• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India - ODIs

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does Bolly's emergence from a bit-part player to a quality bowling option end Bracks career given the latter's poor bowling form recently and injury troubles?
I doubt it, and I'd hope not, cause I still think Bracken has a role to play in the Aussie team. Given the selectors' strange thing against picking too many left armers, it does probably mean that at least one of Johnson, Bollinger and Bracken will be missing out more often than not. And it almost certainly won't be Johnson.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I doubt it, and I'd hope not, cause I still think Bracken has a role to play in the Aussie team. Given the selectors' strange thing against picking too many left armers, it does probably mean that at least one of Johnson, Bollinger and Bracken will be missing out more often than not. And it almost certainly won't be Johnson.
Which is unfortunate. Why they never have a problem with too many right armers I'll never know.

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
And even then, you could probably present a reasonable argument that Australia's best left-arm fast bowler hasn't even had a bowl for them at international level.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Just realized looking back AUS haven't lost a ODI series in India in my lifetime. The last time they lost was some tri-nation ODI series involving IND & SA. Wins before include:

- Tri series win in 98
- 3-2 win in 2001
- TVS Cup tri-series win 2003
- Champions Trophy 2006
- 4-2 win 2007

Stark comparison to the test record in the great sub continent indeed.

ret

International Debutant
Nice performance by the OZ, deserving winners!

As for India, they have only themselves to blame for the loss. If they had held on to their nerves better, they could have very well won this series. Against lesser teams, Ind would probably have squeezed through but against Australia, you have to be equally tough mentally. You can't afford to choke against them and they don't beat themselves

Moving forward, Ind still has a room for a lot of improvement and they should take this as an opportunity to discover chinks in their armor and try to come up with solutions before the 2011 WC

There is a need to find a suitable #4. Yuvi is doing a decent job but imo he is more suitable for #5 or #6 position, along with Dhoni. We need someone like Sangakara, KP or Hussey at #4. Also there is a need to find a quality bowling all-rounder at #7. Someone who can not only bat well but also be good enough to be in the side as one of the top 3-4 bowlers. These are tough to find as quality players don't come up that often in Indian cricket but that's what Ind has to do. And we will never find one, if we don't start looking. Add to that a need to revamp the bowling with better wicket taking bowlers

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
4 close games out of 6

I wonder if the results in the close ones won by Australia would've been reversed had India fielded to the standard of Australia?

IMO, they give away 10-15 runs per game
That is what won Australia the series IMO.. And I think THAT would have been the difference even if the Aussies had been in full strength. India's batting can always make a match against any attack in the world but the fielding is where we have gone wrong.

I wonder if we can try to pick a squad of 15 solid to good fielders and then try and pick a XI out of that... While we may miss out on blokes like Nehra and Munaf, with good fielders in, even the lesser bowlers might come out better. And the batting still remains good.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah.. Aussies seem to lose all tri nations stuff in INdia but never a bilateral series, which is amazing to say the least.

Congrats Aussies... This triumph is a triumph of the character of the blokes who played as much as anything.. They showed better nerves to handle the tighter situations and also a better heart for a fight than some of the INdians.. And of course, the fielding...... Congrats to them again!!!

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I still can't believe Dhoni elected to bat in a game which started at 8:30 in the morning........now a days top teams are quite evenly matched...they have to exploit the conditions to get an upper hand. Even though Australia vs. India....India is a better team on paper...but Aussies talent is not just limited to bowling batting or fielding, they know how to use the conditions better then any other team....

There is no reasoning for Dhoni to bat 1st when you know that its an early start and in an ODI game 1st 45mins might be the whole difference between 2 teams. He gambled and lost it big time.....

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I still can't believe Dhoni elected to bat in a game which started at 8:30 in the morning........now a days top teams are quite evenly matched...they have to exploit the conditions to get an upper hand. Even though Australia vs. India....India is a better team on paper...but Aussies talent is not just limited to bowling batting or fielding, they know how to use the conditions better then any other team....

There is no reasoning for Dhoni to bat 1st when you know that its an early start and in an ODI game 1st 45mins might be the whole difference between 2 teams. He gambled and lost it big time.....
It wasn't really an early start. Guwahati is in the east of the country, and since India has only one time zone, an 8:30 start there is the same as a 10 am start in say, Mumbai.

Faisal1985

It wasn't really an early start. Guwahati is in the east of the country, and since India has only one time zone, an 8:30 start there is the same as a 10 am start in say, Mumbai.
Are you telling me that the pitch played out the same in the morning as it did in the afternoon.........? If the answer is no to this question then u should get my point. Regardless what the time zone is, a start which is between hours of 8-10AM is 1st 45 mins with the new ball are always dangerous. And when you are playing an important game like this......with a batting line up as strong as India......(mind u Ind. almost chased down the mamoth batting second in the last game), there absolutely no reason to go in and gamble like that...even if Aussies would have posted 300 runs, India would have chased it down in the afternoon..........there was no need to go in and bat first with conditions being dicey for batsmen.

To me it was simply a bad call by Dhoni.......no matter how great of a batsman you are.....negotiating 145kmph swinging early in the morning is very tough.....

IMO, This particular Aussie team was not better then Ind on paper "overall". Mitch might have tilted the balance a bit but even in bowling Aussies were playing there 2nd choice attack.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This must be a tad embarrassing for the Indian's, close to full strength, at home against an Australian team missing 3-4 key players and still losing.

Just shows, it doesn't matter what your population base is, it's all about the quality & toughness of your cricketers.

Well done Australia !

Faisal1985

This must be a tad embarrassing for the Indian's, close to full strength, at home against an Australian team missing 3-4 key players and still losing.

Just shows, it doesn't matter what your population base is, it's all about the quality & toughness of your cricketers.

Well done Australia !
No question about the "toughness" in Australia......surely well done......it would have been a totally different game had Dhoni elected to field.......i truly feel for Indian fans..first unlucky runouts came in way of what would have been a history making victory and then a bad call from the captain........

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think India are better on paper. The batting is, I'd agree. The bowling and fielding are terrible.
Funny how quickly the fielding turned to pot. It was only the fourth ODI that was being heralded as the greatest Indian fielding performance of all time.