• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan resigns to protest match-fixing accusations

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he didn’t want to be captain, then why accept the job in the first place? If it was because of a believe that he would not be interfered with or criticized without cause, then what in Pakistan’s history led him to believe that? Again, I totally get his anger and frustration. It is justified. However, I want him to be a fighter. Quitting the post won’t accomplish anything. Fight the douche bags who level unwarranted criticism at you. Don’t just give up. Besides, there’s criticism at every high level position and country. Though it’s not the absurd kind like in Pakistan, Ponting deals with harsh critics all the time. I don’t see him folding.
What can Younis do to "fight"?

Resigning is his only weapon, really. He's a reluctant captain, but it's a job that needs to be done and he's the only man who can do it. Reminding the bull**** management of that is the most effective way of putting them in their place. There's a fair chance- as happened when Chris Gayle resigned around the same time last year- they'll back down, stfu, and let Younis get on with the job of captaincy. If not, well Younis never really wanted to be captain anyway. It's win-win from his point of view.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Besides, there’s criticism at every high level position and country. Though it’s not the absurd kind like in Pakistan, Ponting deals with harsh critics all the time. I don’t see him folding.
Match Fixing allegation after every loss is not criticism, it is an accusation of worst kind for a cricketer. Not only it affects their reputation professionally it also affects their personal lives and that of their families at every step.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
lulz YK in an attention seeking shocker.

He knows he's safe as a house Mo Yo does not want to captain,Afridi is not even in test match XV Malik was a failed experimers so what are the options Gul? Akmal? or Razzaq? I say just cut the chase and give it to Aamir:laugh:. Just heard him on Geo news he says if PCB wants him to continue they need to give him more powers its just another dummy captain whinge from him.

Fusion

Global Moderator
What can Younis do to "fight"?

Resigning is his only weapon, really. He's a reluctant captain, but it's a job that needs to be done and he's the only man who can do it. Reminding the bull**** management of that is the most effective way of putting them in their place. There's a fair chance- as happened when Chris Gayle resigned around the same time last year- they'll back down, stfu, and let Younis get on with the job of captaincy. If not, well Younis never really wanted to be captain anyway. It's win-win from his point of view.
Let’s examine this issue in particular. Younis could’ve fought back by challenging the sports minister to provide proof of his allegations or demand an apology. By the way, the sports minister has already started to back away from his comments. He’s now saying that he didn’t accuse the team of match fixing, but that he was merely attempting to explore a view that some held (what a complete **** that guy is!). Younis knew he had the sympathy and backing of most respected people on this issue. In fact, many have jumped to his and the team’s defense already. So instead of quitting in anger, he couldn’t used this issue to make a stand. He would’ve won in the court of public opinion.

Also, I still don’t get the “reluctant” captain idea. That’s just BS in my book. Either want the job, or don’t do it. Simple as that. If you recall, there was a captain sacked to make way for Younis. Whether that captain deserved to be sacked or not is irrelevant. If Younis didn’t want the job, he should’ve made it known so the board could’ve stuck with Malik for a while longer and groomed someone else, or simply offer the job to another player altogether.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Match Fixing allegation after every loss is not criticism, it is an accusation of worst kind for a cricketer. Not only it affects their reputation professionally it also affects their personal lives and that of their families at every step.
I agree that it is a serious allegation. In fact in my book, allegations of cheating are the highest insult anyone can throw against me. It is questioning one’s character. That’s serious stuff. However, those allegations are not going to go away if he quits as captain. Even as just another member of the playing XI, he will face the same morons who will scream “match fixing” after every loss. All he’s doing here is diverting the pressure away from himself slightly to someone else. Younis stated before the CT that he wanted to be remembered in the same mold as Imran Khan – a great captain and servant of Pakistan Cricket. Well, merely “wishing” that so is not going to make it happen. You have work hard and fight even harder to achieve that. Obviously he doesn’t have the talent and star-appeal of Imran, but nothing is preventing him from fighting like his idol.

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Having moved to Pakistan from Sri Lanka a few years ago I can tell you that allegations like these are common. Two knee jerk reactions after a major loss:

Abuse for the team and usually the captain: Basically the fans turn against the team and all sorts of abuse is hurled at the players. You see this in India too.

Match fixing allegations: Cynicism is rampant here so you get these match fixing allegations after every major loss. I have stopped trying to ascertain whether their is any truth in them. Its become much too common.

No wonder I prefer to support Sri Lanka.

Last edited:

Burgey

Burge in full agreement with Sanz shocker!

Spot on imo. If he feels he has to resign to make a stand here, then good on him.

