• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan resigns to protest match-fixing accusations

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am sorry but Cricket Players do not demand the rock star status and just because fans go overboard with their praise doesn't mean that cricketers need to accept whatever is thrown at them and at their families. If fans idolize cricketers then that is not the fault of cricketers. And just because they are idolized by fans hence they are expected to take **** in a dignified manner is a very unreasonable expectation from cricketers.
It is a given that if you are going to be a cricketer, you will have to face certain bad along with the good. If some one thinks that he wont be facing them, he shouldn't aim to be a cricketer. It is the same as a girl wanting to be a film actress expecting that her head will never be attached to a nude photo on the internet by photo shopping it or the media will not create rumours about affairs about her.

Viv Richards being accused by a former Pak cricketer and YK being accused by a lawmaker from his country in the senate are not the same thing. Random accusation on Viv 20 years after retirement coming out of Timbuktu doesn't affect him in the slightest possible way otoh making the match fixing accusation in the parliament and using the dropped catch as the evidence is can affect YK and his family immensely.
Match fixing allegations from a former player you have played against can effect you and your family too. It did not in this case in all likelihood as Richards did not take any action as the player didn't have a good reputation. Imrank Khan fought a legal battle when English players he had played against him accused him. Younis Khan also has the right to take legal action. To resign from the captaincy just because of allegations against you isn't the right way to go about things.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
yonus khan sounds to emotional to be a captain... in the past hes been offered it and declined hasn't he resigned once before...

I feel the Pakistan media prefer to go along with the idea that their team decides when to win and when to lose, ie match fixing.. they try and take away the win of NZ in this case as hollow by using this method.
The report first surfaced from the Indian media and then the equally woeful Pakistani media just carried the ball. Independent media in both Pakistan and India is still in early stages so you can expect these sorts of rubbish allegations every now and then.

My take on this YK needs to stop overreacting and look at the bigger picture while Jamshed Dusty has shown that he has no knowledge or idea about the game of cricket at all....and hence his role as Chairman of the committee for sport is wholly and entirely innapropriate. He should be sacked immediately.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It is a given that if you are going to be a cricketer, you will have to face certain bad along with the good. If some one thinks that he wont be facing them, he shouldn't aim to be a cricketer. It is the same as a girl wanting to be a film actress expecting that her head will never be attached to a nude photo on the internet by photo shopping it or the media will not create rumours about affairs about her.

Match fixing allegations from a former player you have played against can effect you and your family too. It did not in this case in all likelihood as Richards did not take any action as the player didn't have a good reputation. Imrank Khan fought a legal battle when English players he had played against him accused him. Younis Khan also has the right to take legal action. To resign from the captaincy just because of allegations against you isn't the right way to go about things.
Yeah whatever. This is so outrageous line of thinking that If I started to argue my head will explode. So for my own sake, I will just stop right here.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Murali did tour Australia recently. And it was not just people shouting against him, John Howard called him a chucker. So it was fair enough back then that he didn't go to Australia.
You've just made my point for me though.

Politician accuses player from another country of chucking, he's right not to tour.
Politician accuses his own national captain of match fixing, he's wrong not to captain.

I think I'm missing something here. Both well within their rights imo.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Culturally speaking, how would it look if Younis Khan walked into the parliament, dropped his trousers, and mooned the senator, and then walked out? Faced with ludicrous allegations, the response must be equally so.

The fact is that it's the political body in Pakistan that he has to fight against, and so he can't simply ignore it like Viv did, I feel really sorry for the man. He should not be expected to put up with all that crap, and absolutely should resign.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Not only have Australian players disputed the allegations
Firstly lets discount what the Australian players and the Indian media have to say about this as they are both involved parties.

The Australian players would like to believe that the match they won was because they played well and not because the Pak players were not giving a 100% effort.

The Indian media should not be believed as they are a bunch of morons.

but the ICC has dismissed it as well.
hmmm...........this sounds interesting..........on what basis have the ICC dismissed the accusations? Did they conduct an enquiry or do they just don't feel like opening a can a worms.

