• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ferguson out for 6-12 months

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geeeeeeeeez. That leaves Cossie as SA's only really gun bat, especially in FRC. Crap.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So unlucky. I really wanted Ferguson putting pressure on the Australian Test middle order bats.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:(

Gutted tbh, was starting to become an integral part of the ODI team. Wouldn't have been surprised to see him named for the Pakistan away series either if he had a strong summer.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Crikey, the Australian team has had a nightmare with injury the last 12 months. There seems to be hardly anyone who hasn't missed a chunk of time.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Personally would have bleated if he got anywhere near the Test team in the next twelve months TBH.
I think he's a lot closer to the Test team then you think, in fact I think he could possibly have been one or two injuries from you bleating like a goat.

He obviously needed to have a very good start to the summer, making more then 20 (9).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think he's a lot closer to the Test team then you think, in fact I think he could possibly have been one or two injuries from you bleating like a goat
Nah, I actually think he's quite close to the Test team (or at least was before his injury). I also think it's an absolute joke though and if my suspicions (and yours, evidently) came to the fore and he actually got a run in it, I'd have bleated like nothing else.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Given he's a member of the one day side and the selectors obviously see something in him if he had of been fit and scoring buckets of runs this summer then I think he would have been definitely in line to be in the squad.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Given he's a member of the one day side and the selectors obviously see something in him if he had of been fit and scoring buckets of runs this summer then I think he would have been definitely in line to be in the squad.
Don't think anyone is denying this tbh.

Flem274*

123/5
An Australian prospect hampered by injury?

YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.....

I mean...Oh no how terrible.

Nah in all seriousness, pretty unlucky. Seems a decent (but fustrating) propect for Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably good in the long-run. Think he's frankly a little fortunate to have got where he has the last 9 months or so, and though he deserves full credit for taking his chances this is a setback that might force people to row back where otherwise they would have given more undeserved chances. Have thought exactly what Cribb, Bowen et al suggest of late - a bit more and he might be in the Test team, which he frankly deserves to be nowhere near. If this means those who get a chance having deserved it more, well, good. Reminds me a bit of people saying James Foster was unlucky to be injured when he was because he might've been a fixture in the Test team from 2001/02 onwards had he not been. Well, no, he was incredibly fortunate to play in 2001/02 ITFP. As and when Ferguson's back he should now have to produce some serious results before he gets back in the picture.

Wonder if Symonds might get a last ODI chance as a result. Or has that been essentially ruled-out by now?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably good in the long-run. Think he's frankly a little fortunate to have got where he has the last 9 months or so, and though he deserves full credit for taking his chances this is a setback that might force people to row back where otherwise they would have given more undeserved chances. Have thought exactly what Cribb, Bowen et al suggest of late - a bit more and he might be in the Test team, which he frankly deserves to be nowhere near. If this means those who get a chance having deserved it more, well, good. Reminds me a bit of people saying James Foster was unlucky to be injured when he was because he might've been a fixture in the Test team from 2001/02 onwards had he not been. Well, no, he was incredibly fortunate to play in 2001/02 ITFP. As and when Ferguson's back he should now have to produce some serious results before he gets back in the picture.

Wonder if Symonds might get a last ODI chance as a result. Or has that been essentially ruled-out by now?
I can't really agree with this. I'd say he was pretty deserving of his ODI selection, he's only 24 and he was coming off a much improved one day domestic season, and he performed pretty much as soon as he came to the side. I agree that he's not deserving of a Test position, but it's definitely harsh to say he was given an 'undeserved chance' in the ODI team.

Symonds has no chance, AFAIC. Done and dusted. Massive pity, mind you.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can't really agree with this. I'd say he was pretty deserving of his ODI selection, he's only 24 and he was coming off a much improved one day domestic season, and he performed pretty much as soon as he came to the side. I agree that he's not deserving of a Test position, but it's definitely harsh to say he was given an 'undeserved chance' in the ODI team.
Didn't he only get what seemed like a pretty one-off-reward-for-short-term-excellence fill-in position for a couple of games and end-up doing so well that he got preferred to others (such as Symonds)?

I've never considered someone deserving of an international opening because they've had a whole 1 good season after years of being a letdown.