Thought the investigation of the dropped catch was way out there tbh. Iirc Lee dropped an even easier catch at the inaugural World T20 and not a word was said.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thought the investigation of the dropped catch was way out there tbh. Iirc Lee dropped an even easier catch at the inaugural World T20 and not a word was said.
Oh yeah, there's absolutely no question that inbuilt prejudices lead innocent events to suspicion where Pakistanis are involved and not where those from pretty well anywhere else are.

I suppose there's an element of a crying-wolf about it but even so, it's ridiculous how much suspicion there is of match-fixing when Pakistanis are involved, under almost any circumstance, from inside the country and out.

Top_Cat

Also, I still don’t get the “reluctant” captain idea. That’s just BS in my book. Either want the job, or don’t do it. Simple as that. If you recall, there was a captain sacked to make way for Younis. Whether that captain deserved to be sacked or not is irrelevant. If Younis didn’t want the job, he should’ve made it known so the board could’ve stuck with Malik for a while longer and groomed someone else, or simply offer the job to another player altogether.
Come on, that's pretty simplistic. You've got no idea of the pressures he might have been under to accept the captaincy. "Save Pakistan cricket, Younis! You're the only one who can do it!", etc. So easy from the sidelines when it's not your career on the line.

Massive soft spot for team Pakistan generally, games between them and Aus I generally have to think real hard about who I'd prefer to win and they're easily my second favourite team. But it's interesting these allegations haven't just gone away as truly frivolous in the past have. Obviously, none of us really know the true story but, surely, either someone has a serious interest in making sure they stick and is making massive efforts to ensure it or there's something to them.

I really hope not. Love that Pakistan are on the way back.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Massive soft spot for team Pakistan generally, games between them and Aus I generally have to think real hard about who I'd prefer to win and they're easily my second favourite team. But it's interesting these allegations haven't just gone away as truly frivolous in the past have. Obviously, none of us really know the true story but, surely, either someone has a serious interest in making sure they stick and is making massive efforts to ensure it or there's something to them.
The allegations have turned out to be frivolous. They started with an article in an Indian newspaper with no proof whatsoever, got picked up by the equally disreputable Pakistani media, and reached the frenzied height with the sports minister mouthing off. Of course the article was dismissed the very next day by respected sources, including the ICC. And as I mentioned before, even the ****ing sports minister has since backed off his allegation.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Meh.

a) Younis Khan loves to be Pakistan captain. He talks trying to do deeds like Imran Khan for the younsgters. So there is no doubt in my mind that he definitely wants the captaincy. He wouldn't have accepted it in the first place if didn't want it.

b) If you keep resigning like this, you don't really deserve the captaincy.

Enough of this drama personally for me. Can't take it any more. Ideally, I would like Younis Khan never to be given captaincy again but that wont happen. I have a strong feeling they will go back to Younis Khan as captain now or in a few months.

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
yonus khan sounds to emotional to be a captain... in the past hes been offered it and declined hasn't he resigned once before...

I feel the Pakistan media prefer to go along with the idea that their team decides when to win and when to lose, ie match fixing.. they try and take away the win of NZ in this case as hollow by using this method.

Uppercut

Meh.

a) Younis Khan loves to be Pakistan captain. He talks trying to do deeds like Imran Khan for the younsgters. So there is no doubt in my mind that he definitely wants the captaincy. He wouldn't have accepted it in the first place if didn't want it.

b) If you keep resigning like this, you don't really deserve the captaincy.

Enough of this drama personally for me. Can't take it any more. Ideally, I would like Younis Khan never to be given captaincy again but that wont happen. I have a strong feeling they will go back to Younis Khan as captain now or in a few months.
I'm a big fan of Younis. There's so much **** in Pakistani cricket that he just refuses to take. Scoring a triple hundred then coming out after the match and blasting the curator for preparing such a ****ty, flat pitch endeared him to be so much. And I already really liked the guy.