I personally do not have an opinion either ways, just trying to be the agent provocoteur to incite a discussion on whether it looked like the Pak players were a bit casual.

Also I believe that teams should give 100% even if its a dead rubber.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You've just made my point for me though.

Politician accuses player from another country of chucking, he's right not to tour.
Politician accuses his own national captain of match fixing, he's wrong not to captain.

I think I'm missing something here. Both well within their rights imo.
John Howard wasn't just any politician. He was the Prime Minister of Australia. It is understandable not to tour after such a statement.

To resign after it has been adjudged by the tribunal judging on the matter that he is innocent is ludicrous.

If John Howard were to retract his statement, the crowds were to promise they won't shout no ball and Murali still decided not to tour, that would understandably be a bit of a dubious call from Murali.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Firstly lets discount what the Australian players and the Indian media have to say about this as they are both involved parties.

The Australian players would like to believe that the match they won was because they played well and not because the Pak players were not giving a 100% effort.

The Indian media should not be believed as they are a bunch of morons.

hmmm...........this sounds interesting..........on what basis have the ICC dismissed the accusations? Did they conduct an enquiry or do they just don't feel like opening a can a worms.

I personally do not have an opinion either ways, just trying to be the agent provocoteur to incite a discussion on whether it looked like the Pak players were a bit casual.

Pakistan is a sort of team that usually go full out when their backs are to the wall so having already qualified knowing their nature one can expect that they were not going full tilt. During the first half of Aus game it did seem dodgy but the way they fought back shows that there wa no shady stuff going on just that there intensity levels were not 100% throughout due to the safety cushion they had.

Top_Cat

John Howard wasn't just any politician. He was the Prime Minister of Australia. It is understandable not to tour after such a statement.

To resign after it has been adjudged by the tribunal judging on the matter that he is innocent is ludicrous.

If John Howard were to retract his statement, the crowds were to promise they won't shout no ball and Murali still decided not to tour, that would understandably be a bit of a dubious call from Murali.
They're barely analogous, though. Being found guilty of chucking will get you remedial work and a few matches off and if you keep doing it, perhaps you'll be quietly ousted from the game, although even the most blatant chuckers in the past few years have just kept up with the remedial work cycle until they've gotten injured enough so they can be quietly excised from their team. That's why, in the overall scheme of things, Howard accusing Murali of throwing didn't really mean much. Howard could, in no serious way, affect Murali's cricketing future or otherwise by sticking his beak into the situation (what a douche he was).

Match fixing, however, is a far more serious allegation. It's generally criminal, in fact (fraud and all that). A high ranking government official, no matter how clueless, accusing you of it is a far bigger deal in terms of the effect on yoru future. Can't blame Younis for having enough of it and pulling the plug on his captaincy.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan is a sort of team that usually go full out when their backs are to the wall so having already qualified knowing their nature one can expect that they were not going full tilt.
This line of thinking is just insane and totally unfair.

During the first half of Aus game it did seem dodgy but the way they fought back shows that there wa no shady stuff going on just that there intensity levels were not 100% throughout due to the safety cushion they had.
So is it possible that the Aussies were playing good cricket in the first half ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
They're barely analogous, though. Being found guilty of chucking will get you remedial work and a few matches off and if you keep doing it, perhaps you'll be quietly ousted from the game, although even the most blatant chuckers in the past few years have just kept up with the remedial work cycle until they've gotten injured enough so they can be quietly excised from their team. That's why, in the overall scheme of things, Howard accusing Murali of throwing didn't really mean much. Howard could, in no serious way, affect Murali's cricketing future or otherwise by sticking his beak into the situation (what a douche he was).

Match fixing, however, is a far more serious allegation. It's generally criminal, in fact (fraud and all that). A high ranking government official, no matter how clueless, accusing you of it is a far bigger deal in terms of the effect on yoru future. Can't blame Younis for having enough of it and pulling the plug on his captaincy.
I am not the one who brought the analogy in, Burgey did and I agree that they are not analogous.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
In his article Stupidity of staggering proportions

Osman Samiuddin talks about "And now many will make the lazy assumption, pointing to Younis' previous with captaincy, his ethnicity, and tut-tut and say that he has done "a Younis", that he is emotional, temperamental and all that."

