• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Resurgence Of The West Indies?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It's good to see that the Windies atleast now seem to have players competing for spots in the team rather than simply filling vacancies

Matt79

Global Moderator
Their batting was much better, given the minimal contribution from Chanderpaul than I ever expected it to be. Barath is exciting, but in Dowlin, Deonarine and Nash they've got some back up for their A-posters as well.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Without Chanderpaul and Sarwan contributing they've managed to put up a fight and Roach is certainly one of their greatest emerging talents.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It's good to see that the Windies atleast now seem to have players competing for spots in the team rather than simply filling vacancies
Indeed, when fully fit, pretty much every spot in the team, with the exception of the all rounder spot (Dwayne Bravo's), will be under pressure from players outside of the team, which is a good situation to be in, provided that your selectors are shrewd, without being reckless.

shivfan

Banned
Exactly....

This could be the next team for the Test series against South Africa:

1) Gayle
2) Barath
3) Sarwan
4) Chanderpaul
5) Nash
6) Dowlin/Deonarine
7) Bravo
8) Ramdin
9) Benn
10) Taylor/Roach
11( Edwards

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Seems like your a bowler short honestly with that lineup..I think Roach has too play as well. Not to say that there's not enough bowlers putting their hands up now, but you only have two front line bowlers with that set up

But yeah, that looks like a reasonably strong team if everybody can get themselves fit. Would be awesome to see the Windies challenge or even beat SA at home

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Agree. If the test series is in South Africa, I'd leave out Benn and go the pace quartet, with Gayle and/or Deonarine to tweak if required. Maybe Deonarine instead of Benn a la:

Gayle
Barath
Sarwen
Chanderpaul
Nash
Deonarine
Bravo
Ramdin
Taylor
Roach
Edwards

Last edited:

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Depends on where the tests will be played in the West Indies. Wish them the best of luck but i still thinks its ridiculous that they have to play 6 months to play another test (same for India's test schedule). We just need to continue on our 1st class system as well as cricket academies to fine tune our product and WI could be a force again in world cricket.

shivfan

Banned
TBH, Benn is not my favourite spinner in the region - there are others I would prefer to see in the team. However, we can't argue with Benn's returns. He was the second highest Windies wicket-taker in the tour, behind Bravo, so he deserves a place in the side.

The problem I'm wrestling with is this - both Bravo and Ramdin are not consistent enough to bat at six and seven in the WI team. Having them in those slots does weaken the middle order significantly....

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The problem I'm wrestling with is this - both Bravo and Ramdin are not consistent enough to bat at six and seven in the WI team. Having them in those slots does weaken the middle order significantly....
At least you have this problem now! IMO, I'd definitely go with the pace quartet on anything but a dust bowl. I think Benn is one cool guy, but should only play on spin conducive wickets

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
How do you windies feel about Andre Fletcher's potential of becoming a test match keeper/bat @ # 7?

shivfan

Banned
How do you windies feel about Andre Fletcher's potential of becoming a test match keeper/bat @ # 7?
Personally, I don't think his keeping is good enough to keep wicket at Test level....

The WIndwards used him for half of the domestic four-day season this year, but I understand his keeping was below-par.

Do we go for the best gloveman in the region, who is most likely Ramdin, and hope his batting improves, or do we go for a batsman who's a mediocre keeper? It's that age-old problem....

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ramdin needs to be part of the West Indies team, brings a lot to the team and his batting has improved a fair amount.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Ramdin clearly. Adds so much to the team in terms of tactics and strategy as well as his keeping

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Personally, I don't think his keeping is good enough to keep wicket at Test level....

The WIndwards used him for half of the domestic four-day season this year, but I understand his keeping was below-par.

Do we go for the best gloveman in the region, who is most likely Ramdin, and hope his batting improves, or do we go for a batsman who's a mediocre keeper? It's that age-old problem....
Fair enough. Why is asked is i think Windies having Ramdiin @ 7 remains too high, its almost like when England had Jack Russell @ 7. You always felt like the tail started a bit too early..

shivfan

Banned
Fair enough. Why is asked is i think Windies having Ramdiin @ 7 remains too high, its almost like when England had Jack Russell @ 7. You always felt like the tail started a bit too early..
Yes, I agree with yours, and the above posts....

I would prefer to see Ramdin bat at eight, and Bravo at seven, because both of them don't produce enough at six and seven to merit those positions, IMHO.