cricket once Chanderpaul/Sarwan/Gayle give it away; the quality of the replacements and, probably a more important factor, the attitude towards Test cricket or whether they focus in on ODI/T20 instead. Things don't look very positive on either front from what I've seen.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Too early to call, development of Roach, Bravo Jnr and thatg 18 yr old batsman who Lara really likes will decide where they are going guys like Lendell Simmons, Taylor, Dwayne Bravo are just the new Sherwan Cambell, Dillion and Ottis Gibson I feel.
Na man. Bravo for one doesn't need any more convincing since his performances vs AUS 05/06 he is quality all-rounder in all formats. So is Jermone Taylor as a fast-bowler.

Roach ATS definately looks wayyy better than Dillion when he first came on the scene in the late 90s as well.

pup11

International Coach

From an outisder's POV, from what I've read or seen, the biggest problem with West Indian cricket seems to be lack of proper administration, and that has caused West India cricket to reach such lows.

West Indian cricket despite all of its problems has been able to produce good raw talent, but the attitude of WICB towards its players, and lack of any planning on their part has turned the rebuilding of the West Indian team into never ending process.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
From an outisder's POV, from what I've read or seen, the biggest problem with West Indian cricket seems to be lack of proper administration, and that has caused West India cricket to reach such lows.

West Indian cricket despite all of its problems has been able to produce good raw talent, but the attitude of WICB towards its players, and lack of any planning on their part has turned the rebuilding of the West Indian team into never ending process.
You know quite a bit.

shivfan

Banned
Not gonna happen. Too much interest and money in basketball, track, football.
I think the basketball factor is overblown, but I agree that a lot of Jamaicans are going in for track and football, and a lot of Trinis are gravitating towards football too....

I don't think we'll see this group of youngsters achieving what Lloyd and Richards did in the 1980s-1990s, but I do expect this bunch to do better than what we've seen from the Windies over the past decade. I expect to see the occasional series like that won 1-0 at home to England recently, which is a vast improvement on what went before!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Wait a minute, what the?
Originally Posted by Pratters
My cousin brother
:huh:
I wanted to ask the same thing but didn't want to be intrusive.

Also what is the basis of this belief they will rebound. Stats - participation levels going up - first hand observations of some of the talent coming through ??

masterblaster

International Captain
Wait a minute, what the?

In India, if somebody is your first cousin it is common to call them your 'Cousin-Brother' or 'Cousin-Sister'. Often because families are very close knit and cousins are often regarded the same as your immediate brothers or sisters. It's a cultural thing.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
Wasn't even aware basketball was big over there.
Exactly....

The NBA is broadcast on telly in teh Caribbean, and it has quite a following. Kids play it quite a bit, especially in the inner-cities, but hardly anyone takes it any further.

For example, how many West Indians play NBA basketball in the US?

kingkallis

International Coach
Na man. Bravo for one doesn't need any more convincing since his performances vs AUS 05/06 he is quality all-rounder in all formats. So is Jermone Taylor as a fast-bowler.

Roach ATS definately looks wayyy better than Dillion when he first came on the scene in the late 90s as well.
I agree about Bravo - he is a class act

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wait a minute, what the?
My cousin brother
I wanted to ask the same thing but didn't want to be intrusive.
Ditto.
In India, if somebody is your first cousin it is common to call them your 'Cousin-Brother' or 'Cousin-Sister'. Often because families are very close knit and cousins are often regarded the same as your immediate brothers or sisters. It's a cultural thing.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe the ideas of a 'resurgence', per se are overblown, but I think that they can string some solid performances together, in the long term. West Indies have some interesting raw talents; Roach and Pollard, the two most dynamic. However, I do feel that, in order to have some real success, they need to embrace the fact that their strength lies in spin bowling, especially in OD and T20 cricket, where they have some prolific domestic spin bowlers. I also think that they must be ready to embrace poor runs of form in the short term, whilst working towards a young team base for the future. The state of West Indies cricket (poor administration, etc) is that domestic cricket and academies can only take you so far and international cricket needs to be used to blood talent. Therefore, you will experience losses while players are finding their feet but through shrewd selection, this can be turned to success in a few years time, for a good period of time.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why does the fact that domestic cricket is inter-island rather than on one main piece of land mean it has to be weak? :huh:

The administrative problems do indeed offer a huge handicap, but even that isn't by any stretch of the imagination insoluble. You do get companies who've been bad for years who suddenly gain a good-quality set of executives who turn it around, and hopefully at some point this will happen to the WICB.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Er, it's not a culture thing, just a language thing. One of many Indian-isms (don't ask, I don't remember any more right now).