• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan resigns to protest match-fixing accusations

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some sort of turmoil in Pakistan due to match-fixing.

Big news!

Seriously this is a small-scale scandal by recent standards.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It'll be interesting to see who takes over the Test captaincy. I think Misbah is VC but his place isn't really secure at the moment so I somehow doubt it'll be him. Afridi's Twenty20 captain but he isn't in the Test frame at all at the moment so you'd imagine he'd be even more unliekly.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It looked a lot less fishy by the time the Aussies finished batting, because they nearly completely ****ed up the chase. It looked like Pakistan could have set a higher target if they'd wanted to, however.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, but they've had captains resign in protest at all sorts of other things, and in disgust\sulk at all sorts of other things. It's really not a massive deal, for mine.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So ridiculous yet so predictable. Feel so sorry for YK and his team. They exceeded the expectations and still.

Fusion

Global Moderator
First, the match fixing allegations are ridiculous. Not only have Australian players disputed the allegations, but the ICC has dismissed it as well. The whole thing got started with some tabloid journalism style reporting in India and Pakistan. It then picked up steam because of the outrageous comments from the Sports minister in Pakistan’s National Assembly. I wish there were strong libel statues in Pakistan so that idiot could be sued. He had no proof whatsoever about the allegations, just the tabloid reports. It is disgusting that he represents the people of Pakistan.

Having said all that, I’m a little tired of Younis’ act as well. If you are going be the captain of Pakistan, you have to have a thick skin. He has to realize that one win makes you a saint, and one loss makes you the devil in Pakistan. That’s just the way it is. For him to quit every time something controversial happens, however justified his anger and hurt feelings, is ridiculous. His resignation has not been officially accepted. I would guess that he will remain captain. I will also venture a guess that sometime in the near future another loss will stir up some ridiculous allegations, and we’ll be going through this all over again.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First, the match fixing allegations are ridiculous. Not only have Australian players disputed the allegations, but the ICC has dismissed it as well. The whole thing got started with some tabloid journalism style reporting in India and Pakistan. It then picked up steam because of the outrageous comments from the Sports minister in Pakistan’s National Assembly. I wish there were strong libel statues in Pakistan so that idiot could be sued. He had no proof whatsoever about the allegations, just the tabloid reports. It is disgusting that he represents the people of Pakistan.

Having said all that, I’m a little tired of Younis’ act as well. If you are going be the captain of Pakistan, you have to have a thick skin. He has to realize that one win makes you a saint, and one loss makes you the devil in Pakistan. That’s just the way it is. For him to quit every time something controversial happens, however justified his anger and hurt feelings, is ridiculous. His resignation has not been officially accepted. I would guess that he will remain captain. I will also venture a guess that sometime in the near future another loss will stir up some ridiculous allegations, and we’ll be going through this all over again.
If he doesn't like it, he can quit. And he's quitting. Sounds fair to me.

I don't believe that Younis ever wanted the captaincy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, neither do I TBH. I don't think there are very many who do want the Pakistan captaincy.

In my view most people would have to be a) out of their senses or b) a big-headed pratt like Javed Miandad or Shahid Afridi to genuinely want the captaincy of Pakistan. Those who've made a success of it - Imran and Inzamam - are in such a tiny minority. For most it's the very epitome of poisoned chalice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The way he bats (playing as stupidly as he does near enough every innings can only to some extent be put down to instinctive impetuosity - it's pretty obvious in most of his knocks that he's not really that bothered about whether he contributes or not), and the several allegations about him attempting to undermine the authority of previous captains in order to gain himself a shot at it.

Fusion

Global Moderator
If he doesn't like it, he can quit. And he's quitting. Sounds fair to me.

I don't believe that Younis ever wanted the captaincy.
If he didn’t want to be captain, then why accept the job in the first place? If it was because of a believe that he would not be interfered with or criticized without cause, then what in Pakistan’s history led him to believe that? Again, I totally get his anger and frustration. It is justified. However, I want him to be a fighter. Quitting the post won’t accomplish anything. Fight the douche bags who level unwarranted criticism at you. Don’t just give up. Besides, there’s criticism at every high level position and country. Though it’s not the absurd kind like in Pakistan, Ponting deals with harsh critics all the time. I don’t see him folding.