Younis is a Pathan..........what assumptions/assertions are being made about his ethnicity?...I mean Afridi is a Pathan too........but there is nothing common between these two in their temperaments.

Can some of the Pakistani members clarify this.

Fusion

Global Moderator
In his article Stupidity of staggering proportions

Osman Samiuddin talks about "And now many will make the lazy assumption, pointing to Younis' previous with captaincy, his ethnicity, and tut-tut and say that he has done "a Younis", that he is emotional, temperamental and all that."

Younis is a Pathan..........what assumptions/assertions are being made about his ethnicity?...I mean Afridi is a Pathan too........but there is nothing common between these two in their temperaments.

Can some of the Pakistani members clarify this.
I was a bit confused about that one as well. I think he means that Pathans have the cliché of being hot-tempered and emotional. However, I don’t see how that relates to Younis quitting. If anything, I would expect an emotional, easy to anger person to fight back.

Uppercut

on what basis have the ICC dismissed the accusations?
On the basis that there wasn't even the slightest bit of evidence to suggest that they were true. If they're going to conduct an investigation as a result of something like that newspaper article they might as well do one when I take a crap that spells out "Afridi cheated".

100%, mehhh. No one ever gives 100%. Some players try harder than others. Asif had a point to prove, so he gave more to the cause than Misbah, who I suspect was looking for time in the middle to feel his way back into form. It's all natural to me.

Last edited:

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
On the basis that there wasn't even the slightest bit of evidence to suggest that they were true.
Don't you have to examine evidence before you declare that there is no evidence??
You can't just summarily dismiss it.

If they're going to conduct an investigation as a result of something like that newspaper article they might as well do one when I take a crap that spells out "Afridi cheated"
Well in that case the ICC should have just ignored the accusation from a moronic source. You can't acknowledge the accusation and then dismiss it without an examination.

100%, mehhh. No one ever gives 100%. Some players try harder than others. Asif had a point to prove, so he gave more to the cause than Misbah, who I suspect was looking for time in the middle to feel his way back into form. It's all natural to me.
This is the difference between the mentality of a subcontinent team and an Australian team. The Aussies give no quarter and that is one trait of their game that I admire the most. They may rotate their players, but you can be assured that the guys in the centre are giving their 100%.

Uppercut

Well in that case the ICC should have just ignored the accusation from a moronic source. You can't acknowledge the accusation and then dismiss it without an examination.
But if it garnered enough media attention then they may not have wanted to be seen to be, uhm, sweeping it under the carpet, so to speak. It's essentially a "we are aware of these things, but we're choosing to ignore them" rather than a "lalala we're not listening".

Fusion

Global Moderator
Don't you have to examine evidence before you declare that there is no evidence??
You can't just summarily dismiss it.
That's the point though, there was no evidence. Just a newspaper article that created a ****storm.

But if it garnered enough media attention then they may not have wanted to be seen to be, uhm, sweeping it under the carpet, so to speak. It's essentially a "we are aware of these things, but we're choosing to ignore them" rather than a "lalala we're not listening".
That's exactly what happened. They didn't take the source of the allegations seriously, but had to put out a statement saying there was no foul play because of the attention it was creating. Besides, ICC as a matter of policy investigates all high profile games for wrondoing, whether there was any evidence to the contrary or not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Imrank Khan fought a legal battle when English players he had played against him accused him.
Other way around. Lamb and Botham unsuccessfully filed a claim for libel against Imran, who they said had accused them.

CricketGuy007

Cricket Spectator
Pakistan and match fixing? Never a dull moment in pakistani cricket! The can be heros one minute and then zero the next!

Why is it when pakistan lose people blame the players! And was it really khans fault? Pakistan should have scored alot more even tho they were lucky in the end to get 235 lol and i do think the umpires has a part to play in there loss?

WHat is your opinion! would be good to hear from a pakistani fan? and are pakistan better off without khan?