• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Resurgence Of The West Indies?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This would make them, if anything, even better for batting.

As it stands, reckon at least half of OZ pitches would be just as slow as any overseas.
Better for scoring runs. Less likely to result in bore draws. When you get an edge, it carries.

Even the slowest ones like Adelaide are a good bit quicker than the clay pieces of **** served up in Pakistan and India, I reckon.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Richardson, Rampaul and Tonge are still comfortably better than Roach. Well the first two more so. At this stage, they'd do better than Roach. In a year or two though he'll be right up there. He was pretty much mediocre in the Champions Trophy and the only real threat he posed to Bangladesh was pace.
Simply not true. If I remember correctly you did not watch that much of the series in protest at the WICB?

Well I (unfortunately) watched nearly every ball and Roach was moving the old ball both ways at pace. Most of his wickets were caught behind or at slip as a result of outswingers.

I can see why you think Richardson or Tonge should be higher in the pecking order as they have been so much more successful in FC cricket. I have seen Richardson and Tonge live on a number of occasions and they simply don't have the attributes that Roach has.

Having said that I would take one of Tonge or Richardson on tour as well as Roach (likely to be Tonge given the contracts handed out) and make a decision on who starts based on the warm up matches, form fitness etc...

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I watched a fair bit of it. Not as much as you admittedly. From what I did see though most of it was stuff bette rbatsmen could handle. He did bowl some good stuff though mind. Unless Richardson, Rampaul and Tonge stink up the ODIs and Roach is brilliant I'd have them over him.

And yeah Rampaul can be a bit cold sometimes. Doesn't happen often though. Watched him live against India and he was going great guns against them. Simply awesome stuff. Taylor was good that day as well with Gayle and Morton firing. but yeah, Rampaul at the least is better than him.

Possibly I'm also going for Richardson as he was supposed to have had his chance a couple years ago but injuries set him back. He worked on it, got fit again and somehow managed to take quite a few wickets considering what the spinners were doing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Better for scoring runs. Less likely to result in bore draws. When you get an edge, it carries.

Even the slowest ones like Adelaide are a good bit quicker than the clay pieces of **** served up in Pakistan and India, I reckon.
Pakistan maybe.. But in India, on those same pitches, Aussies lost twice... So I don't think our pitches are any worse than the ones we get in Australia at all...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan maybe.. But in India, on those same pitches, Aussies lost twice... So I don't think our pitches are any worse than the ones we get in Australia at all...
No such thing as a flat pitch when Mishy's playing :wub:

Seriously though, they were all pretty dead pitches. India just bowled exceptionally well, particularly in the second test. The fourth test was always going to be a result regardless because Australia had to chase the game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No such thing as a flat pitch when Mishy's playing :wub:

Seriously though, they were all pretty dead pitches. India just bowled exceptionally well, particularly in the second test. The fourth test was always going to be a result regardless because Australia had to chase the game.
Perhaps.. But I felt Mohali offered enough for good swing and reverse swing bowlers.. So those kinda pitches I am fine with.. The chennai track against RSA on the other hand.........

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Indian pitches are generally less dead than those in Pakistan. We see more exciting tests. That's what I have seen.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Indian pitches are generally less dead than those in Pakistan.
True, but bizarre seeing how many low scoring contests are present in Pakistani domestic cricket compared to Indian domestic cricket which has a scarcer number of low scoring contests (though these can be extremely low scoring).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The Indian points structure in domestic cricket supports players playing for the first inning lead. No one goes for the win really. That would explain it from the Indian side. Not sure why Pakistani domestic games are low scoring. I would imagine that is because of more flashier batsmen at domestic level with poor techniques. Many batsmen from Pakistan have serious technical flaws even when they come into the national side. Just a wild guess.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
The Indian points structure in domestic cricket supports players playing for the first inning lead. No one goes for the win really. That would explain it from the Indian side. Not sure why Pakistani domestic games are low scoring. I would imagine that is because of more flashier batsmen at domestic level with poor techniques. Many batsmen from Pakistan have serious technical flaws even when they come into the national side. Just a wild guess.
This was a policy adopted by PCB 4-5 years back to make batsman more equipped to play outside Asia. It has kinda backfired on them as batsmen's techniques have remained the same while it has allowed many medocre bowlers to look world beaters on those pitches, hence you see the emergance of poor seamers like Mohd Khalil and Samiullah Niazi.

tooextracool

International Coach
Err not really. Dont think a team with a bowling attack of Roach, Benn, Rampaul and Sammy counts as a resurgence. I only hold out hope for Roach out of that entire attack.

tooextracool

International Coach
Dont rate Taylor very highly, hes more of a honest bowler than he is a match winner. Granted hes still young and has some time left, that attack is more or less decent without really sending too many shivers down people's panic bones.

I think this thread is too early to bump, WI just got thrashed in England and were hammered in the first test. They struggled to bowl Australia out for under 450 in the first innings and the bowling attack that you rate highly has never even played a game together, so this resurgence is more hypothetical than being based on fact.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's a decent attack which should only get better with age.

Their batting looks fairly settled as well, the next 10 years for the West Indies should hopefully see them being far more competitive than the last 10 years has seen them.