Personally, I don't think standing there and fighting is the way to deal with irrational criticism and accusations. Younis is doing what I'd do- exactly what I do do when faced with irrational criticism, accusations or threats in life- saying "I don't have to take this", and walking away. Personally I really respect him for that.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I agree that it is a serious allegation. In fact in my book, allegations of cheating are the highest insult anyone can throw against me. It is questioning one’s character. That’s serious stuff. However, those allegations are not going to go away if he quits as captain. Even as just another member of the playing XI, he will face the same morons who will scream “match fixing” after every loss. All he’s doing here is diverting the pressure away from himself slightly to someone else. Younis stated before the CT that he wanted to be remembered in the same mold as Imran Khan – a great captain and servant of Pakistan Cricket. Well, merely “wishing” that so is not going to make it happen. You have work hard and fight even harder to achieve that. Obviously he doesn’t have the talent and star-appeal of Imran, but nothing is preventing him from fighting like his idol.
I dont understand why such comparisons are made or brought in the discussion ? IIRC Imran never had to face match fixing allegations especially from the law makers of his country and we do not know how Imran would have reacted to such a thing. YK is living in an era of Pakistan Cricket where every move of his as a captain is looked at with suspicion and even though I do not like his on again-off again approach to captaincy, this time I think he has made the right call. It seems that he is being criticized for his past Flip-flops on captaincy.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I'm a big fan of Younis. There's so much **** in Pakistani cricket that he just refuses to take. Scoring a triple hundred then coming out after the match and blasting the curator for preparing such a ****ty, flat pitch endeared him to be so much. And I already really liked the guy.

Personally, I don't think standing there and fighting is the way to deal with irrational criticism and accusations. Younis is doing what I'd do- exactly what I do do when faced with irrational criticism, accusations or threats in life- saying "I don't have to take this", and walking away. Personally I really respect him for that.
When you are a cricket player in the subcontinent, you have a rock star's status. People will idolize you and make you into a God and then the people will throw stones at your home and abuse you. The best you can do is to take the bad with the good with dignity. Inzamam was being called aloo meaning potato by a fan in a loudspeaker. He went on to attack that fan. Similarly, when you are standing at the boundary, often you will find people shouting praises to you or abusing you depending upon what they feel about you at the moment. I went to a domestic game and Narendra Hirwani had to cope with the worst abuses.

People are bound to make claims. Viv Richards was a match fixer if a former Pakistan cricketer is to be believed. Viv Richards doesn't go out of his way to even sue. Giving even attention to such things reduces your status and doesn't really improve it because your status is so high while the status of the person accusing you is so low. I am not saying you shouldn't sue. Sue if you will and fight for your name in the court of law but if you don't, at least ignore baseless and unsubstantiated claims, else you will reach no where.

Ganguly and even Tendulkar have had to face several criticisms but they don't retire just because people write them off. As in a democracy, just because the system is corrupt, if you choose not to vote, you are letting the corrupt win. You have to be a part of the system to change it, not run away from it.

Last edited:

Burgey

When you are a cricket player in the subcontinent, you have a rock star's status. People will idolize you and make you into a God and then the people will throw stones at your home and abuse you. The best you can do is to take the bad with the good with dignity. Inzamam was being called aloo meaning potato by a fan in a loudspeaker. He went on to attack that fan. Similarly, when you are standing at the boundary, often you will find people shouting praises to you or abusing you depending upon what they feel about you at the moment. I went to a domestic game and Narendra Hirwani had to cope with the worst abuses.

People are bound to make claims. Viv Richards was a match fixer if a former Pakistan cricketer is to be believed. Viv Richards doesn't go out of his way to even sue. Giving even attention to such things reduces your status and doesn't really improve it because your status is so high while the status of the person accusing you is so low. I am not saying you shouldn't sue. Sue if you will and fight for your name in the court of law but if you don't, at least ignore baseless and unsubstantiated claims, else you will reach no where.

Ganguly and even Tendulkar have had to face several criticisms but they don't retire just because people write them off. As in a democracy, just because the system is corrupt, if you choose not to vote, you are letting the corrupt win. You have to be a part of the system to change it, not run away from it.
By that rationale, Murali should have kept touring Australia then, despite having "no ball" yelled at him every time he bowled?

Nah, I don't buy it tbh. Everyone has a different threshold for these things. Looks like Younis has reached his when it comes to these allegations. Can't say I blame him tbh.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Murali did tour Australia recently. And it was not just people shouting against him, John Howard called him a chucker. So it was fair enough back then that he didn't go to Australia.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I am sorry but Cricket Players do not demand the rock star status and just because fans go overboard with their praise doesn't mean that cricketers need to accept whatever is thrown at them and at their families. If fans idolize cricketers then that is not the fault of cricketers. And just because they are idolized by fans hence they are expected to take **** in a dignified manner is a very unreasonable expectation from cricketers.

Viv Richards being accused by a former Pak cricketer and YK being accused by a lawmaker from his country in the senate are not the same thing. Random accusation on Viv 20 years after retirement coming out of Timbuktu doesn't affect him in the slightest possible way otoh making the match fixing accusation in the parliament and using the dropped catch as the evidence is can affect YK and his family immensely.

Meh...