• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Resurgence Of The West Indies?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In India, if somebody is your first cousin it is common to call them your 'Cousin-Brother' or 'Cousin-Sister'. Often because families are very close knit and cousins are often regarded the same as your immediate brothers or sisters. It's a cultural thing.
Sounds a bit odd. Cousins share a Grandparent and brothers share a parent. A Cousin-Brother sounds like your mother has been impregnated by your grandfather who could also be your mother's father and he's therefore had a child by his own daughter.

shivfan

Banned
Yeah, I believe that more than one spinner needs to be taken on board by the WI selectors....

Roach should be included in the Test team, but for the moment, I think Pollard should be recalled to the ODI side only - assuming he continues to make runs for Trinidad in the domestic one-day competition next month.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I believe that more than one spinner needs to be taken on board by the WI selectors....
And hopefully somebody other than Benn.

Roach should be included in the Test team,
Do you think he'd warrent a place in post-strike West Indies, though? Taylor and Edwards are straight in, Bravo is a third pace bowler and so there is room for two spin bowlers. I do think Roach could be a handful in a five man attack if used in short bursts, which he can recover fully from imbetween, but I do not think he could squeeze his way in until the two spinner strategy with top domestic performers has been tried and has failed.

but for the moment, I think Pollard should be recalled to the ODI side only - assuming he continues to make runs for Trinidad in the domestic one-day competition next month.
Yes. I hope he geta a prolonged run in the side and finds his form during in that run. Even consistency akin to Shahid Afridi (25 average, 100+ strike rate) would be useful for the West Indies, especially if his bowling can be refined too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Er, it's not a culture thing, just a language thing. One of many Indian-isms (don't ask, I don't remember any more right now).
Flim instead of film? Hear that one a bit.

Maybe that's just an anglo-Indian thing though.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Theproblem with inter-island domestic cricket is the cost of airfare. Which is why the OD tournaments have all been held in one country. Only the main ones though as the smaller ones only have one or two appropriate grounds.

shivfan

Banned
To be honest, I don't see the WI selectors playing more than one spinner in a Test match for now, especially on a tour of Australia, so in that case I do see Roach playing, ahead of Baker and Powell....

I think it will be between Roach and Rampaul for the third seamer's spot, with Bravo being fourth seamer.

Maybe the WI should call up Usain Bolt to open the bowling!
:cool:
Bolt blasts and bowls Gayle in return to his roots - Yahoo! Sports

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Baker should be kept far away from the WI team - what garbage. His selection looks even worse when you think that Tonge was around.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Baker should be kept far away from the WI team - what garbage. His selection looks even worse when you think that Tonge was around.
And Powell. Powell most certainly > Baker. Powell is actually a pretty handy ODI bowler on his day, which isn't actually all that rare.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
And Powell. Powell most certainly > Baker. Powell is actually a pretty handy ODI bowler on his day, which isn't actually all that rare.
I'd keep Powell away too, he had his chance he is crap now. They got a solid 5 in Taylor/Edwards/Rampaul/Roach & Tongue.

AUS are lucky Perth is a road these days since the test match vs WI coming up could have been lethal.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd keep Powell away too, he had his chance he is crap now. They got a solid 5 in Taylor/Edwards/Rampaul/Roach & Tongue.
He's not too bad a ODI bowler, imo; of course, he should not be picked for Tests for a while.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The fact that Powell was replaced by Baker shows that West Indies' reserves honestly are diabolically bare. Powell, all the time he was being picked, was not a bad pick - he honestly was the best there was.

Can merely hope that the likes of this Tongue and co. represent a better era beginning. Remember, in the early-1970s West Indies were reduced to picking the likes of Grayson Shillingford, Uton Dowe and the like. Sometimes the well of talent just goes bare for a while.

Howsie

International Captain
Well there does seem to be some very good fast bowling prospects coming through right now. Aside from Edwards and Taylor who have Roach, Tonge, McClean, and Pascal, three of which are pretty quick.

There's also another bowler who's name has escaped me that played against England in one of the warm-up games when England toured earlier this year, he's 6'8 from memory and bowls at a very good pace.

Woodster

International Captain
I have said before that I think when and if West Indies manage to get a consistent period where they can continually field their strongest side, I expect them to certainly improve on their results. There is around half a dozen players that form the backbone of the side, ie Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Bravo, Taylor and Edwards, and then throw in one or two exciting prospects, Roach certainly being one, and in the ODI side it would be nice to see Kieron Pollard display the kind of thunderous hitting he showed in the T20 Champs Lge. Add in a few more players that are continuing their development but have already shown potential, in Ramdin, Nash, and you have a competitive side.

There seems a little indecision in who Gayle's opener should be and there may also be another spot available in the top 6 depending on the make up of the side, and another bowling option. It's not a perfect side but there are promising signs for WI, if politics will ever allow!

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
There's also another bowler who's name has escaped me that played against England in one of the warm-up games when England toured earlier this year, he's 6'8 from memory and bowls at a very good pace.
Jason Holder from Barbados. 6 feet 7 inches tall, 17 years old and bowls at a brisk pace. He can bat very well as well.

shivfan

Banned
Given that Nash used to open the batting for Queensland, could he be considered as an opneing partner for Gayle?

Woodster

International Captain
Given that Nash used to open the batting for Queensland, could he be considered as an opneing partner for Gayle?
Am not sure of Nash's overall batting performances when opening the innings, but it is not a bad idea actually. His style may compliment Gayle well, it just depends whether they are keen on keeping him in that middle order offering a degree of consolidation there.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
None of this makeshift opener rubbish please, Barath has earned an opportunity with better domestic performances than any of the other openers. Nash stays at 6 where he has been an excellent stabling influence so far. To me our best team is pretty simple:

Gayle (c)
Barath
Sarwan
Bravo
Chanderpaul
Nash
Ramdin (vc, wk)
Taylor
Miller
Roach
Edwards

Last edited: